It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Earthquake, 6.2 Magnitude, Off East Coast of Honshu, Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Unfortunately Japan has been hit by another earthquake, a 6.2 on the Richter scale at 11:44:07 UTC, but fortunately this one isn't strong enough to have caused another tsunami.

Honshu, Japan-(ENEWSPF)- The seabed has not settled off the coast of Honshu, Japan. Yet another substantial earthquake has struck, this one registring 6.2 magnitude on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 at 11:44:07 UTC, 06:44:07 AM(CDT) - Central Daylight (Chicago), at a depth of 37 km (23.0 miles).

The epicenter was 304 km (188 miles) E of Iwaki, Honshu, Japan; 339 km (210 miles) E of Mito, Honshu, Japan; 349 km (216 miles) ESE of Sendai, Honshu, Japan; and 418 km (259 miles) ENE of TOKYO, Japan.

No tsunami watch, warning or advisory is in effect subsequent to this event at this time.

www.enewspf.com...

edit on 17-8-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

We get 2-3 of these every day(almost), wont say its fine, but cant see why its news now...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
You will find more information at Quake Watch 2011 see link below:

Quake Watch

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Juanxlink

We must not get complacent. Non ending earthquakes of that magnitude are something we should not just "get used to". That is the problem with our news, we start becoming complacent and never get updates and so much gets swept away in favor of stupid stuff making headlines like Kevin Fertile Federline fathering another child he will have to support on Britney Spears' dime. I have family in Japan. I don't even know how they are doing because they will no longer make or accept calls because they don't want us to worry or have to field any more offers to come live with us or other relatives that they have no intention of accepting. I have no idea wtf is going over there except for what I can get from ATS and other friends on other forums that I'm cultivating.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juanxlink

We get 2-3 of these every day(almost), wont say its fine, but cant see why its news now...

You are getting lots of quakes, but not 2-3 6.2 richter scale earthquakes almost every day...

I have been looking for the past almost two weeks and I haven't seen any 6.2 or higher in at least two weeks or more.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
So... anyone think it's pure concidence that several highly un-reliable and some more credible sources predicted this? I mean all you have to do is google it and it's all over the place...(sites and videos) Personally, I think it's an interesting and fairly cool coincidence. What do you all think?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Wow so another Japan earthquake thread with no OMG OMG END OF THE WORLD....RUNNNNNN!!!!

Good job op....Terrible thing what is happening in Japan, anyone on here from Japan, you have my sympathies!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Originally posted by Juanxlink

You are getting lots of quakes, but not 2-3 6.2 richter scale earthquakes almost every day...

I have been looking for the past almost two weeks and I haven't seen any 6.2 or higher in at least two weeks or more.

My bad then, not following the quake sites much lately. Still, its not really unusual so...why not on the quake watch thread?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
They have my sympathy too. Then again, if I lived on the coast in New England and I built my house on stilts I would not expect any sympathy when a nor'easter rips my house to shreds and tosses it into the Atlantic. Just saying.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Whatever, that is almost standard for Japan. Try checking USGS List of Latest Big Earthquakes. I dont mean to be insensitive towards Japan, I like Japan very much. But they experience High five, low-mid six EQs nearly daily. They have infrastructure able to withstand 'minor' quakes such as these. Thanks for the heads up though

Star for informative post.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skorpiogurl
So... anyone think it's pure concidence that several highly un-reliable and some more credible sources predicted this? I mean all you have to do is google it and it's all over the place...(sites and videos) Personally, I think it's an interesting and fairly cool coincidence. What do you all think?

I have tried googling and can't seem to find anyone predicting this quake? How specific was this prediction you speak of?

Just wondering, because if someone made a prediction that there would be a 6+ earthquake occurring "somewhere", then it's not really that much of a coincidence. Using data from USGS since 1990, we get on average a 6+ magnitude quake every 2.4 days. The chances of predicting such a quake has quite a high probability (0.41) of success. If your prediction is more specific, for example predicting a specific location, then the probability of success decreases.

When the amount of "predictions" increase, the probability of one of them occurring also increases. I would consider most prediction successes as more of a chance based on probability than a coincidence, unless they have a significant degree of specificity. So I would be interested in seeing the specificity of any recent predictions.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curious and Concerned

Originally posted by Skorpiogurl

I have tried googling and can't seem to find anyone predicting this quake? How specific was this prediction you speak of?

Just wondering, because if someone made a prediction that there would be a 6+ earthquake occurring "somewhere", then it's not really that much of a coincidence. Using data from USGS since 1990, we get on average a 6+ magnitude quake every 2.4 days. The chances of predicting such a quake has quite a high probability (0.41) of success. If your prediction is more specific, for example predicting a specific location, then the probability of success decreases.

When the amount of "predictions" increase, the probability of one of them occurring also increases. I would consider most prediction successes as more of a chance based on probability than a coincidence, unless they have a significant degree of specificity. So I would be interested in seeing the specificity of any recent predictions.

I just googled the date and found a lot of sites and video's indicating August 17th as a date to watch for. Like I said, a lot of un-reliable sites, ya know, scare tactics. There was one video however that I found to be interesting. The person who made the video didn't seem to have any agenda other than just spreading information. I am hesitant to post the link to the video because I don't buy into the predictions and doom and gloom and I really don't want to get blasted out of the water... I am not interested in debunking. I just thought out of the garbage that is out there this particular video seemed pretty credible.

top topics

join