It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Waging war against the media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
It's time for the tables to turn, and time for a better change. Me growing up in the early 80's I've witnessed outstanding shows that were once on television that are on no longer. It saddens me that every time I watch T.V. now days people witness the dark side of the media. I just want to post something about a show in which I despise. That show is Real Housewives.

Russell Armstrong Suicide

You can see how this affects the human mind. Someone who was portrayed as a violent person in a show ended up having depression or violent behavior in real life, yet we allow these awful shows to continue. The media is definitely taking a toll on mankind. If we continue to allow shows like these to be aired there is no telling what will happen to our society in years to come. We shouldn't be worrying about other countries, we should be worrying about the media.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I don't think you can blame the media.

If nobody WATCHED the show, it would have been gone within 10 episodes. I never bothered to watch it, myself -- couldn't imagine what was entertaining about it, either. Come to think of it, there's a lot of shows that I don't watch.

The Internet is changing the face of the media, though -- even Youtube channels help fuel the demand for types of shows.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

I agree that the media panders to the lowest denominator in our culture - however I see the problem that so many sheeple are watching them as perhaps even more distressing. I agree that ideally our media should educate, humor, and inspire - but until fame, celebrity and conflict are no longer worshiped, it is a losing proposition in our society.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Well exactly what I mean its more of a message simply don't watch the garbage. We are condoning these types of reality shows, because our society has evolved into the stuck up housewives, where they are pampered with money, jewelry, and everyday is a manicure or a shopping spree. Also you have Jersey Shore or Keepin' up with the Kardashians. Garbage, yet people tune into these shows. These shows can be stopped by simply not watching them, however; parents of America need to wake up, and keep an eye on what their children watch. Children tend to be what they see on television every girl wants to be a Snooky, or a Kim, and males want to be the pimp mack daddy who think just because they act like those Jersey Shore fools think they can spit game. Soon I hope to see these shows disappear. Simple act of war by using the philosophy of Bruce Lee "The Art Of Fighting, Without Fighting." Blood will not be shed, but hearts will be broken once these shows are cancelled.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

If you are dissatisfied with the media; stop your crybaby whining and start up your own production company, create your own programming, shows, web series, write your own scripts, etc.

Become a producer/director.

That's what I did. You can too; the www has changed everything!!

www.sag.org...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Thanks for the information, but if people have the right to cry and complain about politics and other random things then I have every right to be upset about today's media. I am just trying to spread a message. A message that should be taken serious soon.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

creating a media company and showing what you want to show, wouldnt stop opportunists from exploiting 'lavish life' couples so they can make a buck off a viewer's envy or those who love to hate.

That is the business of these reality shows these days, and on one side they serve a grimm reminder of how rediculous people often behave in 'civilized' Amerika, their exposure creates a social discourse on the norms within identifying 'statuses'. Example being that if you see a douche bag that looks like someone off the jersey shore, it reminds you that that douche bags are more popular because of the show and that the more you don't approve of the lifestyle, the more popular it becomes.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by juveous

This goes way beyond just reality T.V. shows its the mainstream music on the radio as well. I'm just scratching the surface of what really needs to be unmasked. I can see through the medias facade can you?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

But its not like this has just popped up, its been slowly devolving. I don't know what's next, but at the very least more people are able to see its effects thanks to the internet.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by juveous

Well media corporations did their homework to say the least. They began experimenting in the 90's, but I guess they figured out they would wait til the 21st century and make reality shows a trend, and now since we are progressing forward it's going to be difficult for people to look back and say "What just happened?" By then it will be too late to turn back.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
You can see how this affects the human mind. Someone who was portrayed as a violent person in a show ended up having depression or violent behaviour in real life, yet we allow these awful shows to continue. The media is definitely taking a toll on mankind. If we continue to allow shows like these to be aired there is no telling what will happen to our society in years to come. We shouldn't be worrying about other countries, we should be worrying about the media.

I never watch television. It causes severe decay of social fabric & extreme dischord in our existential outlook. I live in the UK.. sometimes I may turn on the news, the bbc news & listen to the most inhumanely orated news item thinking to myself WOW this society is going to take a loong time to recover & wake up from this hypnosis we have been put under by the illuminati media. They control perception therefore they control everything. This war is long overdue!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EmeraldGreen

I agree my friend, well said.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Although people will never admit it, everyone is greatly influenced by the media. Imagine how most people would dress if there was no such things as TV, magazines or anything that dictates fashion. Everyone would probably look very different.

It's even worse when it comes to music and music video's, namely hip hop and rap videos that promote violence and crime. It does nothing but influence EVERYONE who likes rap and hip hop to take on such attitudes in life. Society needs to reject such perpetuation of violence if they don't want it in their own plain and simple. I remember how France banned "violent" hip hop after they had riots. Why hasn't America done anything like that when they have the highest incarceration rates in the world?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
GORE VIDAL(1925-), the master essayist of our age, has been called the best all-around American man of letters since Edmund Wilson(1895-1972). He has written a great deal about American society and its media. He began his writing career at nineteen in 1944, the year I was born. In 1962, the year I prepared for my university entrance exams, and begin my own serious literary and academic study, Vidal published his first book of essays entitled: Rocking the Boat. Books of his essays and interviews, novels and memoirs kept appearing as I entered the teaching profession in the 1960s and finally retired in the 1990s. He’s still going, although not as strong at 85 and often in a wheel-chair.-Ron Price with thanks to Harry Kloman, “Gore Vidal’s Essays, Interviews and Memoirs: 1963-Present,” 2005.

He always impressed me with
his remarkable wit and talent:
5 decades of scintillating words
in books & live whenever I saw
him on TV…He saw the moral-
intellectual hollowness of USA
politics at the same I did—in the
early 1960s with those Kennedys
and so he spent the rest of his life
writing books and essays--a lot of
other stuff(1)---thinking on paper for
a world slowly captured by electronic
distractions. Still, we go on talking about
books and writing them pretending not to
notice that the church is empty and people
have gone over to attend to other gods in
silence or new words. Surely it’s not that
bad, is it Gore? Is it?(2)

1 The Washington Post calls him “the master essayist of our age.” See David Barsamian, “Citizen Gore Vidal,” These Times, 3 November 2008
2 George Scialabba, “Civic Virtues: Gore Vidal’s Selected Essays,” The Nation, 8 October 2008.

Ron Price
For the ATS
Internet Site
On: 5 October 2011

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Well I'd completely disagree with you on this but you know I won't.

SnF for a fine thread.

The propaganda is rampant and sickening. Shows like family guy make me want to vomit. I see no humor in them because of the seriousness of the matter at hand. I'm disgusted even tho it will continue it's downward spiral right to hell. T.V. is an abomination by definition.

We will never see shows like this again and I think it's very sad. Even the intro music was refined.

edit on 4-10-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I honestly think that the media is controlled by evil organizations that intent to brainwash people
and keep their minds distracted whats actully really going on in our world today

and heck their doing a pretty good job at that

new topics

top topics

join