It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

400,000 Somali children to die (of starvation) without more aid

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — A British government minister says up to 400,000 Somali children could die of starvation unless urgent action is taken.

International Development Secretary Andrew Mitchell on Wednesday made the first visit in 18 years by a British minister to Somalia's capital of Mogadishu, where he met with government leaders and aid groups. Mitchell said in neighboring Kenya that Britain will give UNICEF more than $41 million in additional aid.

That will allow nearly 200,000 people to have two months of supplementary food rations and vaccinations against measles for 800,000 children. More than 12 million people need food aid in drought-struck East Africa. More than 2 million live in areas controlled by the Somali militant group al-Shabab.

news.yahoo.com...

I have been one of those who have said we should stop all foreign aid....but this really bothers me if this news is true. Hundreds of thousands of children dying of hunger is horrible. Seeing this many children die of hunger and simply letting it happen would be a terrible thing to do.

How do fellow ATSer's feel about this???

Without or without explanations...make it simple.

Do you think the world should simply ignore this and let 400,000 starve if we all knew we could save them?

Let them starve?

yes or no?

edit on 17-8-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
So, why isn't Al-Qadea of the Maghreb in there, providing for people?

I have to ask the question, since they effectively helped create the chaos and collapse that exacerbated this.

Oh - the Muslim Extermists pulled OUT of the region so that other countries - mostly Christian charities - could go feed those people. Then afterwards, the Muslim Extremists will come back again.

Cowards.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Im sorry but

1. Why have kids if you cant feed them?

2. Why live in a place where you cant grow food?

All these people in the middle of no where. It doesent make sence to me. We should teach them how to grow and catch food instead of just giving it to them

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

I have to ask the question, since they effectively helped create the chaos and collapse that exacerbated this.

Oh - the Muslim Extermists pulled OUT of the region so that other countries - mostly Christian charities - could go feed those people. Then afterwards, the Muslim Extremists will come back again.

Cowards.

children are dying and we have people pointing fingers LMAO. what a beautiful world we live in.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

1. Why have kids if you cant feed them? 2. Why live in a place where you cant grow food? All these people in the middle of no where. It doesent make sence to me. We should teach them how to grow and catch food instead of just giving it to them

45.8 million Americans (15 percent) are on food stamps.

And there may be nothing there, but children don't have a choice of where they are born. They are completely innocent.

Would you let them starve?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA

Cowards.

children are dying and we have people pointing fingers LMAO. what a beautiful world we live in.

If one refuses to deal with WHY this is happening, then one is a fool.

Libertarians, and extremists have caused a situation of complete nation collapse, and in the process have begun the process of starving the better part of a million children to death.

I think that a noteworthy acheivement. One they should wear with pride.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

If we continue our rate of spending, including the billions that we already give in aid, then the 15 percent of Americans that are only able to eat because they have foodstamps, will starve to death when our dollar has no more buying power because of hyper inflation, just like what has caused millions to starve in Africa.

Edit to add: After reading this post I realized I should add that it won't only be the poor people starving in the US, it will be everybody who doesn't know how to grow their own food, or have something to barter with to obtain that food.
edit on 17-8-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

1. Why have kids if you cant feed them? 2. Why live in a place where you cant grow food? All these people in the middle of no where. It doesent make sence to me. We should teach them how to grow and catch food instead of just giving it to them

45.8 million Americans (15 percent) are on food stamps.

And there may be nothing there, but children don't have a choice of where they are born. They are completely innocent.

Would you let them starve?

but...but.... the children... think of the children....

we are out of money.... to bad we aready blown that on banker bailouts
edit on 17-8-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Cowards.

Al-Qaeda were never a stronghold in Somalia. The dominant group are known as the Al-Shabab, a bunch of lawless thugs that are very un-organized and run under deluded ideologies more extreme than Sharia Law.

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Im sorry but

1. Why have kids if you cant feed them?

2. Why live in a place where you cant grow food?

All these people in the middle of no where. It doesent make sence to me. We should teach them how to grow and catch food instead of just giving it to them

This crisis was brought about by the worst drought to hit East-Africa in 60 years. How do you think they accumulate all that population in the first place? The issue isn't teaching them how to grow and catch food, they're been hit with a natural disaster and they need aid.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Americans have sent enough money to countries like this to feed the whole world a seven course meal 100 times over, and more. Yet these people, among others in the world, are still starving. What's wrong with this picture?

What's wrong is that more than 90% of money donated goes to "administrative costs". AKA as "lining some fatcat's pockets" who is laughing all the way to the bank with your money.

And "foreign aid" is more like a code word for black budget, and black projects. I feel truly sorry for these people. But the fault lies with the corrupt governments of the world, not individuals with no control of how money is spent.

There is more than enough in this world that no one, anywhere, should ever be hungry.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FermiFlux

Al-Shabab is affliated with Al-Qaeda of the Maghreb.

link   
reply to post by David9176

I feel for the children and we should do our best to help them. Now with that being said the parents of these children should take some responsibility. Why have so many children if you cant feed them or provide for them? Seems very short sighted to me. I hope these children are fed but the onus is on the parents to stop having kids in poverty.

link   

Originally posted by David9176
How do fellow ATSer's feel about this???

I think earth inhabitants need to grow up and use warfare w/o political agenda JUST TO HELP OUT THOSE TRAPPED UNDER WEAK PATHETIC WARLORDS OF GREED to free these parts of the herd instead of ignoring them since they are from different land mass locations...

GOOD QUESTION

edit on 8/17/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The govt should just print more money to buy them food.

They plan to print it anyways, might tis well buy something with it.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
They need birth control and sterilization..if you feed and save all of these people where will be in future? Back to square on only with a million more starving...i'm not trying to be callus...just trying to be real. If you feed them sterilize them.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
What are you going to do about it>?
What are we going to do about it.??

ALL THE MONEY OUR TAX payers spend
and send to them THE MILITIAS TAKE THE
MONEY AND SQUANDER IT..

Let them die out hands our cleansed of this situation.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by thetruthisclearnow
What are you going to do about it>?
What are we going to do about it.??

ALL THE MONEY OUR TAX payers spend
and send to them THE MILITIAS TAKE THE
MONEY AND SQUANDER IT..

Let them die out hands our cleansed of this situation.

but.... but... the childern.....

Why are only children dieing here?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
They need birth control and sterilization..if you feed and save all of these people where will be in future? Back to square on only with a million more starving...i'm not trying to be callus...just trying to be real. If you feed them sterilize them.

what if some felt this way about the entire Earth as well, just sayen...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'm waiting for China to step up to the plate with their huge monetary surplus.
Like that will happen...

Meet the new Boss same as the old boss errr.... ummm....

cough.......

cough......

BS!

cough......

hack......

gag......

Walks away from the keyboard scratching his head while opening his checkbook and looks up known reputable charities working in the region...

edit on 17-8-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

"Go to the light Edith Ann, RUN to the light". ........yo camaro dude, your attitude? it has me shaking my head but I'll try to answer your questions. they are experiencing a drought of biblical proportions. drought equals no rainfall / water. anything they grow dies. capish? as far as why do they have children; well gee, maybe because they have no idea what birth control is? sex is a natural thing and on occasion when one has sex one procreates. (it's the birds & the bees). birth control / spread of STD's is a problem in that area of the world but we're working on it. finally, I don't think they have much control over "where" they live. it's not like they sought out the desert to pitch their tent or like they can get on a jet and fly to Monaco for the weekend. regardless, they are our fellow human being and we should help them.... it's the core of what humanity means....... in fact at one time it was part of what it meant to be American......... yep, at one time we helped our fellow man without hesitation no questions asked. the old days I guess they're called.
edit on 17-8-2011 by LooksLikeWeMadeIt because: added

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join