It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

400,000 Somali children to die (of starvation) without more aid

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
They need birth control and sterilization..if you feed and save all of these people where will be in future? Back to square on only with a million more starving...i'm not trying to be callus...just trying to be real. If you feed them sterilize them.

This has to be the number one solution I have thought this would help no end. You dont need to make it permanent but enough to cut down the stupidly breeding like rabbits birth rate would really help. I often wonder though how these people have energy for sex. If kids are starving then surley the adults are going without beecause I can tell you I would go hungry before my kids would.

Or it is a case of starve the children so the AID keeps coming in hard to have a starving adult on the telly begging for food or money. Slap a starving kid on the telly and bammm right in for the heart strings.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
It's not just Somali that needs to force birth control, they need to do it in the US for people on welfare that continue to have kids they can't support without tax payer hand outs.
I watched a new clip about a city having trouble with issuing food stamps (computer glitch) and a lady on it was saying "i have 6 kids to feed, i need my food stamps now". Perfect example of why people on welfare should be required to use birth control or pay to have the plastic tube that keep you from getting pregnant.

Anyone on welfare who is too lazy to look for a job should be required to do x hours of community service every week, help repay tax money they receive. They could clean the parks, pick up trash on the side of the road or help a local non-profit organization like the Salvation Army. That would put an end to lazy parents who want to sit at home all day watching tv on a 50" LCD tv while collecting welfare.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The western way of charity, pouring billions into bottomless pit that is Africa, has failed spectacularly. Maybe it is indeed time for China to try something new, what this continent desperately needs - they are experts in population control, after all.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Your ideas are inhumane at the beginning, and don't improve if one ignores your lack of humanity and only looks at it from a strictly contributing factors point of view.

I dont think so

Bringing children into this world is inhumane if they will die weeks or months after being born. Normally from starvation or from dirty water.

Very PC of you

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Ahhh.... while "the poor will always be with us", what about Matthew 25:42??

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
OK, since no-one can help me I've been looking around myself. I'm picking Save The Children SaveTheChildren.org... I'm reading that Save The Children has been "top-rated by charity watchdogs, (but I can't figure out who these 'charity watchdogs' are, and I don't have much time to continue researching.) They claim 90% rate, (some programs are higher), not sure if they are as effective??

I read some people don't want to feed uneducated people, but I note they have a program labelled: "Help keep children in conflict zones in school"

In New Zealand we can get 33% back in tax refunds for money we donate, provided the program is approved of by the Country. I just checked to confirm that Save the Children is approved and it is, they have their own website for the country: SavetheChildren.org.nz... They also had this to say, which is a new idea I hadn't heard of:

"Payroll giving is the easy way to support Save the Children, directly from your salary or wages. Donating in this way means your tax refund (33 cents in every dollar) can be credited back to you immediately instead of at the end of the financial year.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ovumcranium

How convenient. The toilet would be just as effective a place for your money. And your government will subsidize your generosity? That low on the charity chart no wonder you feel so guilty.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TreadUpon

Actually darling I'm an American. We do live in other countries too you know. And sometimes these countries are hit by tragedy. I guess we should stay in good ol' safe and sound USA.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Some could argue that, if these unfortunate children die, that it was meant to be.

Some could argue that these children and people are the new test and task for all of humanity.

Better pray we don't fail again this time.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ovumcranium
...Actually darling I'm an American. We do live in other countries too you know...

Hahaha...Americans in other countries is probably the lions share of those countries charity numbers! Why do we care so much about a world full of people that hate us? It doesn't even matter if they're wrong or right, nobody on the planet would ever lift a finger to help any one of us.

Let them eat cake...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Well Sweetheart, you certainly have your opinions don't you?? "Let them eat cake??!!" Remind me WHY she got the guillotine???

Foreigners would help you more than you know. I would even help you. For example, "Hey dear, I would suspect you had more education if you corrected the spelling in your signature." But hey, I don't even bother with one...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
UNICEF

this is where you should donate $10 or something larger if you can

I already have

none of this discussion is saving any lives

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I was reading that the problem was artificially inflated food prices. That the whole thing is really, really complicated - that it's not just 'famine' but that it is famine being used as a weapon to force people into politics and policies that they normally wouldn't want.

If you have a really really poison environment causing food sources to die, do you feed the people or do you get rid of the poison? Do you do just one?

400,000 is a lot, a WHOLE LOT of kids to die.

It's really, really, REALLY messed up, but I'm looking at it, and I'm seeing more like...kids at risk of dying in a war. It's just such a weapon - a weapon of the REALLY cruel.

And I know that compared to this, the US have it Oh so easy - but it's looking at situations like this that make me angry when local governments or HOAs do stuff like outlaw chickens completely, or front yard gardens- you know, make food production illegal.

So I look and yes, I see starving people, but there's something in the background that is really, really evil causing it. It's went too far.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Aid will solve nothing. I hate to say it but these kids and people need to die. The country will recover once it gets to a point that they feed the people with what they produce. Trowing money at this problem only makes it worse. Its a money pit, even if you give them money and or food its going to run out.

Once enough people die this problem will solve itself.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ovumcranium

Well Sweetheart, you certainly have your opinions don't you?? "Let them eat cake??!!" Remind me WHY she got the guillotine???

Foreigners would help you more than you know. I would even help you. For example, "Hey dear, I would suspect you had more education if you corrected the spelling in your signature." But hey, I don't even bother with one...

Well bless your heart, I guess you aren't as good a speller as you might suspect Ms. Egghead. Unfortunately your misinformed honey-dipped barbs only add to my disdain. Though it is funny to watch an absolute fail from your haughty pedestal of intellectual opulence.

Did you know when the French Queen (gosh I'd hate to have to spell Antoinette) said that, the "cake" she was referring to was the built up soot and nastiness from inside their stoves?

Not that it matters. This year feed the children or a warlord. You'll never know who you're helping but you're really good at tricking yourself into thinking you're smart though.
edit on 21-8-2011 by TreadUpon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Isn't the U.S. bombing Somalia right now? I'm sure they consider that benevolent aid. Don't be so quick to throw your money at Somalia just because you hear a Sally Struthers type of story about Somalia. Whenever foreign money goes into these types of countries, it always goes to those in charge, which bankrupt the rest of the economy which causes the starvation. I mean if there really was no food in Somalia people would migrate away.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

I'm confused, why would you referring to soot build up in your earlier quote? ("Let them eat cake")
Phrase Origin Finder:
"It is widely attributed to Marie-Antoinette (1755-93), the Queen consort of Louis XVI. She is supposed to have said this when she was told that the French populace had no bread to eat. The original French is 'Qu'ils mangent de la brioche', i.e. 'Let them eat brioche' (brioche is a form of cake made of flour, butter and eggs). The usual interpretation of the phrase is that Marie-Antoinette understood little about the plight of the poor and cared even less. "

Sometimes I think we all understand little about the plight of the poor. There hasn't been a drought this bad in 60 years. Many of these folks did have homes, farms, livestock, etc., were self-supporting and better educated than the average American. I'm disappointed that there is this huge catastrophe going on, and only a couple of threads with few flags.

Truly, open your eyes, I was helping. Everyone spells poorly on occasion, out of laziness or habit. But your signature line is your reflection of sorts as well as your avatar. Few people care enough to read this thread and see what I wrote, but many will see your signature for time to come and when they see you don't know how a simple apostrophe works you are less credible than you apparently want to be. As for me, I obviously don't really care what I reflect, thus I don't bother with an avatar or signature. Cheers!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

This has come up before.
The United States contributes more food aid than any other country in the world, enough to feed about 55 million people in 2006.

CARE Turns Down U.S. Food Aid
www.time.com...
www.nytimes.com...

You will find a ton of criticism of the US sending boats full of food instead of money to organizations to embezzle... errr I mean to buy other countries food to donate.... well, here are boatloads of food we buy from ourselves to send as aid... We know you would rather have cash to embezzle or support other farming countries, or have your country's boats ship the stuff for profit for yourselves but that isn't the American Taxpayers job... to buy overpriced foreign agriculture to donate.... We can buy and ship our own surplus grain wherever you want it! We have more than enough to donate without making someone else rich with borrowed money! (And that is the goal when the UN, IMF and WTO are involved..more money to embezzle!.. mmmm a dream come true)

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 22-8-2011 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join