It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America and Americans - What exactly are we good at? What makes us "the best"?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by daynight42
I used one measure (profit) to determine what we're good at. I answered the question whether you like the answers or not.

Good answers mind you.
But personally, I don't see profit...immediate profit anyhow as the qualifying factor of a nations success.
Although, something that will eternally be unprofitable is clearly not a successful venture.

I mean, if any one of us were to get into what we should be doing, that would be another question. If the US weren't good at those business ventures, they wouldn't be doing so well.

I didn't put my personal opinion down on the matter, so maybe I will now. I grew up loving all the music and movies and liked to shop - a typical consumer. Now, even though I can enjoy those things, I can say that I believe it leads young people astray. These industries have too much influence on them. I can't say who should have that influence, but I'll say certainly not any hypocritical church! And, good parents would be great, but they're rare and a lot to wish for! (Q: How many parents think television is okay for a child's mind?)

So there. If it were up to me, I'd say we would be great to be the best at technologies that increase sustainable food development around the world and ones that make safe and cheap, healthy food available all year round. As it is now, the cheapest food is very damaging to our minds and body. And, too much zombifying content is turning our brains to unused masses of weight on top our heads.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
ei ei ei, what a dilemma!

SLAYER69:

Most of us mature intelligent Americans know full well what we've done both good and bad. Yet we are to sit here and are to be told all the evils we have done and that nothing we have accomplished is deserving of any real credit. Screw that. It's most likely some sort of grotesque psychological Penis Envy on their part...

after many good thoughts and points the writer comes to a valuable insight. now instead of making the necessary change the writer hints at, (to be actually positive that then projects positivity) the writer falls back into sarcastic and negative behaviour expressed in his last conclusion of that paragraph.
and also, ‘who’ tells you about all the evils you have done? are not you the one who filters and selects what to hear? is it not you who needs to transcend what you reject and stand as a shining beacon?

nenothtu

‘Their kids will live the same cycle, as will their grandchildren, ad infinitum, because few if any young people are capable of actually listening to older folks and learning by the experiences of others. Kids have to make their own mistakes. So then, let' em rant and rave. Just smile and nod, and know that some day, YOU too will be a genius. ‘

a child’s job while growing up, is to rebel against authority no matter what this authority portraits. that’s how it strengthens its wings. we all have this inbuilt thing, that allows us to know right from wrong. that is a fact. but habits............ that’s an other thing. when said child learns to fly, it has accomplished a first and important step to be adult. as an adult it is willing to fit in, to be helpful and caring......
(btw another outstanding characteristic of Americans. and i don’t care whether it is an innovation or an evolution. you’re good at it and do more of it once you sorted out your loyalties)
...... but what will it have to fit in? all your negativity and all the points mentioned in so many posts above.

the new generation is to find fertile ground to built on. and for that ground to be fertile and healthy is up to each of us individually. maybe “someday everybody will be a genius” maybe the new generation will be more successful than the old. but i don’t think so, not just yet.

politicians and governments are younger and younger in age as we go. is it getting better? is truly a younger person’s untested input better equipped to guide others than someone who supposedly could have great insights and years of implementing the insight and therefore be experienced.

i think it is all our responsibility to keep alive our own wisdom we develop as young people and not to glide into the trap provided by what is established. an attitude can change everything. a revolution starts within us individually. i think we have to become stronger defined individuals.

SaturnFX

‘Well, I think I have concluded something. I think America has fallen because..well, of all of you lot. Not specifically, what was typed in this thread (myself included) is almost purely pessimism...and you can't be on a winning team if everyone is saturated in self defeat. The problem isn't the government, because we are the government, the problem is our attitude, and we are not helping or adding to it. ‘

the government..........! yes, we should be the government. but are we?
if our pessimism and ignorance is reflected in the government, then yes. and that would be so easy to fix!
but if not, if the government is truly but a rotten thing that manipulates and breaks our backs, still it is our attitude that will deal best with it – and not by behaving just as bad.

love with all your heart that knows exactly what is true - if time is taken to properly contemplate. love, no matter what, and all will improve!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bestintentions

The "writer" appreciates you contributing your opinion and version of events.

I'll think about it.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

thank you

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
...accusing others of penis envy, ahahahaaaa, is just too funny and really shows which head is controlling that body...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Allow me to chime in on this hot button question. Very interesting replies thus far! I think to answer the question being raised is rather simple. Everyone thinks their country is the best, and that goes without saying for those who are citizens of the United States.

Now, is America the best at what it does? That is matter of speculation and opinion. I would say that in the short history of the United States, it has been able to leave a favorable mark on history and did its fair share in the steady progression of humanity. There is a long list of things that the United States has innovated, and or has borrowed from other cultures. It also has its fair share of skeletons in the closet as well, and there is not one nation that does not. To think otherwise is hubris.

The country is a nation of immigrants, and the only melting pot I know of. With that alone, it had ought to be a staple of what the United States is best at. Bringing people together from the four corners of the world, and from all walks of life. Of course there have been spats among different groups, races, and cultures throughout the country's history. Still, the accomplishments far outweigh the negatives. To put it simply, in less than three hundred years the people of the US have been able to transform their country from a former colonial backwater into one of the mightiest nations on the face of the earth. Of course that is only my opinion.

In regards to the US being best at things? Best is only a matter of perception. Of course the US is good at things. At the same time, they are very bad at others. There is no such thing as perfection in any venture inspired by humanity. No such thing! It is all a matter of opinion, and we all know everyone is more than ready to share their views on this subject. I mentioned one thing that the United States has innovated, and that is the concept of the melting pot. That to me, is what makes the United States a cut above the rest. The country has come a long way since 1775, and it was not because of a charismatic leader, all the guns and bombs in the world, or economic superiority. It was the hard work, sacrifice, and a belief in better things to come by the people who have lived here. I would not go so far as to say it is the best at anything, but merely good at some.
edit on 18-8-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Suppressing patents that would help mankind.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Completely and totally agree with you on this one.

The other thing people like to attack about America is our actions / foreign policy in other regions.

The one thing they ignore while complaining is the fact that Americans at least make the attempt to do good. We dont always have success in those endeavors, but again, at least we try.

Somalia goes up in flames, and the international community wants America to send in peacekeepers, which Clinton did do.
We then get yelled at for interfering in another countries internal issues, so we withdraw and turn it over to the African Union to deal with, with no success, and yet somehow its Americas fault.

Somalia is now suffering from famine, and all I see are people blaming America for not doing enough.
People complain that the US is friendly with dictatorial governments, yet those same people complain bitterly when the US joins a coalition in Libya.

They want us out of the Middle East and demand we end support for Iarael, while demanding the US intervene in Syria to stop the bloodhsed there.

People complain about our debt, yet have absolutely no issues taking that money when its given to the country they reside in. When we dont provide funding, we are condemned by those very same people.

People demand we bring the troops home to help fix things here, and the moment it lookjs like that might be a possibility, those same people start screaming government marshal law conspiracy.

EU countries take America to task for our spending, while not saying a word about the trillions the US gave to the European central ank to ensure their banking system doesnt collapse.

Personally I say let em whine... If they are that eager for China to run the world, then they should not be surprised when they realize Chinese intervention would be nothing like the US. China has no issues with collateral damage, nor do they have issues employing methods in combat that would make radical islam look like tame to say the least.

There are 2 great ironies in life -
Not getting what you want...... And getting exactly what you asked for.

Some times its better to not get what you want...

To those who want Chinese leadership, I have only one question for you -

Anything else in the box pandora?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

The other thing people like to attack about America is our actions / foreign policy in other regions.

The one thing they ignore while complaining is the fact that Americans at least make the attempt to do good. We dont always have success in those endeavors, but again, at least we try.

I am thankful to the US for a fun and exciting career with the DoD. Fortunate for me they will hire and give support to those who are diligent and think outside the box.

Their efforts to preserve the Mexican government are commendable, if somewhat unorthodox -

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Fast and Furious was a CIA operation

In an effort to prevent a Los Zetas takeover, Uncle Sam has gotten into bed with the rival Sinaloa cartel, which has close ties to the Mexican military. Recent court filings by former Sinaloa cartel member Jesus Vicente Zambada Niebla, currently in U.S. custody, reveal that the United States allowed the Sinaloas to fly a 747 cargo plane packed with coc aine into American airspace - unmolested.

The CIA made sure the trade wasn’t one-way. It persuaded the ATF to create Operation Fast and Furious - a “no strings attached” variation of the agency’s previous firearms sting. By design, the ATF operation armed the Mexican government’s preferred cartel on the street level near the American border, where the Zetas are most active.

Operation Fast and Furious may not have been the only way the CIA helped put lethal weapons into the hands of the Sinaloa cartel and its allies, but it certainly was an effective strategy.

My thanks to all the Americans that purchased these drugs in an effort to preserve the Mexican government, the land where I am now living and retired. The direct effects of this policy are causing a little bit of a stir on street level but at least we know it is all with good intentions and for a noble cause.

Americans are great for thinking "outside the box."

edit on 18-8-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

Ah yes.. another one...

Forget the fact that Mexico's drug trade also stretches into South America, Africa, Europe, Asia and Austrailia. Apparently its only an issue when Americans buy drugs? Would you prefer we invade Mexico? Im sure we can make a case that the problems in Mexico present a clear and present danger to the security of the United States in addition to justifing it under article 7 of the UN Charter.

The recent bust on the border involving mexican cartel members as well as Iraqis is what? Another CIA operation?

What do you think America should do? You seem to fit my argument to a T with regards to the thought process of America intefering in another nations affairs while being upset that America is doing nothing to stop it. Any reason you ignore the UN's lack of stance on th drug trade as well as all the other countries who buy mexican drugs?

The UN has sent money to the Syrian government, who is actively killing its citizens, while ignoring the same issues in other countries, including Mexico.I always find the argument amusing when it only targets a government / country, while completely ignoring the other side of the coin which would be those groups who are making the drugs in addition to other parties who are buying them who are not US citizens.

legalizing drugs is not going to solve the problem, since the cartels are not at all intrested in losing out on profit from their monopolies. We have also seen what occurs when there are turf wars. The cartels wont pay taxes nor will they tolerate other businesses hording in on their territory.

Since you like to think outside the box, whats your solution (Aside from blaming the US and walking away)?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Would you prefer we invade Mexico? Im sure we can make a case that the problems in Mexico present a clear and present danger to the security of the United States in addition to justifing it under article 7 of the UN Charter.

Bingo! That's the kind of solutions us DoD'ers like to hear. I'd prefer it not be in my own backyard and hope they don't call me. I'm retired. But that's the idea, create a problem and be the solution for it. Uh-huh.

What do you think America should do? You seem to fit my argument to a T with regards to the thought process of America intefering in another nations affairs while being upset that America is doing nothing to stop it. Any reason you ignore the UN's lack of stance on the drug trade as well as all the other countries who buy mexican drugs?

It would not be a popular solutions in some inside circles, lose a lot of black op funding and all, but yeah, quit profiteering from the drug trade and stop prohibition policies.

I realize the government is not lying about it's drug war dealings, I believe they do say it's about controlling the drug trade, not stopping it. Creative semantics.

legalizing drugs is not going to solve the problem, since the cartels are not at all intrested in losing out on profit from their monopolies. We have also seen what occurs when there are turf wars. The cartels wont pay taxes nor will they tolerate other businesses hording in on their territory.

Too bad for all those profiteers and their lost profits. I am not talking about "legalization" and creating vast institutions as with the liquor industry. Just "hands off." No taxes to evade, no territory to horde. Eliminate all that. Around year 1900 the pharma companies were making heroin for children to keep them quiet. I believe we are more enlightened than that these days. We don't need or want draconian 'lock 'em up and throw away the keys" policies anymore. It doesn't work, does it?

Since you like to think outside the box, whats your solution (Aside from blaming the US and walking away)?

You heard my solution. Not sure what some agencies are going to do with the loss of revenue. That's not my problem. I'm sure you LEO's will come up with something to keep you busy though.

More to blame than the US for this mess, though they are up past their elbows in it.

I worked my whole life, toeing the line to keep my clearances, living an impeccable life to be able to maintain it all, avoiding debt, being responsible citizen, foregoing any semblance of a normal American family life to dedicate myself to my job, my first love. All that so I could go retire in my own little tropical paradise for my final days, and you insinuate that is wrong?!? I suppose I should have stayed in the US and dedicated the rest of my remaining life to being an activist? No thanks.

I love the US for the life and opportunity it has given me. I'm sure I have contributed my fair share to it. I am thankful for the international opportunities my work provided me and the cultural experiences that went with that territory. I also love Mexico and the exceptional life it is providing me now, more tranquil and much less stressful than any I have known previously. I am not going to pretend neither government has their warts though. Those won't go away just on their own. Recognizing the problems are the first step in correcting them. Sweeping them under the rug is not a solution.

Would you prefer we invade Mexico? Im sure we can make a case that the problems in Mexico present a clear and present danger to the security of the United States in addition to justifing it under article 7 of the UN Charter.

That first statement of your bears repeating. You've got your reason, your justifications, you're locked and loaded and ready to travel by all appearances. It doesn't matter one iota to you that the US government is arming our criminal cartels, giving a "¡pásale!" to a 747 stuffed to the gills with coc aine to dump on American streets, with blessings. And your solution is to invade us. You even have it figured out why it's a good idea!

No words for that. Ándele pues.

edit on 18-8-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Invading Mexico was a question for you to answer, not me endorsing an invasion.

Secondly, quit stereotyping.

3rd - I never said you wanted drug legalization. Again that was a question / comment.

4th - I never said you were wrong

Please stop seeing only what you want and please stop attributing comments / insinuations to me tha tI never said / made.

Last - You never bothered to answer the question. Its evident you are on the other side of the fence on this issue, and thats fine. Being on that side of the fence, what is the solution?

Its easy to blame a country, however it doesnt solve the issue.

How do you fix it?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

My opinion is ending Prohibition solves it all. The policy has been in place for so long it has grown and become a monster. It has much more baggage now than it would have to have ended it in the 80's or sooner. It won't be easy now but it will quit feeding the monster and he will die. Good riddance.

El Chango was last known as one of our Michoacán local boys. He started out peddling pot and smuggling it into the US. Much greater opportunity came along and he expanded. He became a drug lord but many became politicians, and not just in Mexico. Do you believe no American politicians, even (or especially) at the federal level profit off the drug trade? Prohibition turns politicians into criminals and criminals into politicians, and it corrupts on all levels.

Just letting the people have their pot would have been so easy 40 years ago. It may not that easy now but that's the first step. It is just possible conceding pot, the most popular substance on the taboo list, would be enough to make it all go away or at least make the rest manageable. It is the ban on cannabis that has captured the hearts and minds of a great many people and made this issue so devisive. Lift the ban on pot and you will have a vast chunk of the people around the globe back on the side of law and order.

It seems such a silly issue to have started this whole affair over. It is the one very simple solution that may put the rest of this to bed. It is the one thing that will bring vast numbers back to your side.

edit on 19-8-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I would say Americans are good at striving to be independent and valuing privacy and freedom of choice. We choose our occupations/vocations, our churches to practice our faith in, the way we want to raise our children. I do still have those choices. I can live where I want, in the country and farm if I so choose and raise animals and hunt and fish. We are creative and innovative yet and lets not forget all our young people coming up behind us and I would say don't discard them; listen to them.

Tonight I can go out and look up at the night sky in my backyard and gaze up at the stars and listen to the sounds of the night without fear that a mortar round is going to hit my house. I'll be able to get up in the morning and take the kids swimming in the lake down the dirt road and have a picnic without fear of terrorists blowing up our truck on the way there. We may grab our fishing poles and nightcrawlers and catch sunnies and crappies, or if we're lucky walleye. We'll be able to go home in the evening and pick tomatoes from the garden and make BLT's and homemade fries and enjoy each other's company in peace and quiet.

We may discuss politics and express our opinions and speak our minds without fear of reprisal from our local police and/or government. I may have a conversation with my teenager about what college he wants to go to and what his dreams for his future are and then sign him up for college classes this Fall. These are pretty simple and basic things I would agree, but sometimes it's the simple things in life that are the best things, the small freedoms that add up to really great things. I would say Americans are great at expressing their opinions and mouthing off..
because we tend to be a spirited people. If I lived in another country where that simple right was taken away I'd be dead inside, broken in spirit. I'd rather be dead than policed.
edit on 19-8-2011 by queenofsheba because: add line

edit on 19-8-2011 by queenofsheba because: add line

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I went to the U.S for a vacation a few years ago and was really impressed by the Customer Service from the people- to the trading hours -and to how everyone is catered for.
(Try being a plus size female with a small wide foot in Australia and you can expect to pay 4X the amount for clothes and shoes AND also cop the rude attitutude from Shop Assistants who really couldn't care)

So I guess what I'm saying is America is THE BEST at Customer Service AND giving the customer what they want, no matter what. With that attitude, America will be back on it's feet in no time IMO.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba

I'd rather be dead than policed.

Same here, but that's one of the reasons I moved. As long as you're happy where you're at that's what matters.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro

Originally posted by queenofsheba

I'd rather be dead than policed.

Same here, but that's one of the reasons I moved. As long as you're happy where you're at that's what matters.

Mexico, huh?
You are an interesting sort I would surmise...more power to ya.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Come on! you guys have The Jersey Shore.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
One thing America does best is protecting our freedom. We are so damn good at protecting our freedom that the only way we can stay free is to become enslaved.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Well, let's see....

* Invading other countries
* Ordering every other country on the planet to follow America's orders
* Shouting people down if they disagree with an American viewpoint
* Claiming other people's achievements as their own
* Being so naive as to not understand why people dislike America
* Getting pissed off when asking a question, and having negative viewpoints given as a reply
* Needing to get other people to tell you how much they love America, and getting aggro when people say they don't love America

Shall I go on? Hahahahaha

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join