It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget Elenin, why does no one speak of Asteroid YU55?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by saige45

I'm sorry, I meant to say it could pass the debris of Comet Elenin, not collide with the comet itself. If Elenin has as long as a tail as is stated, I think this could be very possible. But your right, it will in no way collide with Elenin itself. Sorry my last post was misleading, thank you for the correction.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarlingWhat simulator?

universesandbox.com... also allows control over mass etc. if you have the mass info.
I was referencing the JPL Orbit simulator links as posted by the OP.

-saige-

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BGbeauregard
reply to post by saige45

I'm sorry, I meant to say it could pass the debris of Comet Elenin, not collide with the comet itself. If Elenin has as long as a tail as is stated, I think this could be very possible. But your right, it will in no way collide with Elenin itself. Sorry my last post was misleading, thank you for the correction.

It is feasible. However, any ejacta from the comet's coma and, therefore, it's tail will probably be relatively small and not really a factor in the orbital path of either the Earth or Asteroid YU55.

As a comet approaches the inner solar system, solar radiation causes the volatile materials within the comet to vaporize and stream out of the nucleus, carrying dust away with them. The streams of dust and gas thus released form a huge, extremely tenuous atmosphere around the comet called the coma, and the force exerted on the coma by the Sun's radiation pressure and solar wind cause an enormous tail to form, which points away from the sun.

Source

-saige-
edit on 17-8-2011 by saige45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by saige45

Thanks for the information Saige, that makes sense.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
What about Elenin's debris field Saige? Since its tail is extremely long, and in passing things like the Asteroid belt, could debris brought in from Elenin collide with YU55? I know that a comet is made mostly of icy material, but could it pick up something that would not vaporize in its debris field? Just thinking here, not saying this is plausible.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BGbeauregard

First, we have to make the assumption that Elenin's mass is large enough to capture an object. Second, we have to assume that at least one object of capturable mass and speed exists along the flight path of Elenin.

So lets say, for the sake of argument, that our first two assumptions come to fruition. Elenin, now has at least one neighbor that it has captured. We can postulate, according to Newton's law of universal gravitation, that the captured object(s) could not have a mass [singular mass not the combined mass of all captured objects] that exceeds the overall mass of the capturing body or Elenin. Using the same law we can also estimate the probable distances of the captured objects from Elenin. This distance would be relative to their mass and speed. In order for these objects to pose a threat to Earth, they would have to survive Elenin's trek through the inner solar system as it swings rapidly around the sun.

Any objects that are captured could be thrown off by any number of possibilities:

1. Attraction to larger mass bodies.
2. The acceleration of Elenin.
3. The coma and tail ejecta of Elenin.
4. The solar winds.

There are just way to many variables to have all of the answers, however, in order for this to occur, the first two assumptions have to be met. In reality, Elenin is of inadequate mass with comparison to the mass of other objects and speed at which Elenin and the other objects are traveling to really capture a companion or two or three or five. Elenin would pose more of a threat by impacting another object and changing it's trajectory.

-saige-

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by saige45

Very informative, I really appreciate all the information Saige.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
YU55 is not small, and indeed it size has grown from the original estimate of 150 metres to 400.
Spaceweather.com still has its size as 175metres, this link is an animation of the flyby,

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

It seems to show a safe passing for both the Earth and the Moon, in isolation then, everything seems okay, the animation appears to show a path that does not have it between Earth and the Moon at the time of passing.

edit on 17-8-2011 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Thanks for the post Smurfy, very cool animation of the flyby! Looks like it won't come between us and our view of the moon, but it does indeed come into the earths and moons orbit. That thing actually flies by REALLY close to the moon, a little too close for comfort. It should be a great sight to behold when it passes by, I'm gonna have to bust out my telescope!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks so much for the links! I will bookmark them
edit on 17-8-2011 by lisaloeb1214 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Thank you! Thank you for posting a new thread regarding this very topic, potentially helping to put elenin to rest. I feel like I have posted numerous comments on this very subject numerous times, but I applaud you posting your very own thread asking about the other NEOs that are WAAAYYYY closer than elenin. How the hell did elenin even get this much exposure, elenin is pie compared to the other NEOs due to skim earth in any of our lifetimes.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by IntegratedInstigator

Absolutely man! I completely agree with you, how Elenin gets so much attention and threads created about it, I have no clue! As we can see, there are other NEO's that pose a much greater risk to Earth than Elenin ever has, or will.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
if it hit the ocean. would it be a 100 feet tsunami. ?

edit on 17-8-2011 by 2Unknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by BGbeauregard
This sucker is big though, much, much bigger than Elenin. Kind of interesting that the FEMA emergency drills coincide with the date that YU55 is supposed to pass us.

Hopefully it doesn't change orbit and hit us, and it probably won't. It will be visible to the naked eye, and providing it doesn't impact us, it will be amazing to view something that big, so close.

Elenin is 4-5km across. I think your maths might be a little bit out. Elenin is also having that weird coincidence of the 2Dimensional alignment stigma attached to it too....and the Mayan calendar ends (The New age dates) Oct 28, not long after Elenin crosses our path.

I must admit, YU55 is a very interesting object. FEMA drills have strangely coincided on the day of events too.
edit on 18-8-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Haha, those 3 agency's have a commonality.

Look at the symbols of all of them. Start with Russia.

India has borrowed the Triangle.

Eurospace has borrowed the angled O.

They are probably one and the same. Hence no news.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

thanks for the link to the animation, very cool, I just have one question for my own curiousity. is yu55 passing in front of earths orbit or behind? I am waiting for my first cup of coffee to brew, and am having trouble keeping angles, and orbits, and rotations, "straight" in my mind.. it's making my head spin... LOL..

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

The October 28th date is a date the came from Lungold and Calleman. Those frauds have been preaching a series of claims that no one other than they preach. Real Mayan scholars laugh at their claims. They can't even get the number of tiers to Mayan pyramids right.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Here is a closer view of it's trajectory:

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Here you will see that it doesn't even cross the ecliptic of our orbit:
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Story can be found here:
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 9/17/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typos

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
Maybe because Elenin sounds more frightening, and Yu55 just sounds like a name of an average space rock. However; I will just wait til then and see it for myself.

exactly

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The asteroid that killed the dinosaurs was 10km in diameter by some estimates, and an asteroid is made up of Rock/Metal. This comet however is 400m in diameter right? Which is made up of dust and ice.

So between the Sun and burning on entry through the atmosphere would it really have much impact?

And just out of curiosity can anyone here calculate the impact it would have if it hit the moon instead of the Earth?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join