It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Teleportation goes long distance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
In a groundbreaking achievment, Physicists have successfully transported particles of light ovwe the River Danube. The distance travelled was approximatly 600m and the results of the test is crucial to the advancement in technology.

news.bbc.co.uk
Long distance teleportation is crucial if dreams of superfast quantum computing are to be realised.

Researchers from the University of Vienna and the Austrian Academy of Science used an 800m-long optical fibre fed through a public sewer system tunnel to connect labs on opposite sides of the River Danube.

The link establishes a channel between the labs, dubbed Alice and Bob. This enables the properties, or "quantum states", of light particles to be transferred between the sender (Alice) and the receiver (Bob).

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well i think i understood about 3 bits of that, but wow..some achievement huh.

Not knowing much about computers or physics i kinda guess this is based on the whole 'star trek' transporter idea?

well done to the guys anyway and hope they have more success soon.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.research.ibm.com
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 19-8-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I'm interested...

I don't understand all the scientific talk there.. so this is saying that teleportation, like as in beam me up scotty is becoming possible ?

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I think they are trying to do quantum computing not teleportation. I dont fully understand how it works either, but it uses some particles to make predictions about a problem and the quantum computer should be able to predict every possible outcome, eliminate the impossibles and come down to a single soloution.

Its semi-related to when a photon of light hits glass. The photon can pass through, bounce off and any angle, or be absorbed. The photon is actually doing all these things at once. We only see the outcome.

I recommend Ray Kurzwiel's book The Age of Spiritual Machines. It goes into detail about this (in easier to understand terms)

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I was reading new scientist the other day they were talking about the teleportation theory and how they could start the next step in to human teleportation stage if I decide to buy it I�ll put some of the information on here for you to look at.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
If they're transporting light now...a form of energy...does anyone suspect this technology could be used to transport solar energy from a location in orbit down to the ground? Hope so.

new topics

top topics

join