It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As U.K. Releases UFO Files, Former UFO Project Chief Apologizes For 'Spin And Dirty Tricks' (Exclu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Wow, I was blown away by this article. Nothing super crazy (except for mention of a mile long ship being reported by multiple pilots lol), but just a very sober sounding compendium of how the UK dealt with the 'UFO problem.'

Not that there aren't 'nuts' in the UFO field, but this is pretty telling:

"I'm a little bit apologetic about this because obviously, when I was in MoD, I had to play this game myself. To really achieve our policy of downplaying the UFO phenomenon, we would use a combination of 'spin and dirty tricks.' "We used terms like UFO buffs and UFO spotters -- terms that mean these people are nut jobs. In other words, we were implying that this is just a very somewhat quaint hobby that people have as opposed to a serious research interest." But Pope said the ridicule policy went much further than that. "Another trick would be deliberately using phrases like 'little green men.' We were trying to do two things: either to kill any media story on the subject, or if a media story ran, insure that it ran in such a way that it would make the subject seem ridiculous and that it would make people who were interested in this seem ridiculous." WATCH: Pope further admits that he may have been the one who drafted actual MoD statements that contributed to the ridicule policy. "If it was my words, then I apologize, I'm very sorry for that. I believe in open government and freedom of information. I believe that the UFO phenomenon does raise important defense, national security and air safety issues, and if I helped kill any initiative on that, I'm deeply sorry." Some U.K. cases were apparently easier than others in trying to make them seem non-credible. Like the file that describes UFOs reported at the June 2003 Glastonbury Music Festival. "It was very easy to find an incident where something is seen at an event like a rock concert," Pope noted. "You don't even need to say a thing without the public or media perception being that drugs and alcohol might have played a part. It was all part of the way in which we spun the subject, to try and discredit it."

Also, what is this about?

A file from 1993 (while Pope was chief of the UFO Project) describes how European Union funds had been wasted on a report that included a theory that aliens had established a base in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 17/8/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Nothing really surprising here but thanks for the post.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Yeah, dirty tricks have been used for years and years. Good to see someone else with a little insider knowledge speaking of it though. Not that it'll change much, those who have bought into the ridiculing system, will continue to do so.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Interesting, but despite being right on top of all the evidence flooding in, we're left with...

Pope concedes there's still no written evidence confirming alien visits to Earth.
"Not just yet -- there's no spaceship-in-a-hangar smoking gun. However, there are plenty of sightings that I think show that we're dealing with more than just aircraft lights and weather balloons."

So if there's anyone out there who wants to make a career choice in the right direction and years from now get his old job, you might still be left with sand running through your fingers.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

make total sense to me!this would explain why no scientist will risk his career or his credibility looking into the UFO problem seriously.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

That true, but don't forget that the most recent files have yet to be released. Somewhat interesting that they are holding it back.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I saw Nick Pope speak at a UFo day thingy a couple of years ago, he said that the bulk of what was left to be released was mainly FOI requests from people asking when the files will be released. I have no idea how true this is, but that's what he said. So don't expect too much from the last few batches to be released.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It says it in fine print in an MSM article. That a government body has deliberately downplayed the UFO phenomenon to deceive the public. This is so important to consider, and I'll tell you why.

The jokes in society are why the UFO subject never gets far. No matter how many congressional hearings happen, people in general don't care because it is a non-issue. Former military officer memos? The disclosure project? Mostly known by those of interest. So the next time someone makes a joke like little green men, remind them that they were played by none other than the works of their own government as shown by this article.

As people begin to realize this, suddenly, joking about UFOs is an insult to their own intelligence. And this makes it SOCIAL UNACCEPTABLE. Like anti-smoking campaigns, sometimes its not the fear or taxes that discourages behavior, but social engineering. Religion is untouchable- so why is the subject of UFOs allowed to be trampled over?
edit on 17-8-2011 by bananasam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Ah, well that would be somewhat disappointing....Of course, the real knowledge is held above the PR people anyway....

So, did Pope seem like a credible guy in person?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by skunknuts
reply to post by Acidtastic

Ah, well that would be somewhat disappointing....Of course, the real knowledge is held above the PR people anyway....

So, did Pope seem like a credible guy in person?
Yeah he kind of did, he answered any questions which came his way, even those which questioned his own agenda for doing what he's doing. Again, no idea if he was telling the truth, but he seemed ok.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Hearing that the MoD ridiculed using wording like "little green men" reminds me of another manipulation or two that goes on.....like in regard to 911, those "crazy conspiracy theorists" or Ron Paul...."Everyone knows he can't win" Say something enough people believe it, that's how they manipulate the sheeple.

edit on 17-8-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I first saw this disclosure on facebook, and I came here to ATS to see if anyone would make a thread about it here.
I think about all the information relegated to the government intelligence ("above") Top Secret (Top Secret with code) that never gets released, EVEN, by WikiLeaks and Anonymoys.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The archives are still free to download, dont now how long for though.

ufos.nationalarchives.gov.uk...

Right click on the files and save as.

Ive got them but not much new in them really.
edit on 17-8-2011 by remymartin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Nice little read, thanks!

I always thought that Nick Pope was a bit devious back in the day, though he's certainly helped the progression of Ufology since leaving the MoD. I mean c'mon, who better to have on your side than a former MoD employee spilling the beans on how they cover this stuff up..

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
Yeah, dirty tricks have been used for years and years. Good to see someone else with a little insider knowledge speaking of it though. Not that it'll change much, those who have bought into the ridiculing system, will continue to do so.

Correct. Because if it aint broke don't fix it. This ploy has worked for decades and will continue to do so. How often do we have skeptics and debunkers use those very phrases about little green men right here on ATS ? Laughter and ridicule work not only to put claimants in their place but also works to quell any claims that might otherwise be made because of the fear of scorn. Nice tidy little package. And if that doesnt work, swamp gas does.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Some U.K. cases were apparently easier than others in trying to make them seem non-credible. Like the file that describes UFOs reported at the June 2003 Glastonbury Music Festival. "It was very easy to find an incident where something is seen at an event like a rock concert," Pope noted.

I was at Glasto that year and might have seen the UFOs he mentions. We were watching the Super Furry Animals on the Pyramid Stage and the people around us started pointing up and swearing. As we looked up, a group of lights slowly moved against the night sky. It was a genuine 'WTF moment' and there was something magical to it all. They stopped moving and just hovered there for a few moments before moving on in the same direction.

The wonder passed and we carried on watching the Furries before moving on to catch the end of the Radiohead set.

Later on, we saw some people sending up Chinese lanterns, made from bags, from the Green Fields and I think that was what we had seen. If it was lanterns, they'd been joined together because they moved at the same time and didn't drift apart like they usually do.

It's put a smile on my face remembering it and not expecting to see that it got reported.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Nick Pope is a scumbag imo. He went to a UFO conference recently where the audience were asked for a show of hands on whether people thought 9/11 was an inside job.Everyone but him raised their hands. He said in a very recent Sun newspaper article that the UFO community are playing a very dangerous game holding such beliefs. Or something to that effect, I can't find the article.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by theoneeyedman

Yup, I was looking at his Facebook profile, and he proudly shows that he is a "Neoconservative Democrat" "hawkish on defense and foreign policy".
Really surprised me, I woulda figured him for someone kinder-and-gentler.

9-11 IS AN INSIDE JOB tricky Nicky.
edit on 17-8-2011 by simone50m because: edit

new topics

top topics

join