It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget Elenin, why does no one speak of Asteroid YU55?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I don't understand why everyone is still focused on Elenin, and yet Asteroid YU55 is getting little to no attention. YU55 is going to pass between the earth and the moon's orbit from November 8th to 11th, with its closest approach being about 325,000 kilometers (201,700 miles) from earth,.0022AU, which is EXTREMELY close. Nasa says it wont hit us, but the slightest change in YU55's orbit could cause it make a direct impact on Earth. This ain't no little comet either, YU55 is 1,300 feet (400 meters) in diameter. If it were to hit the Earth, it could kill millions of people easily, the reality would probably be much worse.

Check out this video of its estimated approach:

www.youtube.com...

Im not trying to scare anybody, and I'm absolutely not saying its going to hit Earth for sure, I just don't understand how this Asteroid, that has a much better chance of hitting us, gets nowhere near the attention that Elenin gets.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BGbeauregard

I guess it's because of all the hype surrounding Elenin, while other things slip under the radar.

I didn't know about it until now, thanks.

edit on 8/17/2011 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

These coming months might be bumpy ones.
edit on 8/17/2011 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Because it doesn't have an ELE in it's name!

YU55 is an impact candidate. We have already been warned.

st.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
agreed that it should be getting some attention, its just not as exciting as all the "potentals" that Elenin brings.

Elenin- could be brown dwarf
- could impact earth
- could be Nibiru
- could be alien spacecraft
- could have fleet of aliens behind it
- could tilt our axis

YU55 -could hit earth

So now you see why no one really cares about it. Its not scary enough for us ATS'er

oh and you call it an astroid and a comet, so you might wana edit that, bud
edit on 17-8-2011 by Talltexxxan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Maybe because Elenin sounds more frightening, and Yu55 just sounds like a name of an average space rock. However; I will just wait til then and see it for myself.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Maybe because it does not qualify for the long elliptical orbit of Nibiru, hence its not considered as a threat....lol

edit on 17-8-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
YU = Great Yu Controls the Waters"

en.wikipedia.org...

There is a Chinese flood story regarding a King Yu
edit on 17-8-2011 by lisaloeb1214 because: (no reason given)

You can make any name sound scary if you break it apart
edit on 17-8-2011 by lisaloeb1214 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The video says the closest approach is Nov 8 @ .079 AU.
.079 x 93,000,000 miles = 7,347,000 miles Not between Earth and moon but really close.
seed

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Hahaha, great replies guys, yall are makin me crack up over here on the Elenin jokes

When I said that it ain't no little comet, Texxxan, I was implying that it's an asteroid, which is much bigger than a comet. I can see where my wording was kind of confusing though. Good to see a fellow Texan regardless! I guess you guys are right, people are so hyped into the Planet X thing, no one seems to notice YU55. This sucker is big though, much, much bigger than Elenin. Kind of interesting that the FEMA emergency drills coincide with the date that YU55 is supposed to pass us.

Hopefully it doesn't change orbit and hit us, and it probably won't. It will be visible to the naked eye, and providing it doesn't impact us, it will be amazing to view something that big, so close.

link   

I'd say the answer is quite simple. NASA is entirely too busy with outreach programs to other regions of the world (everyone recall that new priority?) and public relations control after shutting down America's Crown Jewel with no replacement, to be doing their JOBS.

That would be the accurate and timely report to the American Public of things that may be of serious interest or concern beyond our atmosphere. Is that so hard for them to get? The fact the debate exists AT ALL is proof of a total lack of clear vision or leadership from the top down.

edit on 17-8-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

link   
this is the picture used by the sun newspaper on the day they ran a story on this asteroid..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/aa1e0970d5db.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Does anyone know the website of the Russian Space programs? They have a lot of funding

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mustard seed

That video must be old, here is what NASA says:

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Its closest approach to us will indeed be 0.00217 AU on November 8th. It will in fact go between the earth and the moons orbit. You can see why this is kinda scary.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Oh for the love of....... I could scream. Don't these people even stop to THINK that some % of real folk are going to really flip out ENTIRELY due to things like that picture? Oh how pathetic a thing for a news service to run. It makes it look like the object from the Armageddon Movie (The size of Texas, Mr President....) when it's nothing but a little rock by comparison. Will the DELIBERATE disinformation on this topic flow freely from established sources right to the last minute or what?!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
What about comet SO16?

That is listed in my searchs for YU55 also.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

It's worth pointing out, NASA wouldn't publish impact data. They would publish close approach data, but not impact data. If they published impact data people would be freaking out.

st.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by lisaloeb1214

EuroSpace

Russian Federal Space Agency

India Space Research Organization

There would be most of the Non-U.S. Space capability in the world. I don't see any of them saying much yet, either. The deafening silence on such an event may go down in long term memory as more of a story than the event itself. I won't be surprised if this wall of silence continues across the worlds authorities, but I can't understand the reasoning at this late point. It's self defeating now.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SatoriTheory

Indeed... That had been discussed on another thread..but as I'd noted over there, NASA might have been in control of the equipment capable of generating the data at one point, early on, but that point came and went a long time ago. They can try and play footsie, but a literal army of amateur astronomers will be there to scream loud enough for the world to hear if it happens. Remember, they have tracking and projected path data going down to the hour on all of these objects from the first moment of public discovery and projecting decades out into the future.

As easy as it may sound to change a few numbers..I'd looked at those data lists thinking of that and it would take changes across so much, with the prayer that people who make a hobby of watching this somehow stop watching while that happens and of course, pray NO ONE ever made an offline save of the data lists before an alteration...

Naww.... NASA COULD fake it all..but anything is possible in theory. I can't see the real world way to make it happen when anyone on Earth can double check their calculations without much money in time or equipment, this late in the game.

link   

Quite an interesting picture MisterLondon posted, and I do agree that newspaper makes it look much more massive than it really is. Regardless, a piece of rock 1,300 feet (400 meters) in diameter, traveling so extremely fast, could cause immense damage. - if it was to hit Earth, it would exert a force the equivalent of 65,000 atomic bombs and leave a crater six miles wide and 2,000ft deep, from what everything I've read has said.

NASA's approach data is not infallible, and like I said, the slightest change in YU55's orbit could cause an impact. I have not heard of Comet SO16 Jenna, I need to check that out.

Once again, Im not trying to scare anyone, or be a fear monger, I just thought it was so interesting in the fact that YU55 is getting no coverage. Also, people have speculated even seeing actual images of Elenin, whereas YU55 has a very clear image:

www.space.com...

Once again, I don't expect this to hit us, if anything it will be an amazing sight to view.

link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
The deafening silence on such an event may go down in long term memory as more of a story than the event itself.

There has not been a deafening silence, the silence is perceived.

I won't be surprised if this wall of silence continues across the worlds authorities, but I can't understand the reasoning at this late point. It's self defeating now.

I've commented on possible implications of an impact in this thread, which may helps shed some light on why there would be a perceived silence.

st.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join