It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA shoots down comet Elenin doom and gloom predictions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I was kinda waiting for something like this. You see, while I respect many of your opinions, ATS has been WAY full of trolls since Anonymous got big, and furthermore, it seems like the schizos and people who think they know about things that NASA is the authority on just have crawled out of the woodwork lately with this 2012/Elenin/whatever else crap...

While I also think that it's possible other life exists out there, no truth has pointed in that direction. I leave that knowledge to God unless He reveals it to us...So the thoughts about Elenin being controlled by intelligence is another theory that I can't put much stock in, unless they land and say hello.

While I also take things government agencies say with a grain of salt, NASA is one of the more trustworthy of all of them.

I personally think Dies Irae will actually be supernatural in origin, from the one and only Creator, Yahweh at indeterminable time and date.

The comet Elenin which will pass by Earth October 16 has generated such an inordinate amount of doomsday reports from a number of different sources that NASA today issued a release meant to address a variety of them. To address the myriad concerns, NASA said its scientists compiled a list of the most popular questions it has received about Elenin. The answers were provided from Don Yeomans of NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and David Morrison of the NASA Astrobiology Institute at the NASA Ames Research Center.

As to the gravitational effects:

"It will have an immeasurably miniscule influence on our planet. By comparison, my subcompact automobile exerts a greater influence on the ocean's tides than comet Elenin ever will."

Source
edit on 17-8-2011 by joesomebody because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Not to sound too harsh, and not saying anything will happen, but really, trusting what NASA has to say regarding anything is a bit...sheeplish(sp).

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Juanxlink

I trust NASA more than people on ATS whose credentials are suspect, and who really know nothing of astrophysics more than I do but try to sound like they do...and I don't know all that much. Watching Stargate SG-1 doesn't make you an expert in astrophysics (and yes, I like SG, but this is a good point).

I think it's more wishful thinking for the crowd who say that we're all going to die because of this comet - they want the world to end, to end their suffering, but want to end everyone else who is marginally or fully content along with them out of spite and jealousy.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by joesomebody

So there I was, being lazy and just scanning the titles of the new posts, and I see "NASA shoots down comet Elenin".

Wow, I think to myself, that's aggressive, but pretty exciting, so I open the thread only to find that NASA hasn't shot down the comet, just the predictions.

What a let down!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Anyone who wants to believe that Elenin is going to smash earth won't be bothered by facts, or scientists affirmations that it's false.. they'll believe it, and you'll be the moron for not listening to them.. that's the kind of mentality that seems to happen with this topic.. nothing will sway them.

It's pretty much like that with any conspiracy topic however.. no amount of fact matters.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Juanxlink

But listening to a YouTube user who lies about the size of telescope that Elenin used to originally find it, and then lying about not being able to find it with a telescope he doesn't even have is completely rational and open minded.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Sorry buddy, but there is far too much historical, and freely available information to support the following:

NASA = Never A Straight Answer

A NASA press conference must be taken with a full jar of Mortons salt. They aren't exactly in the business of keeping the public well informed.

As to the Elenin thing.... there are no CLEAR signs of imminent danger, but lots of very good speculation and theories. Whats the harm in keeping an eye on it? Oh wait, NASA said we shouldn't worry about it...

edit on 17-8-2011 by DamaSan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

What precisely is the point of this post ? I fail to see any relevance whatsoever, not even a clear statement or some information.

But then again, someone with an avatar like yours, and the text fragments below it, complaining about trolls posting on ATS .. that simply made me break out in laughter, so thanks for making my day buddy !!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
Anyone who wants to believe that Elenin is going to smash earth won't be bothered by facts, or scientists affirmations that it's false.. they'll believe it, and you'll be the moron for not listening to them.. that's the kind of mentality that seems to happen with this topic.. nothing will sway them.

It's pretty much like that with any conspiracy topic however.. no amount of fact matters.

Just this topic? LoL ... plenty of others too. I really feel like ATS has gone downhill alot since the late 90's/early 2000's, as trolling has come about a lot more, and people are in this mob mentality online anymore because of social networks that train them to be monkeys who jump to those who make up the false information.

Science has to be observable and measurable in some way and so far the observable and measurable facts from reputable sources available to us point out that elenin isn't anything to worry about...and IMHO we could probably nuke it quite easily if it came close enough to the earth for a missle to reach it...otherwise a laser could melt it at a distance.

Originally posted by DamaSan
Sorry buddy, but there is far too much historical, and freely available information to support the following:

A NASA press conference must be taken with a full jar of Mortons salt. They aren't exactly in the business of keeping the public well informed.

As to the Elenin thing.... there are no CLEAR signs of imminent danger, but lots of very good speculation and theories. Whats the harm in keeping an eye on it? Oh wait, NASA said we shouldn't worry about it...

And I'm sure that you can prove it? Asking point blank questions at a press conference will not get all the details, but enough to inform you. There's always mistakes and non-truths and lies that may be told, but in general, the overall picture is usually pretty clear. Speculation isn't worth anything without facts to base it on, and 90 million miles seems pretty safe to me. Furthermore, I think you mean hypotheses, which is a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation - but we can't really investigate much further, it's been done to death. Worrying about this crap is unproductive compared to doing anything else...go play with your dog or walk in the park, or something.

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie

What precisely is the point of this post ? I fail to see any relevance whatsoever, not even a clear statement or some information.

But then again, someone with an avatar like yours, and the text fragments below it, complaining about trolls posting on ATS .. that simply made me break out in laughter, so thanks for making my day buddy !!

The point is to show that NASA has actually said something about it now in regard to all the FUD that mostly started here on ATS. Take it or leave it, lots of people are like you (just look at the idiots on Digg and Reddit). You're too narrow minded to accept me for what I am - a real Christian by faith, and you're further a troll. Go crawl back under your bridge.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The Elenin doomsdayers have had their little fantasies shot down time and time again... but unlike them, you learn something very quickly. Stupid people don't understand rational answers because they're stupid.

IRM

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Well, I missed something somewhere....So, there IS a comet named Elenin, and it IS "headed in our general direction"?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Argen

Yes, that much is fact.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
It's just that most of everything else you hear around here about this Elenin/Nibiru stuff isn't based on anything other than those two loose details out of context, without any facts from NASA or anyone else qualified to talk about it.

By our general direction, that's 90 million miles...

Also, on Nibiru...you people seriously believe that stuff too? I mean, Remote Viewing is at least plausible, I've even been super accurate on a controlled experiment a time or two...but we've never had real undeniable proof of extraterrestrial visitors/abductions... Most of you get your info from crazy hair guy on Ancient Aliens, which serves nothing more than a way for the establishment to warp history, especially the Bible any chance they get.

Whatever happed to "deny ignorance," folks?

en.wikipedia.org...

The idea was first put forward in 1995 by Nancy Lieder, founder of the website ZetaTalk. Lieder describes herself as a contactee with the ability to receive messages from extra-terrestrials from the Zeta Reticuli star system through an implant in her brain. She states that she was chosen to warn mankind that the object would sweep through the inner Solar System in May 2003 (though that date was later abandoned) causing Earth to undergo a pole shift that would destroy most of humanity. The predicted collision has subsequently spread beyond Lieder's website and has been embraced by numerous Internet doomsday groups, most of which link the event to the 2012 phenomenon. Although the name "Nibiru" is derived from the works of late ancient astronaut writer Zecharia Sitchin and his interpretations of Babylonian and Sumerian mythology, Sitchin denied any connection between his work and various claims of a coming apocalypse.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Now that's original...

Anyhoo not that I'm defending NASA but the Doom and Gloom Youtube reliant sheaple crowds can always fall back on 2012 or the other just as realistic scenario of the Earth spontaneously imploding or some other cataclysmic nonsense about the ending of humanity.

We are all going to eventually DIE!

Some it will be years and decades away for others only a matter of seconds or minutes etc. I'd like to think that some would have figure that out by now and enjoy life while actually LIVING in the moment.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Now that's original...

Anyhoo not that I'm defending NASA but the Doom and Gloom Youtube reliant sheaple crowds can always fall back on 2012 or the other just as realistic scenario of the Earth spontaneously imploding or some other cataclysmic nonsense about the ending of humanity.

We are all going to eventually DIE!

Some it will be years and decades away for others only a matter of seconds or minutes etc. I'd like to think that some would have figure that out by now and enjoy life while actually LIVING in the moment.

I know, but really it comes down to people who likely hate their lives and want a quick escape, but want to bring down the ship with them as an act of revenge for their own discontent. Can they not live their lives and wait to die at the same time? I mean there are other things you could look forward to than dying in a fireball, like finding a significant other or spending time with that significant other, or hanging with people you love.

I imagine a lot of these people as being shutins in mom's basement, or at the very least closet goths who really just want to die. That saddens me but seems about right since the economy's bad and people in general are bored and feel purposeless without something meaningful in their lives, not to mention the holes in the lives of everyone who don't know Jesus as Savior.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DamaSan

Excellent...a real answer.

"It will have an immeasurably minuscule influence on our planet. By comparison, my subcompact automobile exerts a greater influence on the ocean's tides than comet Elenin ever will."

Ok..I get that...but an ocean's tide could have one heck of an influence on a sub-compact. Is that where all the trajectory differences are coming from?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Do I feel threatened by elenin? NO. Do I understand why everybody has come out of the woodwork to talk about it and the whole Doom and Gloom aspect? Yes.

Deep down, I believe everybody is hoping to be wiped out by some catastrophic "blink of an eye" event. We look at the way things are in utter disbelief.

If the comet, planet, dwarf star, etc, doesn't wipe us out we can look forward to long miserable deaths propagated by the mistakes of individuals and our "elected" officials.

We can look forward to a long unhappy life of servitude to the corporatist beast. That is the underlying story behind the stories.

I understand the message that you are attempting to convey OP, but it is falling on the deaf ears of those who have already given up the pursuit of happiness.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I don't want to die, I have plenty of purpose in my life.

One thing I know as absolute fact is that everything I believe today will most likely change tomorrow.

I don't put any faith or belief in government agencies, media or anything of the kind.
I have a close friend who works for NASA, in administration, even he doesn't believe anything they say

I say if people want to believe in fantasy, let them. Why not? Maybe it bothers people so much because it makes them question their own beliefs? Who knows.

I simply believe in the possibility of the impossible.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Wow!

I didnt know so many were preparing for the DOOM. I've noticed about a half dozen other threads pop up after this one

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by joesomebody

While I also think that it's possible other life exists out there, no truth has pointed in that direction. I leave that knowledge to God unless He reveals it to us...So the thoughts about Elenin being controlled by intelligence is another theory that I can't put much stock in, unless they land and say hello.

What truth has pointed to the existence of the supernatural omnipotent being that Christians refer to as God? Why is the idea of an extraterrestrial intelligence controlling Elenin harder to swallow than the existence of Judeo-Christian God? This might sound like off-topic rambling, but it's important because you contradict yourself and it makes you lose credibility. You verify like a rationalist and rely on scientific data when it comes to dismissing the silly Elenin/Nibiru conspiracy nonsense, but on the other hand you demonstrate blind faith when it comes to your religion. It's this "selective logic" that religious folks exhibit which makes me feel uncomfortable. Why isn't the same critical thinking applied to religion?

That might have sounded like a brief personal attack so as a gesture of good will I have to thank you for the topic! The hysteria surrounding Elenin has gotten out of hands so I hope these statements directly from NASA finally put things into the right perspective.
edit on 17-8-2011 by famalhut because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join