It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AES encryption is cracked

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod
This is simply not a crack, this is a weakness in AES keystrength.

Your point? What do you think the title of the story used in the OP should have been?

You are clearly not a security person.

Wanna go? Where did you get the impression that I was in security?

You really need to brush up on the math in question. Losing two bits is really not a big deal

Sure is. It is the chink in the notion that this particular security system is suitable for the governments of the world... including ours... or perhaps you think otherwsie?

I would appreciate any sharing of the wisdom you intimate elevates you beyond having to elaborate.

BTW, there are a great number of things I am not.... let's get that out of the way.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
I bet Them have had this for years.
i bet a new one will pop up!
and it will be unbreakable.
and Them have the Key to it.

I wouldn't bet against you! That does seem to be the way of things.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1
I'm pretty sure that AES was cracked months ago. I haven't read the article, but this is news that I heard quite some time ago already.

You might be right. This was the first time I saw anything published about it. They probably got the news the same place you did... but they don't cite any other articles...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
locks, and encryption were made for honest people...

www.tgdaily.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
"Your point? What do you think the title of the story used in the OP should have been?"

Responsible media has been going with new AES attack. And that is correct, this is an attack on AES, it is in no way cracked.

"Sure is. It is the chink in the notion that this particular security system is suitable for the governments of the world... including ours... or perhaps you think otherwsie?"

No it's not. That leads to my security comment. If you understood this as a security engineer you'd realize this isn't (at least yet) really a big deal. Heck, quoting the paper itself "As our attacks are of high computational complexity, they do not threaten the practical use of AES in any way"

So, we have the security community saying it's not a big deal, the researchers saying its not a big deal, but you saying it IS a big deal. Guess whom I'm going to choose to beleive...

edit on 19-8-2011 by Zaphod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by N34Li3Z

I saw that last year.... thanks for bringing it to the table!

Quantum Encryption hacked

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod
"Your point? What do you think the title of the story used in the OP should have been?"

Responsible media has been going with new AES attack. And that is correct, this is an attack on AES, it is in no way cracked.

"Sure is. It is the chink in the notion that this particular security system is suitable for the governments of the world... including ours... or perhaps you think otherwsie?"

No it's not. That leads to my security comment. If you understood this as a security engineer you'd realize this isn't (at least yet) really a big deal. Heck, quoting the paper itself "As our attacks are of high computational complexity, they do not threaten the practical use of AES in any way"

So, we have the security community saying it's not a big deal, the researchers saying its not a big deal, but you saying it IS a big deal. Guess whom I'm going to choose to beleive...

As far as the title of the thread, you are correct...but it comes from the media, not me.

If you are a decider of which security system represents the long term encryption choice for government defense and intelligence use, I propose that accepting this as "no big deal" represents a 'good enough' consumer mindset. That may be expedient for business, but not national security.

"....they do not threaten the practical use of AES in any way" - sounds like famous last words to me. And I grant you qualified your comments with an "(at least yet)" which tells me you are not oblivious to the eventual 'end' of this road.

Evidently, you do think that AES is safe 'enough.' Your background as a security professional can not reassure me because I don't believe in waiting until the scheme has been completely compromised before recognizing that it must be changed. This isn't marketing. Neither you nor I have anything to "sell" (at least I think.)

It's not a personal thing, (although it appears that some prefer to approach it that way).

Apparently, the fact that people are making (and publishing) a concerted effort to exploit any weaknesses of AES, and succeeding, doesn't carry any connotations for you about it's viability. That is certainly your right to assert. I simply disagree.... and I submit that I am allowed to do that.

Mind you, I have no contention with the information you offer here, it is not invalid, and anyone reading the article would probably be inclined to accept that this wasn't a 'crack' of the AES encryption scheme.... but why it comes down to a discussion of this tone is eludes me. I simply cannot relate to some who apparently feel so aloof that they simply disregard opinions offered, without so much as an effort to share the rationale for doing so.
edit on 19-8-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

no problem OP, I think to myself, "if quantum encryption can be hacked," what chance does any other encryption standard have in hopes of keeping it's security, then it reminded me of an old saying a lady once told me, "Locks were meant for honest people."

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by N34Li3Z

well, it was a hack I believe, not a crack on the encryption, it was a stolen key, so technically I guess quantum encryption hasn't been cracked yet, they used a remote photon detector to do the quantum sniffing of the encryption key, and stole it. SO....I guess it hasn't been cracked, so "hacked" and encryption key stolen is more the situation, so quantum encryption still hasn't been cracked yet, but we do need measures to ensure the key can't be stolen which is much easier than a crack-proof algorithm

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by JennaDarling

Truthfully, we are never going to be able to outsmart ourselves... it seems silly to keep trying. The best security is compartmentalization and one-time encryption transpositions. Eventually though, unless we start speaking a different language, anything can be deciphered, given enough time.

You're wrong and I'll tell you why.
Even if they can crack the encryption you just have key-files to hand and any correct password they obtain is useless without them

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Just in case any were still following the story... I found it once again characterized as 'cracked.'

MM

news.techeye.net...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join