It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monarch Butterlys of Pismo Beach, Ca

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Hey ATS'ers

A couple years back i took a trip to Pismo Beach, Ca with my kid and fiancee. We just went to get out of the valley for the weekend. Anyways on the day we were leaving i noticed a gathering of people on the side of the road and decided to check it out. When we got there i realized people were watching the migration of Monarch Butterfly's. So i grabbed my camera from the car and snapped a few pictures. It's the first time i have seen this so it was very interesting.

The "Butterfly Trees" of Pismo Beach are one of our most beloved attractions From late October through February, thousands of colorful Monarch butterflies cluster in the limbs of Eucalyptus and Monterey Pines in the area, giving the appearance of yellow and orange leaves. They travel over the Sierra Mountains and west of the Rockies. Some come from as far away as Canada to escape the colder temperatures of the north.

Here are a few pictures i took. Also, i do not have the greatest camera so bare with me.

Some caterpillars they had.

Here are a couple links with great pictures and info.

Hope you enjoy!

Pismo Beach Monarch Butterfly's

Wiki Monarch Butterfly

edit on 17-8-2011 by inthemass because: added photos

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing those pictures.
I live in Michigan and the closest I came to viewing the migration is one fall, years ago.
We were standing in a field and every so often you'd see a Monarch fly by, as if on a path, one now, then a couple more.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
That is soooo crazy. I'm moving to pismo in 11 days from Chicago. My sister was telling me about the monarch migration. Awesome. Can't wait.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Thanks for the pics..I've been there a few times and this just reminds me of how awesome nature is and how easily I forgot some of The local beauty..I live in SF Bay Area..

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
beautiful pics!!!
S & F for you

When I see the beautiful butterflies...I worry about all the pesticides people use to kill catepillars that may eat their pretty flowers....
needless to say, but I don't use any poisons in my garden..

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I was born and raised on the beautiful Central Coast!

Beautiful place, it really is

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

In addition to not using poison, may I suggest planting stuff the monarchs like:
butterfly weed, for example. Their caterpillars eat the leaves.
landscaping.about.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
So beautiful, thank you for sharing this.

I love to watch the butterflies and hummingbirds in my garden.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the replys and comments. I have a few more photos to add when I get time. Although the monarch butterflys are small and don't live long they are great creatures.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by inthemass

if you want to see where they start up north go to natural bridges state beach in santa cruz ca they have an area where you can walkthrough where they lay there cocoons and hactch and head out around the world but if ya go swiming rember its has a dangerious rip current good find op well done

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

That sounds fun to see. I'll have to check it out someday.

new topics

top topics

join