It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As An Atheist What Is Your Purpose In Life?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I'm not asking this to bag on Atheist or anything like that, it's an honest question and I would like hear what your views are. This is not a debate, I might have a few questions for those that respond but I'm more interested in just learning about what an Atheist has live to for.

What is your purpose in life?

What message are you trying to send to others?

What would you like to be remembered as?

While I do not agree with the Atheist view these are just honest questions that I have been curious about. If possible lets try to keep basing anyone's religious belief out of the topic.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to hearing from you.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by RealTruthSeeker

To love the ones I love, and the ones that love me.

None. Everyone should be free to live life as they see fit, with or without beliefs, with or without norms.

The key word is respect, not messages or meanings or paths. If people respect eachother, everyone will get their message through, even the ones who have no message at all.

For the person I am, not for the person others want me to be.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

There is no purpose, just to enjoy life as best we can until we become worm food

I am an athiest, i dont believe in sky fairies....not only the Christians ramblings but all of them.

I do however think (not believe) there may be something else after we die...not a heaven, just a different experience.

Anyways, as im a filthy athiest id best get back to my murdering, raping and pillaging

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy

I do however think (not believe) there may be something else after we die...not a heaven, just a different experience.

Do you believe any of the stories from those who have had a CDE (Clinical Death Experience)?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Sweet answer, but you dont need to worry bout the murdering, raping and pillaging. They have been doing that in the name of god since time began.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
As an atheist I believe that this is the only crack we have at life, and I'm extremely lucky to be alive at this point in history.

Since this is my only life I get I think it's absolutely precious.

Since trying to get atheist to agree on anything (the old herding cats joke) or to be organized ill give you my take on what I want out of my life:

To experience as much love as possible, from my family, partner, friends, and pets.

To live with principals I truly believe in and do no harm to others.

To leave this world a tiny bit better than it was when I came (volunteer and charity work).

To accumulate as much knowledge as I can.

To make real personal connections with others.

As far as being remembered, I could care less..that is an ego thing I just wasn't born with.

When I die I know that my mind will also die but the stuff I'm made out of will go back into the ground and be around for billions of years.
edit on 17-8-2011 by Stovokor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker

To love, to be loved and to reproduce. And in general, just enjoy life as much as possible

None, but I do believe peoples morals shouldnt be judged by their religious choice

A good guy really, someone who loved his family and tried to be the best person he could be

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
My purpose? To have a family and share my love with them and all the people I care about.

I only wish to be remembered fondly by those I cared about.

200th post.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Question @ Why worry about what other peoples purpose in life is, be concerned only with your own!!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by outerlimits

Question @ Why worry about what other peoples purpose in life is, be concerned only with your own!!

That wouldn't be very Christian like..lol..they are always way too worried about how everyone else is living!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I agree with you. And (expanding on this theme without implicating you).... while the question as such is 'legitimate', just as a poll on "why do you like tomatoes", I have my doubts about the motive.

According to my experience with missionary theists on this forum, this direction mostly ends with a: "But without a purpose, even more so without MY purpose, you are 'lost' ".

Imo this is just another frenetic search for a preaching opening, but that's just a personal guess. Possibly manifested or not later in this thread.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil

I agree with you. And (expanding on this theme without implicating you).... while the question as such is 'legitimate', just as a poll on "why do you like tomatoes", I have my doubts about the motive.

According to my experience with missionary theists on this forum, this direction mostly ends with a: "But without a purpose, even more so without MY purpose, you are 'lost' ".

Imo this is just another frenetic search for a preaching opening, but that's just a personal guess. Possibly manifested or not later in this thread.

As I said in the beginning, I'm not looking to bash anyone regarding their beliefs or life style. Your not obligated to answer. I just like to hear other peoples views sometimes, what's wrong with that?
edit on 17-8-2011 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker

Originally posted by bogomil

As I said in the beginning, I'm not looking to bash anyone regarding their beliefs or life style. Your not obligated to answer. I just like to hear other peoples views sometimes, what's wrong with that?
edit on 17-8-2011 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

Because the existential question of 'purpose in life' is better placed under 'philosophy and psychology' if it's without any religious connotation.

If the question IS with a religious connotation, I believe my initital post gives you an answer.

PS I make the choice on what to respond to on a public forum. No-one else......and it has nothing to do with 'obligations'.

Addition: But come to think of it, my purpose in life is to search rational explanations in any contexts, as long as rationality carries.
edit on 17-8-2011 by bogomil because: addition.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

To live the life I have to the fullest and to be the best fellow person I can be to other people.

I'm not. I really don't believe in proselytizing.

A good father, husband, and friend. Oh, and someone who was pretty handy in the kitchen.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Implying that without a man made character and story that life has no purpose.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Atheist's have no purpose, they can only see things in black and white, kinda like a person who's color blind.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Interesting claim. Care to expand on it, or are you just throwing stones?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
Atheist's have no purpose, they can only see things in black and white, kinda like a person who's color blind.

I have a purpose...its to piss you off with my atheism

Atheist and proud!!!

edit on 17/8/2011 by OzWeatherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration

I would rather see in black AND white then to not see at all like the christians seem to be suffering from. We might be color blind...but christians are just plain blind.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

derp

de derp

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join