It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget Elenin, why does no one speak of Asteroid YU55?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by centrifugal
The asteroid that killed the dinosaurs was 10km in diameter by some estimates, and an asteroid is made up of Rock/Metal. This comet however is 400m in diameter right? Which is made up of dust and ice.

So between the Sun and burning on entry through the atmosphere would it really have much impact?

YU55 is an asteroid, a small planetoid 400m in diameter, made of iron I believe. It is not a comet.

It is going to make quite a splash.

st.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Not all asteroids are made of iron.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This is potentially Earth-shattering news. I kid you not.

I discovered this accidentally myself and when I saw how close it was going to be I figured I would check it against the distance to the moon.
It will come closer to Earth than the moon,
Which means it will come in to our field of gravity.
It could impact the moon, throw the moon off course, glance off and throw pieces everywhere.
It could hit Earth, we just don't know and if NASA did they certainly wouldn't tell us and start a panic.

I think it's going to hit the moon and that's why Obama is going to Denver and their having the big FEMA drill out there called Mountain Guardian.
They symbolism on the patches is scary nwo stuff - an eagle with 2 owls hidden in it's wings?
I'm almost ready to get scared about it,
Helps to make sure it's real first though

edit on 25-9-2011 by Asktheanimals because: added comments

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Please understand that the asteroid is always within our field of gravity. It does not enter our field of gravity. Gravity extends outward an unlimited distance.

It can't hit the Moon. The gravitational forces are worked out well enough that its course shows that it misses both the Earth and Moon.

Remember that is how we know how close it will come to the Earth. The forces acting on the asteroid are used to determine its course. Part of the forces are the Earth's and Moon's gravities.

Suppose that the object impacted the Moon. Pieces could fall to Earth if the pieces reached the Moon's escape velocity and were ejected so that the Earth captured the pieces.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

If NASA knew differently do you think they would tell us?
That's my point, is that perhaps JPL put up bogus numbers so that no one would get alarmed.
Something big is coming down the pipe, maybe not YU55 but until it safely passes I'm not writing it off just yet.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I believe NASA has asked amateur astronomers to help track the path of the object to get as good a track as possible. That way they will be able to reduce the uncertainty in measurements and obtain a better trajectory for the next pass. It will come by again.

Your assumption of something evil lurking at NASA is based on a lack of checking of the issue. Take a better look and see how NASA does partner with others to learn more about our solar system and NEOs.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

I believe NASA has asked amateur astronomers to help track the path of the object to get as good a track as possible. That way they will be able to reduce the uncertainty in measurements and obtain a better trajectory for the next pass. It will come by again.

They don't need amateurs, they have Goldstone and the Deep Space Radar Network for tracking these things. Radar can pick them up much more easily than optical based telescopes. They already know where this thing is going, they have for a long time.

Your assumption of something evil lurking at NASA is based on a lack of checking of the issue. Take a better look and see how NASA does partner with others to learn more about our solar system and NEOs.

It's not about something 'evil'. It's about knowing that NASA would not release impact data along time ahead of the event. Imagine the potential chaos, the questions. The potential turmoil on the stock markets.

Look at the mess the world is in right now. Have a think.

st.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SatoriTheory
It's not about something 'evil'. It's about knowing that NASA would not release impact data along time ahead of the event. Imagine the potential chaos, the questions. The potential turmoil on the stock markets.

Look at the mess the world is in right now. Have a think.
I'm surprised that the phrase info-terrorists hasn't been "coined"/used.

edit on 25-9-2011 by CynicalDrivel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
I'm surprised that the phrase info-terrorists hasn't been "coined"/used.

It has been, Julian Assange was labeled an Infoterrorist.

st.
edit on 25-9-2011 by SatoriTheory because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SatoriTheory

I do know that amateurs have been used to track other nearby NEOs. There must be a reason that this is done. It might be to involve the public or it might be used to double check results.

Also, remember that the trajectory is based with a certain uncertainty in the measurement. By reducing the uncertainty it is possible to obtain better predictions for future encounters.

It's about knowing that NASA would not release impact data along time ahead of the event.

That is not known. It is surmised. I do not find this to be true. Apophis has been discussed with a potential impact.

Think about it.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

That is not known. It is surmised. I do not find this to be true. Apophis has been discussed with a potential impact.

Think about it.

I have thought about it, obviously more than some.

Let's say NASA announces 10 years ahead of time of a high probability impact within the mid-US. What happens to property prices? Crash. As soon as it is announced, property prices are worth zero. You can't sell up and move. So who pays for you to move? What about businesses in the impact area? Are they going to stay and wait, or will they move? If they move, people will have to move. The area becomes a waste land. For those who stay, is it worth paying insurance any more? Will insurance prices sky-rocket?

What about the effects on the global economy and stock markets? What happens if there is an impact near the world's financial center, New York?

Let's also consider the effects on the environment and climate. What would happen? How big an area would be devastated by an impact? How much is going to be thrown back into the atmosphere. Is there a possibility the impact could set off earthquakes and volcanic activity?

How about a sea based impact, how big will he resulting tsunami waves be? How far inland will they travel?

Sorry dude, but the reason you 'do not find it to be true', is because you simply have not thought about the implications of an actual impact announcement.

st.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

'I'm back, like I never left'

Yes, those factors would, without a doubt, deter a nation already holding its cards close to its chest from divulging potentially earth-shattering news...pun intended.

And Elenin could be for NEO's exactly what Harold Camping was for religious prophesy...the fall guy.

I have reason to believe they allowed Harold Camping to get so much publicity so that after it failed it would quell the belief in any future prophesy, including real ones, or maybe even his own revised date.

The Time magazine cover was well spotted too.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I believe NASA has asked amateur astronomers to help track the path of the object to get as good a track as possible.

Here's an animation of YU55's projected trajectory :

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

So while I agree with you that they indeed show us that it is tracked...there are possibilities...of which they do not talk about.

Could its trajectory be altered by a natural phenomena and therefore change its course for a direct impact with Earth or worse yet, the Moon ?? as suggested by asktheanimals above :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Unfortunately, there is.

If it was to get through a field of debris...it could potentially alter its course.

And it will. As it passes through Elenin's debris.

Now...look at that animation again, and look at it intensively. An altered course by one single degree, just one, now...then what could happen in November ?...

But maybe I am exaggerating...with all this Elenin stuff...

So let's look at another possibility. What else could alter its course...something we don't hear about anymore since the Elenin hype ??

The Cosmic Energy Cloud

www.redicecreations.com...

Seen some fireballs lately ?? If you haven't, perhaps it's time to look around.

Meh...maybe it's all speculation...after all we're paranoid conspiracy theorists...aren't we ?

But I am prepared. November 8th and 9th are going to be quite spectacular.

edit on 26-9-2011 by SonoftheSun because: grammar

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Sorry dude, but the reason you 'do not find it to be true', is because you simply have not thought about the implications of an actual impact announcement.

Actually, all of your musings are meaningless since Apophis has been described as a possible impactor if it passes through the key hole. There is a possible impact in the Pacific in that scenario that causes a "splash" sending material into outer space.

So your musings against stating such a scenario are wrong since the possible impact has been discussed.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Could its trajectory be altered by a natural phenomena and therefore change its course for a direct impact with Earth or worse yet, the Moon ?? as suggested by asktheanimals above :

No. What sort of "magic" are you going to pull out of thin air to accomplish this change?

Trajectories in space are known well - well enough that there can be no impact on this pass. What about future passes?

Now...look at that animation again, and look at it intensively. An altered course by one single degree, just one, now...then what could happen in November ?...

But maybe I am exaggerating...with all this Elenin stuff...

You are. The issue is the force applied to the object.

The Cosmic Energy Cloud

Now you are going off the deep end. The issue is the force applied to the object.

Seen some fireballs lately ?? If you haven't, perhaps it's time to look around.

I've seen plenty of fireballs. There are several thousand a day falling to Earth.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Actually, all of your musings are meaningless since Apophis has been described as a possible impactor if it passes through the key hole.

My 'musings' as you call them, are in no way meaningless. You are just stubborn to the point you have put your head back in the sand, you simply refuse to accept I have made very valid points. Your 'ego' is clouding your judgement.

Notice the word 'possible', it's not the same as the word 'actual'.

YU55 last passed very close to earth on 9th November (9/11 - D/M) 2000. They would have been able to calculate the 'keyhole' then. What happened after 2000? What numbers have we been hearing/seeing for the past 10 years?

There is a possible impact in the Pacific in that scenario that causes a "splash" sending material into outer space.

YU55 is approx. 300 feet larger than Apophis.

So your musings against stating such a scenario are wrong since the possible impact has been discussed.

Once again, POSSIBLE is not the same as ACTUAL. My 'musings' were about stating an ACTUAL impact, you know that, so stop trying to 'save face', stop your ego from clouding your better judgement.

st.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

My 'musings' as you call them, are in no way meaningless. You are just stubborn to the point you have put your head back in the sand, you simply refuse to accept I have made very valid points. Your 'ego' is clouding your judgement.

Your musings are clouding your judgment. NASA has stated that Apophis may impact and has even given a general location with descriptions of the destructive event. To pretend that they would not do this is wrong, just wrong. They have done it.

YU55 is approx. 300 feet larger than Apophis.

Has no bearing. The issue is whether or not NASA would announce an impact.

Once again, POSSIBLE is not the same as ACTUAL. My 'musings' were about stating an ACTUAL impact, you know that, so stop trying to 'save face', stop your ego from clouding your better judgement.

NASA stated that if Apophis passes through the key hold then there is very likely to be an impact. Again you are wrong. Live with it.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Your musings are clouding your judgment. NASA has stated that Apophis may impact and has even given a general location with descriptions of the destructive event. To pretend that they would not do this is wrong, just wrong. They have done it.

Again, POSSIBLE, MAY IMPACT, they have NOT said it WILL impact. There is a big difference from the two statements. You have even said yourself they will not know until it passes through the 'keyhole'.

Has no bearing. The issue is whether or not NASA would announce an impact.

Has every baring. A 300ft larger object is going to cause a much bigger impact.

And one again, NASA have NOT announced an impact yet. They have said Apophis is a possible impact, but no definite impact announcement.

NASA stated that if Apophis passes through the key hold then there is very likely to be an impact. Again you are wrong. Live with it.

So stubborn.
Announcing a possible impact is not the same as announcing an impact.

You know I am right, others know I am right. You just can't/won't allow your ego to admit defeat.

st.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Again, POSSIBLE, MAY IMPACT, they have NOT said it WILL impact. There is a big difference from the two statements. You have even said yourself they will not know until it passes through the 'keyhole'.

The point is that they have given a strike for the Pacific, something your musings suggest they would not do.

Has every baring. A 300ft larger object is going to cause a much bigger impact.

Again. Has no bearing on the issue. A strike is a strike. The matter is whether or not NASA would report an impact.

And one again, NASA have NOT announced an impact yet. They have said Apophis is a possible impact, but no definite impact announcement.

NASA has discussed the location of the impact and the ramifications of the impact. You claim they would not do that.

You know I am right, others know I am right. You just can't/won't allow your ego to admit defeat.

The point is that your musings about NASA not discussing an impact site is wrong. No matter how you try to cloud the issue you were wrong about NASA.

You were wrong because your musings for a reason NASA would not discuss an impact site are wrong.

Other examples of deadly incidents that the government does discuss: potential quakes and hurricanes.
edit on 26-9-2011 by stereologist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

The point is that they have given a strike for the Pacific, something your musings suggest they would not do.

Possible impact. NOT confirmed. I suggested they would not give out impact data along time ahead of the event.

Apophis is a possible sea impact. It is NOT a confirmed sea impact.
A sea impact is not the same as a land impact.
A habitated land impact is not the same as a desert impact.

They all have different effects that need to be taken into consideration.

Again. Has no bearing on the issue. A strike is a strike. The matter is whether or not NASA would report an impact.

Which they have not yet done. A possible impact is not the same as a confirmed impact.

NASA has discussed the location of the impact and the ramifications of the impact. You claim they would not do that.

Liar. Shame on you. I never once said they would not discuss, I never once said they would not share the 'ramifications' of an impact.

I simply stated they would not release impact data a long time ahead of the event. They need to take into account all sorts of variables.

The point is that your musings about NASA not discussing an impact site is wrong. No matter how you try to cloud the issue you were wrong about NASA.

I never said NASA would not discuss it. I said they would not make the data public. Time's change, who knows what will happen from now onward though.

I am not wrong yet, there is no confirmed impact data in public domain. When that is available, then I am wrong.

You were wrong because your musings for a reason NASA would not discuss an impact site are wrong.

I never once said NASA would not discuss it, I said they wouldn't make impact data public. They might make the data available AFTER announcing an impact, but they certainly would not make the data available BEFORE announcing it. Provided ofcourse they would be the ones to announce it.

I have given perfectly valid reasons why NASA would withold impact data, and they are valid reasons. And you can see they are valid, unless ofcourse you are just trolling.

st.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join