It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TSA New Profiling Test....If you thought flying couldn't get any worse.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Boston's Logan International Airport will become the first in the nation this week to require every single traveler to go through a quick interview with security officials trying to spot suspicious behavior. Until now, the so-called behavioral profiling — used successfully in Israel — has been used only sporadically in U.S. airports. As the system expands, so are questions about how behavioral profiling works, and how effective it might be in the U.S. Unlike the usual security pat-down, the profiling process is what you might call a "chat-down."

A chat down? You have to be kidding. These idiots are going to try "Profiling"?

Nacarra says there is a long list of hints or "tells" that can out a bad guy planning to do bad things: "The movement of the eyes, perspiring in a cool environment, the Adam's apple movement. ... I can't be more specific because they are somewhat classified," he says.

So if my "Adam's Apple" looks suspicious, what's next....Oh sorry, that's classified.

In fact, the TSA has a list of about 35 things they're listening and looking for, including on your face. Experts say certain emotions result in specific facial expressions that are universal, like smiling when happy, or raising and scrunching your eyebrows when scared.

This Agency has completely lost it. You mean they were not looking at us before?

If the "TSA" is using this video for training....We are all in trouble.

The tricky part, however, is sorting out whether a passenger is just nervous about traveling, for example, or about the bomb in his shoe. And while the Israelis seem to have mastered that, experts say Americans face unique challenges.

Wait....You can't insert logic at the very end?

But TSA officials say their goal is not so much to identify terrorists in 30 seconds, but to just sort out higher-risk passengers for more screening. "You don't have to find the needle in the haystack," says Mark Frank, professor of communications at the University of Buffalo, who is working with TSA on its behavior detection programs. "You only have to find the section of the haystack where the needle may be."

That is the most ridiculous thing I've read this year.

Source....NPR

This is the worst agency in the Government, and that is saying something.

They have completely ruined the flying experience.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
When reading this , what popped into my mind was that scene in total recall where they are waiting to go through security to board a shuttle and schwartzneggers mask goes do lally and comes off.

Seriously, i hope your country can shake off all this crap you are going through.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I'll take profiling ANY day over scanners and freedom pats. Profiling works but people in this country are too damn afraid of it because of historical racism. Profiling would have been the RIGHT way to go out the gate instead of patting people down, scanning them with dangerous radiation, and violating our rights.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

I've flown in to Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion airport a couple of times. First off they do not screen everyone. But I apparently I have the look that required screening. And here is how it went.

I could see the security guy actually weaving though people to get to me so I tried to avoid him but it did not work. He asked that I come with him to another area where I was asked what the nature of my visit was by a rather attractive women. when I told her she said "allow me to consult with my collegues" who were 3 other attarctive women by the way. Then another one asks me the same questions and give me the same response until all four had screened me. It was actually quite pleasant.
edit on 17-8-2011 by type0civ because: typo

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
It would be real nice if they only made the passengers that flunked the chat go through all the additional screening including hand carry baggage and pat downs.

I guess that's a little too much to expect though. TSA's policies seem to be just keep adding stuff on until they piss enough people off!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by type0civ

You were screened by Professional's.

That is my point. This Agency far from professional.

Also, They are not using body cues already?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
TSA's new profiling test in action..

[TSA Agent] Are you black?
[Black man] No.
[TSA Agent] Ok, you may pass.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling
TSA's new profiling test in action..

[TSA Agent] Are you black?
[Black man] No.
[TSA Agent] Ok, you may pass.

That's to technical.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Exactly. I've flown here is the US recently. It's a nightmare and only getting worse.

And I hate to say it but ALL of the TSA screeners I've encoutered are of a low calibre or quality of a person. Not at all close to the position they've hired for. It's pathetic to say the least.
edit on 17-8-2011 by type0civ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
If they are going to QUIZ americans before they travel, let's hope its not in Geography.

Maybe they can turn it into a form of game show for TV as you stand in line with a buzzer.

Kind of like "The price is right" show?

edit on 17-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Seriously, an interview to fly?

Q. Which country are you flying to sir?
A. Ohio

Thats not a country! ARREST HIM!

I eagerly await the next news saying the TSA are now using LIE DETECTOR tests.. He's sweating! ARREST HIM!
edit on 17-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I highly doubt the screening process will be something akin to the guy at the bridge in The Holy Grail

They'll be asking questions and watching the face and body to see the reactions. While the science behind this is real, they'll be putting TSA agents on it which is not exactly the same as having an expert who's studied the science for years.

science:
www.humintell.com...

Holy Grail

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing this. I'd flown last year on business relating to a family estate due to distance and other factors. If they now believe they have the right to 'interview' me as a forced step in a process I don't believe has any valid benefits to begin with, I can now say with absolute conviction, I won't fly again unless it's a life and death issue.

Leave it to the U.S. to take one of the finest and most effective systems in the world for Airport Security as put together by Israel and utterly destroy it in the name of P.C. and liability to where it has all the WORST parts and not a single aspect of the EFFECTIVE parts remaining.

I mean, c'mon. The Israeli model is very effective precisely because their approach is somewhat casual and seemingly random. You may or may not ever know you'd been approached and spoken with a member of Israel's Security Services, or you may see them coming..and that is part of what they are looking for (or so they've said in documentaries on the topic.)

Oh well....I didn't have many places I'd ever need to fly to again anyway. That tears it though. They finally reached my personal line where I can accept no more in exchange for an over-priced, under-serviced and general miserable method of traveling. ARG!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I am ok with profiling any day over someone feeling me up to see if I have bomb hidden under my scrotum. It is about time we look at other ways of doing this, like Israel, they have been successful with it.

However....My concern are the dimwits that are actually doing the screening. TSA are not highly trained to be effective at this. At the moment, if the screeners are not well versed in psychology and/or sociology then they will be ineffective at achieving this.

This is a great idea, now let us see how poorly the plan is executed.
edit on 17-8-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
I am ok with profiling any day over someone feeling me up to see if I have bomb hidden under my scrotum. It is about time we look at other ways of doing this, like Israel, they have been successful with it.

However....My concern are the dimwits that are actually doing the screening. TSA are not highly trained to be effective at this. At the moment, if the screeners are not well versed in psychology and/or sociology then they will be ineffective at achieving this.

This is a great idea, now let us see how poorly the plan is executed.
edit on 17-8-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

Are you also ok with your neighbours reporting your suspicious curtain's being closed when its sunny?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by type0civ

Same thing happened to me in Israel--twice. It was much easier than in the US. I was "selected" as the spokesman for our tour group. Why me? I dunno. I'm taller and older than most with a prominent mustache. I don't know if that's good or bad. In any case, they were very upfront with me, told me they were trying to make sure there was no terrorism. They asked where we had been, whether anyone could have gotten to the bags: simple, no-brainer questions, really. Took just a couple of minutes both times and voila: thirty people thru that fast.

We had our bags checked because my wife had collected bags of sand from the Sea of Galilee, the Red Sea, the Dead Sea, etc. so the bag got spit out. The gal said, "Did you collect this sand yourself?"

"No," I said. "She did!" pointing at my wife.

"You threw me under the bus," she complained.

"No. I just didn't want to lie to security!" I insisted.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

Sure, let them, I do not care as I have nothing to hide.

It will just give me a reason to tell someone to piss off.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
i think i'd be screwed. i have trouble looking people in the eyes, so i tend to look around at small details in the room while i talk. i can see it now "what's this guy hiding? lookin around the room like that...nervous too..lets incarcerate him."

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I would just make small talk and have a conversation, show them i'm not really a terrorist.

Just go to the airport looking like you want to go home as quick as possible, don't draw attention to yourself, or maybe you should depending on how you do it, the right kind of attention and you might get the right response, which is nothing, and that's good.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I would just make small talk and have a conversation, show them i'm not really a terrorist.

Just go to the airport looking like you want to go home as quick as possible, don't draw attention to yourself, or maybe you should depending on how you do it, the right kind of attention and you might get the right response, which is nothing, and that's good.

That's the problem, you accept it as OK, then the next thing , you accept that as OK and so on.. IT just continues on and on and on because it is just OK.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join