It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin won't kill us, says NASA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Here is a good article talking about the release NASA just put out, stating there is nothing to worry about from Elenin.

Here are some of the Highlights.

You may have seen the scary headlines. You may have read those alarming emails. But do you believe it? Just in case, NASA has issued the facts about a comet called Elenin. And no, these aren't the "facts" doomsayers will tell you.

In short, the 3-5 kilometer-wide comet can't hurt us. Really, it can't. It's too small and its closest approach to Earth will bring it 90 times the Earth-moon distance. 90 times the Earth-moon distance. That's a whopping 35 million kilometers (22 million miles) away. Could there be any conceivable impact to our everyday lives by this dirty snowball?

"A comet is nothing like a brown dwarf. You are correct that the way astronomers measure the mass of one object is by its gravitational effect on another, but comets are far too small to have a measurable influence on anything," Morrison replied.

But why isn't NASA talking about Elinen more? "Comet Elenin hasn't received much press precisely because it is small and faint," said the NASA press release. "Several new comets are discovered each year, and you don't normally hear about them either."

"The truth is that Elenin has received much more attention than it deserves due to a variety of Internet postings that are untrue."

Source

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
While this topic is interesting, there have been 5 other threads started in the last 2 hours with the same title. Search and you shall recieve

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
What about structure, do they know what its made from? Or, do we?

i hope its not: When they tell you not to panic, that's when you run!
edit on 17/8/2011 by Neoony because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Underlord13

For starters the search on this forum is a joke. I did use it, searched for Elenin, Elenin wont kill us...and found nothing that had this title or this information in it.

But thanks for the snide remark, it brought a LOT to the table.

Have a nice day!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
If there's nothing to fear, then why do they even bother to tell us so
Obviously there is something to fear about...

OR

Its whats hidden behind comet Elenin that will kill us

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Mythos13

Learn how to use the search?

How about try using the words Elenin and NASA?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

Also did that, But THANKS!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
And i care about a comet that is not going to hit the earth because....?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I don't understand why everyone is still focused on Elenin, and yet Asteroid YU55 is getting little to no attention. YU55 is going to pass between the earth and the moon's orbit from November 9th to 11th, with its closest approach being about 325,000 kilometers (201,700 miles) from earth, which is EXTREMELY close. Nasa says it wont hit us, but the slightest change in YU55's orbit could cause it to impact Earth. This ain't no little comet either, YU55 is 1,300 feet (400 meters) in diameter. If it were to hit the Earth, it could kill millions of people easily, the reality would probably be much worse.

Im not trying to scare anybody, and I'm not saying its going to hit Earth, I just don't understand how this Asteroid, that has a much better chance of hitting us, gets nowhere near the attention that Elenin gets.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
i think it wont kill us, but NASA would never tell the world if some comet is coming to kill us anyways, they would try to tell people lies, so we will never actually know from them the truth about "the world ending".

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
If there's nothing to fear, then why do they even bother to tell us so
Obviously there is something to fear about...

OR

Its whats hidden behind comet Elenin that will kill us

It's not hidden anymore if the "little people" (that's me) know about it. I just gots to get my internet connection up and running again. Don't want to miss the news on this important topic. Take care.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mythos13

ive made the connection before.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Well if NASA says it then it must be true.

top topics

join