It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blood On My Shirt - Where Are the Real Men At?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
She probably deserved it. "She broke my heart, so I broke her neck" comes to mind.

Women have the power to drive a man insane.

Also, you waited till after he knocked 2 of em out before you stepped in. What did you think was gonna happen?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I see an animal attack another, I do not intervene. I learn of a man harming another. I do not intervene. I see a man in the process of harming another; do I intervene, or do I not? this question baffles me to the very core. I know the answer, but swallowing it and abiding by it, is the hard part.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
I got in the middle of a road rage incident one day where a big guy started beating on an old man out the front of some shops. The big guy kept swinging over the top of my shoulder at the old guy i was shielding so I warned him to stop as he was very close to hitting me in the face in his rage. He stopped for a second, I relaxed my hold on him and he swung a big punch over my shoulder clipping my ear. I uppercut him to his big ol' glass jaw and dropped him in one. The whole time, a bunch of guys bigger than me were watching on from the other side of the road... doing nothing..

Anyhow... The old man took off into the milk bar. As this is where I was going in the first place to buy a newspaper and milk, I went in to see if the old man was ok. It turned out he owned the milk bar. He didn't say thank you and the old prick charged me full price for my paper and milk. I quickly realised how an old ass like this got himself in that situation in the first place. I said to him... "no problem mate" as if to spur him into acknowledging what I just did for him... nup.. still no thank you. It's like it never happened.

Two words.... NEVER AGAIN!

IRM

Another example that illustrates the point I made, too bad IRM for trying to be a decent human being; experiences like that put you off wanting to ever intervene.

link   

Did you only do it in order to be thanked? If that's your motivation for helping people, then yes; in this society, you're going to burn out pretty quickly.

I will admit something here, in order to demonstrate a point; and it won't be detrimental either, because none of the people who were likely affected by this will know who I am.

There's a church food bank not far from where I live, and they've been doing it very hard recently, to the point where they have been thinking they'd have to close down. Some months ago, I bought $200 worth of various kinds of food, took it up to the place, left it outside, and made very sure that I wasn't identified in the process. A little further back, someone on YouTube was in danger of losing their apartment; and again, I sent them the same amount so that they could afford to avoid being evicted.

Before you assume that I must have a lot of money, if I can afford to throw that sort of amount around, I don't. I'm on welfare myself; $200 is a bit less than a third of what I get per fortnight. I generally don't really eat more than once a day, and there have been times when it's been once every 2-3 days.

My point is this. If you want to be able to continue helping people long term, you need to understand that compassion isn't about how other people treat you, but about how you treat them. Ultimately, it becomes an identity issue, and a question of what you want the world to be like. You help people not because of whether or not they thank you, or even necessarily because of how they treat you at all, but simply because of who you are.

I can promise you this; the psychopaths who are primarily responsible for turning the world into the current hell, are absolutely conscious and deliberate about it. They mean to do it, they feel conviction towards doing it, and they love it. They want a world that is completely based on fear and misery; and they're going uncomfortably close to reaching their final goal, at this point.

This might sound cliched, but in the end, it does come down to deciding which team we're playing for.
edit on 17-8-2011 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

You do the best you can and that is all you can do.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf

you strike a dude with a glass bottle then quote Gandhi lol. I think you might be confused. Real manly men hahaha get real guy, women and the media have been distorting the image of a real man for years. Its a tough guy no its a hard worker who makes enough money to care for his family, no its cold man who doesn't give a damn about anything and never gets hurt. Truth is nobody really knows what a real man is.

LOL! You make some good points though, but if you would of read the rest of the post you might of seen what I was saying. And I do practice non-violence but even Gandhi said at times violence is better than passivity.

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence....I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honour than that she should, in a cowardly manner, become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonour. But I believe that non-violence is infinitely superior to violence..." sfr-21.org...

Peace.

ps. I never said I was a "real man" or a "tough guy".

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
You did the right thing..... You vowed to never hurt another human.... But I think you learned a lesson.

Sometimes, in order to save some one, some one else has to get hurt.

You saved three people. Do you know that?

Some one could have been killed. Thanks to you, everyone is alive.

Thanks to you, that girl can get the help she needs.

Real men.....I think they are hard to find....

Personally, I don't know if I had been able to stop, like you were, if I saw a guy beating up three girls... I have no tolerance for guys who hurt women or children....at all....

You did the right thing.... You, have earned the right to call yourself a man today.Be proud.

edit on 17-8-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anoynymoose
She probably deserved it. "She broke my heart, so I broke her neck" comes to mind.

Women have the power to drive a man insane.

Also, you waited till after he knocked 2 of em out before you stepped in. What did you think was gonna happen?

Did you even read the post? I said a man was beating his preteen/teen daughter and two women stepped in to help.

I see this thread is going to stir up some odd reactions.
Peace.
edit on 17-8-2011 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Th0r
I see an animal attack another, I do not intervene. I learn of a man harming another. I do not intervene. I see a man in the process of harming another; do I intervene, or do I not? this question baffles me to the very core. I know the answer, but swallowing it and abiding by it, is the hard part.

You know what? You see a man beating up a child or a woman.......INTERVENE!!!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

You wouldn't happen to be the loser that was beating up those women and that girl, would you?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

you my freind is what this world is lacking
so dont beat yourself up you did a good thing
and i for one respect you
and think you are brave
i would of and have done the same

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I got in the middle of a road rage incident one day where a big guy started beating on an old man out the front of some shops. The big guy kept swinging over the top of my shoulder at the old guy i was shielding so I warned him to stop as he was very close to hitting me in the face in his rage. He stopped for a second, I relaxed my hold on him and he swung a big punch over my shoulder clipping my ear. I uppercut him to his big ol' glass jaw and dropped him in one. The whole time, a bunch of guys bigger than me were watching on from the other side of the road... doing nothing..

Anyhow... The old man took off into the milk bar. As this is where I was going in the first place to buy a newspaper and milk, I went in to see if the old man was ok. It turned out he owned the milk bar. He didn't say thank you and the old prick charged me full price for my paper and milk. I quickly realised how an old ass like this got himself in that situation in the first place. I said to him... "no problem mate" as if to spur him into acknowledging what I just did for him... nup.. still no thank you. It's like it never happened.

IRM

So you only help people if you benefit in the end? That is kind of selfish.... How about being happy with the satisfaction that you made a difference, even if you don't get much gratitude.

Did you ever think that maybe the old man was humiliated? Too embarrassed to acknowledge what happened?

Just because you don't hear the word "thanks" is no reason to never help anyone again.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

You now what? You see a man beating up a child or a woman.......INTERVENE!!!!!

At what point do I or you stop? who am I to exercise violence when it is the very thing that destroys us all?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

You wouldn't happen to be the loser that was beating up those women and that girl, would you?

How did you know?

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy
Did you even read the post? I said a man was beating his preteen/teen daughter and two women stepped in to help.

I see this thread is going to stir up some odd reactions.
Peace.

I skimmed your post really fast, might of missed a few things. Still a daughter can break their fathers heart. My dad used to beat the # outta me when I was a kid, and my mother. Also I'd never hit a girl, but that doesn't mean everyone is like that.
edit on 17-8-2011 by Anoynymoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

You now what? You see a man beating up a child or a woman.......INTERVENE!!!!!

At what point do I or you stop? who am I to exercise violence when it is the very thing that destroys us all?

That is a great point. And that is what I am questioning right now. Could I have talked this guy down? Probably not. Should I have called for the police and allowed him to continue beating these women and his daughter, maybe even to the point of seriously injuring them? To be honest, right now, I don't see how that would be possible, I would feel even worse then I do now knowing I could of stopped it. Could I have utilized better fighting skills to subdue him more passively? Yes, but he was about 120 pounds heavier and 4 inches taller, so maybe not.

Again, good question though, I will continue to ponder it.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I put myself in harms way... a man much, much bigger than myself for a person I didn't even know. The least he could have done was acknowledge it. That's not really expecting much in return mate. Like everyone else that was standing around, I could have just as easily let him get the crap beaten out of him... but I didn't roll that way. Truth is that he's lucky I was there. End of story!

IRM

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Yeah.. and go figure... judging by some of the other responses here... apparently I'm the a-hole! I would put real money on the fact that these people dissing me would be one of those cowards looking the other way when the SHTF.

IRM

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I'm just wondering how the Op knows that this was his daughter. Did he or the girl say something to indicate this?

The reason I'm asking is because women, teens, and children are abducted every day. What if this was an abduction scenario? Look how many people just decided to sit and watch it go down.

Glad you intervened, Op. Sometimes we have to make decisions that we can't question after the fact or it will drive us insane. Stop wondering if you've tarnished your soul since you promised never to hurt another living creature. I'd like to believe that sometimes we ARE in the right place at the right time for unknown reasons that are way beyond our understanding. As long as you never hurt someone out of anger, revenge, or hatred, don't worry about it.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I have a personal philosophy to not interfere with the lives or activities of others unless those activities become a threat to myself or those in my care. Seems a bit draconian, perhaps, but as in all things, it comes down to how you interpret it. A guy beating on his daughter in public is a menace. If he is willing to beat on a child in full view of everyone else, then he is an unpredictable element and should be contained. Once he started beating on the "good samaritans", he becomes a threat to the public in the immediate vicinity, including myself and must be stopped.

I think the bottle was a bit over the top, but when you are defending yourself, you do what it takes.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy
I would feel even worse then I do now knowing I could of stopped it.

We all could stop a lot of injustice if were to choose to. we could vigilantly patrol our suburbs & cities stopping violence with violence. Is it maybe only because you witnessed it, with your own eyes and at that very moment overcome by emotion, paralyzed mind, fear of doing nothing caused you to do something. How can we burden our self with the guilt of doing nothing, if that is what we all do, everyday.

What if it happened again, tomorrow, then the next, and the next? each day do you continue to stop it? do you reach a day when enough is enough?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join