It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

400,000 Somali children to die (of starvation) without more aid

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
hmmm well considering the last lot of food aid was stolen by people in their own country... what are we supposed to do?

Keep handing it out.... ? Now the UN are investigating it. How do you help a country that is too corrupt?

I am not posting the link...I posted it in the other thread about the Somali Famine just recently

edit on 17-8-2011 by Thurisaz because: spelling

Maybe you can bomb it into the last time they had food?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
bbc reported that muslim countries put together about 250mill for somalia.

sorry, heard it on the radio so no links.

maybe they can go in there and make sure the people are taken care of, too.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

what are you saying?

"I" can bomb it in???

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

what are you saying?

"I" can bomb it in???

You know what I meant

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I have an idea, how about Obama trades in his fancy bus for
$2 million worth of rice and sends it to Somalia?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
reply to post by camaro68ss

1. Why have kids if you cant feed them? 2. Why live in a place where you cant grow food? All these people in the middle of no where. It doesent make sence to me. We should teach them how to grow and catch food instead of just giving it to them

45.8 million Americans (15 percent) are on food stamps.

And there may be nothing there, but children don't have a choice of where they are born. They are completely innocent.

Would you let them starve?
edit on 17-8-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

Umm yes,
Stop giving food stamps away.
Make these people work or contribute something.
the majority of those an food stamps or "Feeding "off the country Choose not to work..
And camaro is right also,.
they should MOVE.. they have feet.. walk
Learn how to grow
and if it wont grow where their at... MOVE

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Thought the pirates had lots of money

Seems some one should rob them and feed the poor, or maybe the poor could just take it.
edit on 17-8-2011 by timmhaines because: add some info

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

what are you saying?

"I" can bomb it in???

You know what I meant

NO EvanB, I don't know what you meant...thats why I asked. I didn't like what you were implying so wanted you to clarify it.

but...if your going to play stupid little games...then forgot it.

back on topic...
for those that are interested...a lot of food aid was stolen recently...the UN are investigating it. I posted the info in the other recent thread about Somalia.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Now there is an outstanding idea, if we all decide as a people that outside intervention for the internal matters of other nations is a good idea at all. I could get behind an international effort of some kind, if it were established in a fair and balanced way. I can't see that happening in the world you and I inhabit...
....but I could get 100% behind it if they could pull it off.

Of course, there is a little glitch (isn't there always?).. As the United States enters uncharted waters in our decline as the/a major world power, we'd have to realistically consider that the vote to create such an organization may be creating the same force which may someday interfere in our internal affairs, too. I suppose it's just being American, but I'll admit, my support loses a bit of enthusiasm with that aspect considered. The general concept is great though.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

...Be as logical and callous as you like. But I know that soon you will be wanting. Especially in the current economic climate and extreme weather. Then we will be callous and logical and not give a crap about you starving...

I'm an American. That's all I ever expected from the rest of the world!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
Without explanations...make it simple.

Do you think the world should simply ignore this and let 400,000 starve if we all knew we could save them?

Let them starve?

yes or no?

(adding this to OP)

I love the simplicity of the question. You know, of course, either answer can't be that simple..but you asked for a simple yes or no. Fair enough.

Y E S.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Agreed!

But we still have a big problem. Even if China pitches in more than all of us. Somehow, some way, someone has to make sure that money and the goods it buys, gets to, and stays with the people it is meant for.

And thus far, this has been the major problem in sending money and goods to countries in dire need. It either gets stolen before it ever gets to them by "administrative costs", corrupt governments, etc. Or it gets taken from them after they get it, and it is used up, and/or sold on the black market.

Quite the conundrum.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Americans have sent enough money to countries like this to feed the whole world a seven course meal 100 times over, and more. Yet these people, among others in the world, are still starving. What's wrong with this picture?

What's wrong is that more than 90% of money donated goes to "administrative costs". AKA as "lining some fatcat's pockets" who is laughing all the way to the bank with your money.

And "foreign aid" is more like a code word for black budget, and black projects. I feel truly sorry for these people. But the fault lies with the corrupt governments of the world, not individuals with no control of how money is spent.

There is more than enough in this world that no one, anywhere, should ever be hungry.

What's wrong is greedy Americans consuming far more than their fair share of resources and demanding that they continue to do so, as it is their god-given right, or some such bovine excrement.

Follow on and you have so much waste and greed in the majority of 'first world' countries and hand-wringing over the plight of the poor and starving elsewhere but no real action.
Are YOU prepared to give up a lot of your luxuries to enable others to live?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

what are you saying?

"I" can bomb it in???

You know what I meant

NO EvanB, I don't know what you meant...thats why I asked. I didn't like what you were implying so wanted you to clarify it.

but...if your going to play stupid little games...then forgot it.

back on topic...
for those that are interested...a lot of food aid was stolen recently...the UN are investigating it. I posted the info in the other recent thread about Somalia.

Being a retard is not an excuse

Neither is being dismissive

If you dont deal now then consider your future ass being bitten

The world is not America shaped and you are a measly part of it who has horded most of its resources.

The logical thing would be to get it back.

Do you have the capability of.fending off 5billion people?

Be logical
edit on 17-8-2011 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

I must respectfully disagree with you. This isn't a matter of who the largest consumers on the planet are. This is a matter of corrupt organizations, charities, and governments the world over stealing what has been given in good faith by Americans, as well as other countries, to line their own pockets and commit mass murder by starvation and neglect.

If anything, America has proven time and again there is plenty to go around. No matter our lifestyle. And we (the people) are more than willing to give to others in need far and above our call of duty. But, as mentioned above, and in my other posts in this thread, those goods are not making it to the people we intended it to go to. It is being hijacked by those who could care less about anyone but themselves. And no one is doing a damn thing to stop it.

Not the ever "benevolent" U.N. Not our own government, and no other governments. Because they don't care! All they care about is fleecing the people of this country, and this world for their own benefit.

Hating America may be "en vogue". But it's the wrong way to point the finger. Point it at the governing elites of the world who keep us fighting with each other instead of looking at the real criminals and the real problem. Them.
edit on 8/17/2011 by Klassified because: Corrections

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

definitely help them! its showing concern for your fellow man/woman/child. its a love for humanity. and what goes around comes around and there is no guarantee that western opulence will continue. no surety that weather will be average and allow you to supply your own needs. did not jesus say if you help even the poorest you are helping Him. could it be that if we ignore their plight(africa's needy)a time will come when god will ignore OUR needs. much better to help if you're in a position to.
if governments merely halved their military bases around the world, billions of dollars would be freed up for charity. of course pigs would fly too.
one prophecy i read and the origin escapes me was that their would be so many catastrophes around the world the UN would not be able to keep up with it. i'm sure that is now or very soon.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

love the simplicity of the question. You know, of course, either answer can't be that simple..but you asked for a simple yes or no. Fair enough.

It wasn't originally in the OP...asking specifically yes or no....but many seemed to be dancing around the question.

That was why i added it.

IMO....most of the people saying we shouldn't help would most likely feel different if the problem was in t heir backyard.

If you were to see a starving child on the street....would you try to help him?

Often I am asked for money while on my breaks at work by people who just simply don't have much. In the back of my mind, I think to myself, "I may be getting scammed."

But I do it anyway, usually giving whatever little cash I have on me away. If it actually helps just one person, it's worth it. I certainly am no Rockefeller either. I scrape by like most everyone else....am lucky to have a job.

But more and more often I see people at busy intersections holding signs saying "will work for food." "Please help, we've lost everything."

2 weeks ago i saw a woman laying on the ground with her dog with sign that said, "help I am hungry and homeless"

It often irks me to see those people trashed when i get online and visit here. Again, i shouldn't be surprised by the responses in this thread.....sometimes you just hope that there is more good in the world than there really is.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

This is a tough issue. On one hand the cultures in Africa are the oldest, they have ample resources and the same mental abilities as anyone else, so why?

Another issue is that aid to that area has a way of never getting to the intended people.

The best aid comes from non-government sources. It always has.

USAID had given them over 800 million between 2008 and 2010. The numbers from this year are not out yet and additional aid is being discussed.

Add to that the donations from US sources to the secular and religious charities helping there and I'm sure it is many times that in the last three years.

I don't think the issue is money, it's culture. Look at how much has been poured into Haiti and how little good it has done. There are many facets to this issue. People are trying to help.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I don't think the issue is money, it's culture. Look at how much has been poured into Haiti and how little good it has done. There are many facets to this issue. People are trying to help.

I agree, there are certainly may facets to the issue and I know there are people trying to help.....but you've also read some of the posts in here as well which shows the exact opposite.

Most of Haiti's problem initially came long before the earthquake. Free trade severely hurt their sugarcane crops...they were once one of the largest exporters of sugarcane.....that is now history.

Yesterday, while I was watching CNN, i saw a picture of a 2 year old girl (from Syria)....shot in the eye by a sniper....dead.

2 YEARS OLD. Even though it was blurred...you could still make out the images....couldn't believe they showed it. Makes my heart sink....have a 2 year old of my own.

Just tired of seeing this stuff. Hard to believe we've actually evolved when this kind of insanity continues to happen.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
makes me wanan cry almost. ddamn 400,000 children. thiers so much food that gets thrown out, even things like cookies, that are well within a month or 2 of reaching experiation dates( i work in retail management) and its jsut thrown out. anyone taking it, including from dumpster is regarded as a thief per company policy. effin cookies for christ sakes!
ourt governemnt, prints all this money, for lying to the public, whording, paying off corporations, devleoping new technologys too destroy other people....like stealth...and none of that money can be used to feed those kids? even as corrupt as our capitalism is..if it was going to feed those kids, and the feds got kickbacks, ide at least kinda overlook that.
seems to me the word world peace is gone. the war on drugs is a good majority CIA run. this civilized eceonomy we live here in america, is so damn arrogent. 400,000 could die, kids, an yet someone is throwing a cconiption of a baby fit, becuase they couldnt get a brand new lexus this year, as theyve been doing every 2 yearsr for the past decade. all this tax money for israel, and to bailout the big banks...and 400,000 kids could have been saved. goes to show how corrupt capitalism is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join