It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

400,000 Somali children to die (of starvation) without more aid

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Reminds me of hearing about missionaries who went to Africa and showed the starving natives how to keep from having more kids with condoms, and demonstrated how to use them with brooms.

They came back 3 years later and there were more kids than there were before. Looking around they noticed the condoms they had left....on all the broom handles.

Your right. Hard to understand why to feel for them when its nowhere to live or is a place to have more children if youre starving. I feel bad for them but...quit procreating and move to a more prosperous place to support crops and kids. We cant keep worrying about the world and the way and places they live.
edit on 17-8-2011 by LazloFarnsworth because: grammar

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Certainly a terrible tragedy.
The solution is all too obvious, of course.
Anyway, There are a billion blackfellas in Africa, plenty to go round.

Perhaps people should ask why there are only 1000 tigers left in the wild.

Or why there are only 2000 Orangutans left in the wild.

Or why the fish are disappearing from the Seas.

Humanity.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Somalia has untapped reserves of numerous natural resources, including uranium, iron ore, tin, gypsum, bauxite, copper, salt and natural gas.[2] Due to its proximity to the oil-rich Gulf Arab states such as Saudi Arabia and Yemen, the nation is also believed to contain substantial unexploited reserves of oil. A survey of Northeast Africa by the World Bank and U.N. ranked Somalia second only to Sudan as the top prospective producer.[188] American, Australian and Chinese oil companies, in particular, are excited about the prospect of finding petroleum and other natural resources in the country. An oil group listed in Sydney, Range Resources, anticipates that the Puntland province in the north has the potential to produce 5 billion barrels (790×10^6 m3) to 10 billion barrels (1.6×10^9 m3) of oil.[189] As a result of these developments, the Somali Petroleum Company was created by the federal government. According to surveys, uranium is also found in large quantities in the Buurhakaba region. A Brazilian company in the 1980s had invested $300 million for a uranium mine in central Somalia, but no long-term mining took place.[190]
Source WIki

It seems to me the easiest way to keep prices dirt cheap is to keep the country unstable. Follow the money and the resources. There is a drought there after the drought we had in Australia which finally broke this last year I can appreciate their predicament. There have been a lot of ignorant comments in this thread. On your dying day I wonder if you will ask yourself the question. Did I do enough? Did I make this world a better place? For some thats not so important. I speaking for myself it is.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

Originally posted by Klassified
Americans have sent enough money to countries like this to feed the whole world a seven course meal 100 times over, and more. Yet these people, among others in the world, are still starving. What's wrong with this picture?

What's wrong is that more than 90% of money donated goes to "administrative costs". AKA as "lining some fatcat's pockets" who is laughing all the way to the bank with your money.

And "foreign aid" is more like a code word for black budget, and black projects. I feel truly sorry for these people. But the fault lies with the corrupt governments of the world, not individuals with no control of how money is spent.

There is more than enough in this world that no one, anywhere, should ever be hungry.

What's wrong is greedy Americans consuming far more than their fair share of resources and demanding that they continue to do so, as it is their god-given right, or some such bovine excrement.

Follow on and you have so much waste and greed in the majority of 'first world' countries and hand-wringing over the plight of the poor and starving elsewhere but no real action.
Are YOU prepared to give up a lot of your luxuries to enable others to live?

That is not the point!!

We could send them a trillion dollars and the ruthless
militia leaders will take it all and let their people die!!!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Its a damn shame and a tragedy..but it dosnt have to be. the answer is RIGHT thier ya know? whats stpping it? human greed and $$$ 400,000, kids no less , to die, so a handful can do other things, like develop technologies into tanks and warplanes to destory other humans with. sick world we live in. then again, as human history has shownus, its always been. at least since homo sappien evolved from neanderthals..weve never heard of neandethals duking it out to destory eachother, at least as primitve as they were, they seemed to have looked out after one another...homo sappiens, US, do the oppsoite more or less, makes one wonder if we continue to evolve...what could we be capable of this time around

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

This is evolution. It is harsh and it sucks but the land has not failed the people the people have failed the land. Maybe they should try and build a society not revolved around rapping and pillaging everything around them. Sending money and food will do nothing to stop this from happening again in 5 years.

edit on 18-8-2011 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
You can send more aid, but the corrupt government, if there even is a government over there, just takes it for themselves. There are savages over there. Its their own fault.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Hey we can't aid them, who cares about starving children, we have wars to fight! We got terrorists to kill! We need to spend billions of taxpayer dollars killing people rather than spending that money to save lives and make the world a better place!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
There are so many annoying factors to raise, I must ask questions for 6 years and bitch about the
circumstance...

Oh the stars, the stars

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
400.000...at least over 9000

img361.imageshack.us...
edit on 18-8-2011 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart
I have an idea, how about Obama trades in his fancy bus for
$2 million worth of rice and sends it to Somalia?

It's not his bus it's the president's bus. That means it stays there when he leaves office.

Sadly we have no money to help people that really need it. We have to send our billions to warmongering nations that are busy stealing other peoples land while crying they want to kill us.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Yet more proof that humans are inhumane.

The obscenely wealthy of this world could stop this. Why aren't they?

I give to Save the Children - not a lot but a monthly thing - why don't these people step in and stop it?

Because they have no heart, and, more importantly, they have no soul.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Genocide in any arena and in any form absolutely boggles my mind.

Unfortunately, it is the way of the world. See, despite all the blathering on about saving starving people and creating the utopian world where all people are fed and taken care of . . . it will never happen regardless the efforts of those such as you and I . . . those who wish to make a difference.

Just as there is no real concerted effort to cure the world of the physical ills such as cancer, AIDS, hepatitis and the like (Big Pharma would hate to see that happen because that'd just eat away at their customer base), the bloated bureaucracies that run these assistance organizations do so in a manner that protects their fiefdoms.

Bottom line is that the financial resources are available to address the root causes of the inability of some of the world’s inability to feed and care for themselves.

But why allocate those resources appropriately to address the cause when eradicating it effectively puts you and your organization’s (be it government or otherwise) people out of jobs.

So, today when you’re sitting in your comfy homes peeling back the foil from your heat-n-serve dinner to properly brown up the tater tots, and you plant your overweight ass in front of the television to watch Survivor Quatalumbooga (or wherever the hell it is now), or American Idol or CSI Indianapolis or you’re making out your kid’s back to school shopping list complete with laptop computer, $200 Nike running shoes, Barbielicious Lunch Pail or whatever it is you do tonight, stop and think that if every one of us were not so god damn inwardly focused . . . if we weren’t all sitting on our collective overweight cracks furthering our ‘me first’ philosophy and worked in our own little ways to make the world a better place . . . well it might someday become a better place . . .

The reality is people are starving all over the planet . . . be it on Main Street USA, in the toolies of Alabama . . . in the deserts of Africa . . . the villages of Iraq . . . and those in the positions to make a difference really don’t give a crap about the kids with distended bellies and flies in their eyes because once the channel’s turned from the news to Gordon Ramsey swearing his fool ass off because the squab ain’t quite cooked right or the real housewifes of Beverly Hills are catfighting over the right shade of vodka-flavoured lipsstick . . . well . . . outta sight, outta mind . . .

Betcha 99.99999999 percent of the people who responded to this thread didn’t think one second more about starving African kids after they hit the send button . . .

Betcha . . .

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Can anyone please recommend and provide contact details for a reputable aid agency that one can privately donate to. One that is effective, and has a low "administrative cost" percentage. Thank-you.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
"Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way."
— Martin Luther King Jr.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

They will still be starving. Look at how much money has been squandered on Africa as a whole.

There is nothing you can do for a people that continue to have children that they cant take care of.

When my brother is an irresponsible idiot, I have no duty to him.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
Its a damn shame and a tragedy..but it dosnt have to be. the answer is RIGHT thier ya know? whats stpping it? human greed and $$$ 400,000, kids no less , to die, so a handful can do other things, like develop technologies into tanks and warplanes to destory other humans with. sick world we live in. then again, as human history has shownus, its always been. at least since homo sappien evolved from neanderthals..weve never heard of neandethals duking it out to destory eachother, at least as primitve as they were, they seemed to have looked out after one another...homo sappiens, US, do the oppsoite more or less, makes one wonder if we continue to evolve...what could we be capable of this time around

homo sapien did not evolve from neanderthals. both races evolved separately. neanderthals were stronger, more robust and had a larger brain volume than homo sapiens. One has to wonder why they nevertheless are extinct now. Homo sapiens did procreate faster and expand more aggressively, that's why. when they interbred the neanderthals eventually perished, defeated by numbers. In parts the neanderthaler genome continues to exist in all humans but black africans.
This story goes on and on. One could say it's cruel to let so many infants die, yet it is not within our responsibilty to stop it. The local government has the means to stop it, it is up to them to do so. Moreover, it's a cruel world where parents get as many kids as possible not only in expectation of many of them to die, but because so many are expected to die. That's the way they ensure some offsprings to survive: by numbers. It's obvious how such a strategy is extremely selfish and creates misery we find hard to accustom ourself to. those infants are free of guilt, indeed they are. But we all know that as they reach adulthood they will become some of the most #ed up people in the most #ed up place on planet earth.
I won't shed a tear.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
If these 400,000 children do survive then grow up to have 3 children each which is a low number for these Africans then in 20 years we will have an extra 1.2 million people to support just from these 400,000.

They have nothing usefull to offer the world, they don't help them selfs, rebels steal most of the food donations and the government keep most donations for them self, that's the main three reasons I have never and will never donate to any African charitys.

If their own government has no desire to help their own nation then the only thing we can do to save them is send the army over there and remove the rebels and government.
edit on 18-8-2011 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-8-2011 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
What should we do?
In an ideal world, invade, remove the corrupt warlords and islamists, feed the starving children, install pro-western dictatorship (you cant have democracy without educated population) which will maintain order and enforce china-like population growth control program, use untapped local resources to pay for it and for the infrastructure development etc..

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join