It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AWOL Air Force SSG Who Questioned Obama's Eligibility Gets an Honorable Discharge

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Now this was unexpected. I know they've thrown a few in jail for the same thing. Most recently a colonel comes to mind.
**Moran said he is receiving an honorable discharge, but the Air Force would only confirm to the AP that he is being discharged.**
www.politico.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Hmm, I wonder what this means...Why would they give an honorable discharge to someone who is absent without leave? I am not sure we are getting all of the facts that are necessary to draw a valid conclusion. It may have to do with the differences between the branches of the military, considering the army officer was jailed.

I doubt they would have honorably discharged him because they do not have the proof that is required to prove eligibility of the commander in chief. Maybe they just didn't want the publicity. That is a possibility.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Moran sounds like a real wild card & a loose canon at best. the word unstable also come to mind. he's a zealous birther and a muslim hater. it's ashame what the powers to be on the right in this country do to people. more importantly, it is beyond sad how they use their influence to warp people's minds, to turn us against each other. this guy sounds decent at heart and he's probably good at his core. he just listened to the wrong people. it's actually pretty sad. fox news will probably give him work though. or the Koch boys will find room for him in their operation. from what I understand they take care of their own.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Being former military this surprises me. In A school and bootcamp people realize they made a mistake and go AWOL all the time. If I remember right, you have 30 or 90 days to return otherwise it gets serious. Everyone came back right at the 30 or 90 day mark and they were usually separated, General, but never Honorable. I think someone wants him to shut up.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I would assume his service and character has been otherwise honorable.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

This struck me odd as well. Thanks for replying as someone whose seen this system from the inside. Doesn't this act as a slap to those who did everything right, served well and left Honorably? General wouldn't ruin his life yet wouldn't characterize him as something he isn't, right? I won't even touch the right/wrong of what the guy did or why..but it seems consequences should apply whether he did it for a 'cause' or not. Perhaps more so due to the political nature of it all?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by type0civ

You can assume all you want, military is just another branch of politics. Yes, he deserves Honorable, the fact is, when you go AWOL its bad, and they usually boot you afterwards, or you get to suffer the UCMJ. And you're not booted with Honorable, in most cases, it would seem

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Hillbilly123069

As an enlisted member, I am sure the press thought this to be a non-story. But now the cat is outta the bag, so to speak. But this guy was a NCO and as such, he should have gotten out when he first questioned his loyalties.

Officers are held to a higher standard as LTC Moran found out. But when you let one go, it just opens the flood gates.

I decided to retire as I found that I could not support the previous POTUS and would have made the same decision now under the current one. In my case, it was a personnal decision and a very complicated one.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
He's a staff sgt in the air force. He wouldn't have made it that far without having the right mindset for the job.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
the 'details' are not forthcoming.... ergo an AWOL... would result in some type of Courts Martial,,,
and a single or more reduction in Rank

a Geneal Discharge Uder Honorable Conditions (is the usual, if he presses it) outcome

there are several different levels of courts matrials to get booted out of the military
which have little importance to somebody that gets thrown back into the civilian world...
i t's the 'RE' code that counts most
One will get all sorts of grief if they get an 'Undesirable' discharge as opposed to a 'General'
(which usually falls in the category of an 'Administrative-Discharge'... a section 212

yo...im not an expert nor an authority on the subject... i'm more akin to as jail-house authority

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
Hmm, I wonder what this means...Why would they give an honorable discharge to someone who is absent without leave? I am not sure we are getting all of the facts that are necessary to draw a valid conclusion.

here is the crux of the matter... the dude/guy/gal at the E-6 level could have not been present for 'Revelle' and that would have made him technically AWOL... if a unrightious 2nd LT. had pressed the issue (which is usually the cse)

being AWOL does not have to mean that the defendant was absconded/detained/held prisoner by his moral convictions or by radical jihadists (or whatever) for days/weeks/months.... being AWOL can mean being absent from the most sublime circumstance...like ones' duty station or mess hall or even TAPs

i think the guy's getting railroaded... even without the specifics at hand !

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
This is where the story started. How he got out of the court martial I'm still reading up on.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Has anyone considered the liability that the government would have to each jailed "AWOL" soldier should it be proven that Obama was NOT really ever eligible to be potus?

I imagine it would be in the millions, and maybe that is the reason the Air force decided to let him out instead of jail and court martial.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by joe7pack

They wouldn't go to jail. They'd go on restriction. So it's more like you've been grounded by your parents. You can't play with your friends, you have extra chores, you allowance has been downsized, and you sometimes get to move out of your place and into restrictive barracks.
edit on 17-8-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hillbilly123069

I lol'd at your sig.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
This sets a bad precedent.

An enlisted man refuses to show up for duty......gets no punishment and dismissed from his military contract and sent home.

What are they going to do after the entire US military tries the same gig?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Hmm, I wonder what this means...Why would they give an honorable discharge to someone who is absent without leave?

Because he lied.

SSgt Moran was on terminal leave when he announced he was 'AWOL' by not showing up for an appointment. He was discharged by his commander on August 4, 11 days later he announces he's a birther and is being discharged because of his religious views.

Birther staff sgt. not AWOL, leaving Air Force

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hillbilly123069
He's a staff sgt in the air force. He wouldn't have made it that far without having the right mindset for the job.

He's an Opthamology Technician - what mindset is needed there?
edit on 18-8-2011 by userid1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by userid1

Originally posted by Hillbilly123069

He's an Opthamology Technician - what mindset is needed there?
edit on 18-8-2011 by userid1 because: (no reason given)

I can't speak for the other branches, but in the Air Force, promotion to Sgt, E4, is automatic with Time In Grade. After that, Promotion becomes a matter of being able to get the highest marks by testing on military education and technical career field material. I've seen 10 year MSgt's (E7's) who were great at test, but sucked at actually doing the job. These people were usually the pretty boys and girls who have been groomed from their early days to go before Airman of the Month boards because they wear the uniform good, look good, and have a Commander or Supervisor who want's to be able to brag about his or her special person while everyone else in the shop picks up this person's workload.

As for being an Honorable Discharge, I'm waiting to see his Certificate. By defination, a General Discharge is Honorable.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Hmm, I wonder what this means...Why would they give an honorable discharge to someone who is absent without leave?

Because he was NOT AWOL, read the airforcetimes news article.

Just another birther telling lies
edit on 19-8-2011 by spoor because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join