It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me cook for a diabetic!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm diabetic...just watch carbohydrates which we all know are converted to sugar in the body. Shoot for a balanced diet, ignore the "diabetic foods" that cost an arm and a leg. Just prepare balanced meals...meat about the size of a package of playing cards, green beans are almost a free food pile them up, salad. Maybe a glass of milk and a piece of bread.

My carbohydrate limit for the day is 180.

If his glucose (blood sugar level) is below 120-130 before bed he needs to eat 25 carbs and a bit of protein. This will prevent his liver from dumping a bunch of sugar into his blood stream while he sleeps.

Exercise is important. Just have him walk a couple miles in the morning or evening (or whatever he can do to start). This can burn excess glucose not only for that day but for the next 48 hours.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
My neighbour is diabetic and if he cheats with alcohol on occasion, his sugars are off the next day. He knows he should not do this and it's having a chronic effect on him.
It's a hard thing for some people to not cheat every now and then, so it's important that you reinforce and encourage his good behaviors. I mean this in the best way possible.

Hard alcohol actually reduces blood glucose if not mixed with a high sugar liquid. If he consumes a bunch of hard alcohol and is on medication that controls blood glucose he could become hypoglycemic which can be very dangerous.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne
I can also recommend Dreamfields pasta. It only has about 5grams "digestible carbohydrates" per serving.

For pasta I use spaghetti squash. It tastes and feels like pasta.

Originally posted by OneisOneAnd it might not hurt to pick up the Calorie King book.

I agree, I carry that book everywhere.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Originally posted by OneisOne
I can also recommend Dreamfields pasta. It only has about 5grams "digestible carbohydrates" per serving.

For pasta I use spaghetti squash. It tastes and feels like pasta.

Originally posted by OneisOneAnd it might not hurt to pick up the Calorie King book.

I agree, I carry that book everywhere.

I love spaghetti squash! Best alternative to spaghetti ever.. In fact it tastes better than spaghetti, IMO

top topics

<< 1   >>

join