It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Contact - A Matter Of Timing, Local, Scale and Interest ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
For one, we're kind of looking for aliens who are like us, because at the moment, they'd be the only ones we'd have a chance of communicating with. We don't know how to communicate with crystals or lumps of mud, no matter how smart they may be. We can barely communicate with each other. So we want to find critters that share our own perception of reality, and to do that, they'd probably look and act a lot like us. It would be an evolutionary longshot, but what isn't?

As for the timing, any aliens who are any more than probably 10,000 years older or younger than us would be hard to connect with, too. Humanity itself is unlikely to last more than 5,000 years more, what with our ability to modify ourselves at will by fiddling with our genetics, and our soon to come creation of artificial intelligent life. We just won't last. And even if we stayed kind of the same, our technology is already shifting away from radio broadcasts to cable transmission, and from analog to digital, which is pretty hard to decode without the right keys. We're going radio silent. Aliens might, also. And it might be a good idea. A predatory alien species might easily track radio signals. To them, it would be be like a big light reading: COME AND GET US!

So you're right. With the universe so incredibly huge, the chance of life happeningso incredibly small (probably), and with other possibilities such as "aliens" not quite existing in our conception of reality, the odds of us finding, much less communicating with beings like us are likely so extremely small as to be realistically impossible.

But it doesn't hurt to look. We have the time and resources. And hey, we beat the odds so far by existing and evolving. Maybe there are other lucky creatures out there, too. Also, there may be some unknown factor that we can't measure that makes the possibility of contact with aliens inevitable, rather than impossible. Hard to say.

So far, though, it looks like we are the only planet with living things in the universe. Does that make life more precious, or does it make it worthless?

Oh, I totally agree it doesn`t hurt to look and it wwould be fabulous if we could get some answers on this subject. I think life is precious even if we never find any other living things in the universe. Imagine how boring it would be if we had all the answers to our questions already replied.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by AQ6666
reply to post by Stovokor

Agree. The Earth is just a tiny sand particle of the cosmic beach.

hilariously pessimistic thinking. it's not "just a" tiny particle but a jewel in the crown.

the universe may be infinite and out of our reach for the time being, but that may not be the case for others, in their eyes it could be miniscule in comparison. galactic travel could be child's play for them and they're thinking universal travel. perhaps they have computer systems so powerful they can map entire galaxies, and that we are mapped already and probes are in the process of investigating us.

For us it definetly is is the jewel in the crown. That`s why we tend to think that Aliens would only come to visit us because they want something from us or from the Earth and not because they want to share/give something with/to us.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

reply to post by Stovokor

Agree. The Earth is just a tiny sand particle of the cosmic beach.

hilariously pessimistic thinking. it's not "just a" tiny particle but a jewel in the crown.

the universe may be infinite and out of our reach for the time being, but that may not be the case for others, in their eyes it could be miniscule in comparison. galactic travel could be child's play for them and they're thinking universal travel. perhaps they have computer systems so powerful they can map entire galaxies, and that we are mapped already and probes are in the process of investigating us.

For us it definetly is is the jewel in the crown. That`s why we tend to think that Aliens would only come to visit us because they want something from us or from the Earth and not because they want to share/give something with/to us.

exactly, because if we base their power structures off of ours, in plain english, we would be travelling the stars to take resources from earthlike planets and moons to maintain our ships and nomad space society.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

reply to post by battl3star

Slave us ? ...what would a civilization with such a developed technology need slaves for ? .....Even us, the humans, have already replaced the animals, that used to help in the farms, by machines.
edit on 17-8-2011 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

I can definately understand where you are coming from with this statement. But every time I come across this argument I always shake my head and wonder a bit. This may be a bit of a stretch but stay with me here.

-Machines need maintenance and periodic repairs; Human bodies repair and maintain themselves.
- One needs workers to assemble and produce the machines (unless you have self replication); Humans already self replicate, in fact we are very good at doing this.
-Machines rely on software and source codes etc, they perform a specific series of tasks; Humans software is highly autonomous, situationally aware, able to make decisions, etc.
-We can leave rovers on mars for just a few earth years, satelites in orbit for a few decades; Humans can be left on earth for many thousands if not tens of thousands of years all the while maintaining, if not improving, their level of function (becoming smarter, more efficient, etc)

Humans are essentially biological machines. We consume fuel, produce 'exhaust', and perform work.
We are the human machine.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by IntegratedInstigator

Although you do have some good points I don`t believe an alien civilization would make us their slaves in order to replace their machines work and tasks. We are talking about civilizations with a much developed technology than ours considering they would be capable to travel here from distant planets and galaxies.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I have no issue with the notion of aliens visiting us and learning,teaching and adding to out lives. Invasion and adductions,not so good. Well, the odd probe may be ok. haha.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join