It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the worlds problems really our concern?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Whether you look out your front door or turn on your t.v., you will see conflict, famine, poverty, disease, etc. I also see commercials that say they need our help, usually money to help out the less fortunate. Sure people try to help others by giving money, food, water but really no matter how much we give it will never be enough. Call me heartless but I do not feel it is my responsibility to be a savior to all the people in the world suffering. Its not my fault they are suffering, if I had it my way no one would suffer. If people have a problem with people that do nothing to help, blame evolution or god(which ever you believe) for making these situations a reality.

I understand I will take a lot of heat for this but at least I'm being honest.

Does anyone else feel it is not their responsibility to save the world?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I doubt whether people who give to these charities do so out of a feeling of responsibility. They undoubtedly get for themselves, for doing so, a sense of self-gratification.

If you do not feel any sympathy for those you see in need, or simply don't feel that is your place to help those people, fine. But apparently something about that is nagging you or you wouldn't have made this thread.

Personally, the only charitable organization I have donated to is Make-a-Wish. I feel that they actually do something instead of just trying to do something.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
What if you never turned on your T.V, or read the paper, so on and so on.
You wouldn't know about any suffering unless its in the areas you see around you.

So really, you shouldn't feel guilty because its not natural to help these people.
It sounds harsh but if you want to help, I'm sure there's plenty of unpublicised poverty and so on, round the corner from where you live.

Don't give to big charities where who knows where your moneys going. Go physically sort your local community out. And if you just don't care then just ignore it as if any other advertising.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Just live by the golden rule. It's really all you can do. Just treat others just as you want to be treated.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy
Call me heartless but I do not feel it is my responsibility to be a savior to all the people in the world suffering.

Whose responsibility is it then?

Its not my fault they are suffering,

It's not? Are you sure about that?

If anyone is suffering on this planet, then it is the fault of those of us who are not suffering. You, me, whoever.
We have the capability to eliminate suffering, yet we would rather be consumed by the material world. Oh, gotta have the latest iToy, 60" 3D TV, etc etc.

if I had it my way no one would suffer.

You are just saying that to try and 'save face'. You have a choice, you have free will, you can help. Yet you have made it clear you don't want to help anyone.

If people have a problem with people that do nothing to help, blame evolution or god(which ever you believe) for making these situations a reality.

Evolution or God didn't make these problems. Humans did, by being selfish and greedy.

Yes you should take alot of heat, but you will not be alone in your thinking, that I am sure. There are alot of self-centered people on this planet, too many. They are holding us back from advancing.

st.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by americanbuffalo1
Just live by the golden rule. It's really all you can do. Just treat others just as you want to be treated.

YES! THE GOLDEN RULE, how many have frogotten

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Far too many I'm afraid!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I believe we are responsible for each other.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SatoriTheory

Call me heartless but I do not feel it is my responsibility to be a savior to all the people in the world suffering.

Whose responsibility is it then?

Its not my fault they are suffering,

It's not? Are you sure about that?

If anyone is suffering on this planet, then it is the fault of those of us who are not suffering. You, me, whoever.
We have the capability to eliminate suffering, yet we would rather be consumed by the material world. Oh, gotta have the latest iToy, 60" 3D TV, etc etc.

if I had it my way no one would suffer.

You are just saying that to try and 'save face'. You have a choice, you have free will, you can help. Yet you have made it clear you don't want to help anyone.

If people have a problem with people that do nothing to help, blame evolution or god(which ever you believe) for making these situations a reality.

Evolution or God didn't make these problems. Humans did, by being selfish and greedy.

Yes you should take alot of heat, but you will not be alone in your thinking, that I am sure. There are alot of self-centered people on this planet, too many. They are holding us back from advancing.

st.

SatoriTheory, I have an open mind so if you answer my questions I can maybe see where you are coming from more.

Explain to me why others peoples problems are my responsibility?
Explain to me how it is my fault that people suffer?
You say we have the capacity to end suffering, but how so?
How am I trying to save face when I am being honest?
You say I have free will but what do you mean by that? Do you know my personal circumstances?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Not addressed to me, but here's my take:

"Explain to me why others peoples problems are my responsibility?"
Because sooner or later they will become your problems, if they already aren't.

"Explain to me how it is my fault that people suffer?"
Because you still suffer, thus until you find the cessation of suffering, nearly everything you do will promote suffering in some way.

"You say we have the capacity to end suffering, but how so?"
Make it your only desire.

"How am I trying to save face when I am being honest?"
You get a flag for being honest, but your trying to save face because your justifying something you deep down know is wrong.

"You say I have free will but what do you mean by that? Do you know my personal circumstances?"
Won't touch this one.

Peace friend.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

In my opinion, take care of your own, nobody has done this. I say charity begins in the home or rather home country. Millions of Americans displaced due to foreclosures living in rat infested motels or tent cities and the STUPID idiots in the government sends our money to these corners of the world who should, in fact, be protecting their own, it isn't our responsibility. When everything is fairly settled here, and we have leftover funds then reach out to the world beyond.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Only if we lose our "concern" about the problems of the world, are we in a position to be helpful. It's what I call "the first concern" which drives the wheel of insanity.

To be without concern, does not mean to be without compassion, even that of the suffering servant. It is simply to be at peace with what is, and who are we to say that what is must not be what it is, particularly if there is much learning to be done (said like Yoda).

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
You clearly don't have a responsibility to anyone else. So it is entirely possible to live without any concern about problems

You don't need to look around and see what is happening, nor feel any need to do anything about it. If trouble comes to roost with you, you can deal with it then.

You've effectively reached the moral level of responsibility of an herbivore on the savanna.

The parts of your brain intended to detect, assess, manage and mitigate problems before they get to you is hard wired.

Yours is set to the same setting as an antelope - I see the hunger tiger, but it hasn't leaped at me specifically yet. I'll just keep eating. Maybe she'll eat the guy grazing next to me.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Explain to me why others peoples problems are my responsibility?

Are we on about 'other peoples problems' or are we talking about 'suffering'?
I thought we were talking suffering. By standing by and watching other people suffer, all you are doing is promoting suffering, you are essentially saying "it's ok for people to suffer". One day it could be you. Would you want someone to stand by and watch you suffer?

Explain to me how it is my fault that people suffer?

Because you let them. We all have the ability to help prevent any form of suffering. If people are suffering, its because we are of the mindset that "it's not my responsibilty".

How many of us want to live in a nice home, with the latest gadgets, nice clothes, well stocked food cupboards?
All those things don't just materialize into existence, someone has to spend the time creating them, and they most likely get paid the bare minimum because we, the consumer, want everything dirt cheap, and we, the business owner, want to make maximum profit.

We would rather be living our own 'non-suffering' lifestyles. 'Ignore the suffering and it is not there' type attitude.

You say we have the capacity to end suffering, but how so?

Help out in any way you can. Give clothing. Donate money. Volunteer. Talk to people, ask them if you can help, how you can help. Change your attitude, find your empathy, imagine yourself in their shoes.

How am I trying to save face when I am being honest?

In your heart, you know that refusing to do anything is wrong, so you are trying to look better by claiming 'you would like to end suffering', even though you have no desire to help end suffering.

You say I have free will but what do you mean by that? Do you know my personal circumstances?

Free will - you have a choice.
Your personal circumstances do not affect your 'free will'.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
SatoriTheory, I do enjoy your replies and I can see your point of view. I don't expect everyone to have the same views as me but it is nice to hear others opinions.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Love and treat others as you would Love and treat yourself.

Empathy, Love, Compassion, Selflessness.

All you need to know is that if I saw you being robbed or beaten, I would step in to help you. If you were starving and I knew it, I would give you food or money. Whether you know it or not, you are my brother, just as all humans are my brethren. I am my brother's keeper.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Does anyone else feel it is not their responsibility to save the world?

If I am really honest, I will acknowledge that you and I are similar. We stay in our own space as much as we can, and keep to ourselves, and hope that that will save us.

Here's the problem, though. It won't. The psychopaths who are primarily responsible for the current mess, will not rest until literally every individual on the planet, every form of life, every blade of grass, is under the heel. Subjugated, enslaved, or destroyed.

So we can sit in front of our TVs and computers, telling ourselves that if we don't do anything wrong, if we keep our heads down, we don't have anything to worry about...but it's not true. Sooner or later, when they've dealt with everyone else, it will be our turn.

The sad reality is that if we're on this planet, we're in the game, whether we like it or not...and believe me, I really don't. My last incarnation ended with suicide, and I did NOT want to come back; but here I am.
edit on 18-8-2011 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Just remember the next time your buying that video game or eating that expensive meal at mcdonalds there is a child starving somewhere and God has his eye on you.

How will you be judged?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
You might not believe in the bible, but not all people who call Jesus lord are going to heaven, but the people who do God's will. I think it's God will to help others and give freely.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
We are all ONE. What happens to one happens to all.
Look for your answer among these words.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join