It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget Elenin, why does no one speak of Asteroid YU55?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I respect your knowledge on cosmic matters stereo though it is common sense that if a public announcement were to be made of a guaranteed ELE type asteroid impact within a few years, then hell would ensue. The stock markets crashing would be the least of our worries. Rioting, looting, anarchy, marshal law, essentially, people would not care about rules and regulations anymore.

The reason that Apophis doesn't generate this reaction is partly due to the 17-18 years before the event and unless you bother looking for such things, news of it is not wide spread. Added to which, as you are aware; it only has a few percent chance of hitting.

I could speculate that the conspiracy lies in the 'boy who cried wolf' tactic that maybe used or encouraged by intelligence agencies on sites like this to draw exaggerated attention to every near earth object that comes remotely close to earth. So when the real one comes, not even a leak in information would be absorbed with any seriousness by the masses.

I apologise if I wandered off-topic at all.

Regards, Skellon.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Wouldn’t it get smaller if it entered our atmosphere with all the burning up and stuff?
If so how much would it shrink in size, while entering the atmosphere.
Jay

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Skellon

See my position is that it would be impossible to hide this information. Too many people would know to keep it hidden. Then there is the thing that all people do - they rally together to fight a common foe. It can be a war or it can be a sandbag brigade to save a town or homes or businesses.

Large objects can hit. That is rare though. Suppose it happens again and in the near future. I think people would be rallied together to build something in an attempt to save the Earth.

new topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join