It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychological Relativity and Indeterminate Truth.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Are you big or small?

Is the earth big or small?

Are you smart or dumb?

Are you rich or poor?

The answer to all of these questions is yes.

The answer cannot be determined except by how you choose to determine it. If you want to arrive at a place of truth, stop determining.

My computer screen is relatively very 'small' (10 inches). At the other side of the room, it is still ten inches, but now it looks more like 2. So to see the truth, see it as 2 instead of 10. At the other side of the room, it could still be perceived to be ten inches by the knowledge of it being ten inches. However, the truth is that it is no longer ten inches, because I have moved. My point is, try to see things as they are and not how you remember them to be or how you have been conditioned to believe that they are. That is what truth is.
edit on 17-8-2011 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This is true, but there's nothing new to see..

So how can we not percieve things through our memory of how they were when we first saw these things.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
ive been reading your posts man and i really liked the one about us being god......ive felt the same feeling youve had, the oneness, it was surreal, i think we truly are one thing, whatever it is that we were split itself into many pieces to better understand every aspect of the world, when consciousness talks to each other(aka when we talk to each other) we are just relating our subjective experiences to each other, "its" essentially talking to itself...
btw theres no way to message people? i tried and it said you can only message ats staff, whats up with that? ive been very troubled by the thoughts ive been having and honestly its comforting to see other people also having them and exploring, its a lonely path sometimes man......

what im really into is trying to understand the mechanism of consciousness, i dont know if i can find the purpose or origin but at least i want to try to understand the mechanism, why we have unique consciousness and im not in more than two heads at once......to me its all about the subjective relation we have to the universe, everyone occupies a different space on earth so everyone has a unique set of data coming in to his sensory organs, this unique data expresses itself as a unique mind with consciousness, but remember we are all the same thing, as i write this to you i still think we are the same thing trying to talk to itself, giving each other our perspective, like reporters who live in different parts of the world trying to tell each other what we have seen....
edit on 17-8-2011 by subjectivelife because: added more

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
ive been reading your posts man and i really liked the one about us being god......ive felt the same feeling youve had, the oneness, it was surreal, i think we truly are one thing, whatever it is that we were split itself into many pieces to better understand every aspect of the world, when consciousness talks to each other(aka when we talk to each other) we are just relating our subjective experiences to each other, "its" essentially talking to itself...
btw theres no way to message people? i tried and it said you can only message ats staff, whats up with that? ive been very troubled by the thoughts ive been having and honestly its comforting to see other people also having them and exploring, its a lonely path sometimes man......

what im really into is trying to understand the mechanism of consciousness, i dont know if i can find the purpose or origin but at least i want to try to understand the mechanism, why we have unique consciousness and im not in more than two heads at once......to me its all about the subjective relation we have to the universe, everyone occupies a different space on earth so everyone has a unique set of data coming in to his sensory organs, this unique data expresses itself as a unique mind with consciousness, b

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
This is true, but there's nothing new to see..

So how can we not percieve things through our memory of how they were when we first saw these things.

You have to quiet your mind so that you aren't operating from memory, you are living only in the moment. Meditation is a good tool.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by subjectivelife

There is the experience, and the experiencer. To me, I am the experiencer. To you, I am the experience. So which is it? See, even that is relative. The truth is, you are both. The experiencer and the experience are one thing. That is oneness. It is sometimes a lonely path, that's why I joined ATS.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

I see,
I've tried meditation, hypnosis, brain entrainment.
But sorry to say my mind is relentless, I can't keep it quiet. I really tried to get into that sort of thing, but it seems impossible. I wonder if meditation is the key, or can one let their mind wonder and still reach the same conclusions?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21

I see,
I've tried meditation, hypnosis, brain entrainment.
But sorry to say my mind is relentless, I can't keep it quiet. I really tried to get into that sort of thing, but it seems impossible. I wonder if meditation is the key, or can one let their mind wonder and still reach the same conclusions?

I was very successful at meditation, then I reached a point where I couldn't do it, and now I'm back to where I can.

A certain realization that I had led me to be successful again. That realization was the importance and significance of the now moment.

When I realized that there is nothing to think about other than what is going on right now because nothing exists except for what is going on right now, then I was able to medtiate again. The past and the future are only thoughts about the past and the future that exist in the 'now'. So the key is to stop brain activity. Don't try to force yourself into this mindset or another, just be still and know that stillness is the way. And stillness only occurs in the now. It is not a goal to arrive at because that would imply a future event, and it can only occur in the now. So don't try to be still, just be still.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Good thread, smithjustinb. Makes sense to me, although I can understand why others may look at this and say, "Umm... Ok?"

The object and subject are one, and when we truly see things in this light then we experience the totality of the experience completely at once, without any time lapse or use of memory. In ancient China, before painting, artists would sit and meditate in front of a tree for sometimes months until they became the tree. So they were not painting from memory or imitation, rather they were expressing themselves as a tree. This is why their tree paintings were/are world renown as some of the most accurate and beautiful paintings.

Peace.

new topics

top topics

join