It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FLORIDA: 85% of Pain Pill Prescriptions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

In the U.S., it is believed that 85 percent of the country’s prescriptions for painkillers originate in Florida[]

MIAMI—The White House drug czar wants doctors, states and law enforcement working harder to stop America's deadliest drug-abuse problem: highly addictive prescription painkillers. They are killing more people than heroin and coc aine combined as they foster a slew of illegal "pill mill" clinics centered in Florida.

Five Year Plan

US aims at its deadliest drug problem

I have several friends of friends in Florida that either are addicted, in jail, flat broke, or sickly looking because of black market pain pills. There does seem to be an epidemic in that state.

Your thoughts?

Sri Oracle
edit on 17-8-2011 by Sri Oracle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

I have several friends of friends in Florida that either are addicted, in jail, flat broke, or sickly looking because of black market pain pills.

If someone abuses something, don't blame the something - blame the abuser. No one made people over dose on any medication. I've got a relative who's been (legally) on narcotic pain meds for almost10 years and he has never taken more than his Dr. prescribed and is still taking the same dosage as he did a decade ago.

people abuse things and then want to blame those things they abused. That doesn't work because until they accept responsibility for their own actions, they will never be free of it.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

In Houston Tx the same pain managment abuse problem has been existing for at least 3-4 years know. I no quite a few people who go stand in those long lines for hours on end to get their zanax-soma-codeine. They keep some for themselves, they sell the rest. I knwo of 3 people who have died from this problem. What I cant figure out is, why has`nt the media brought notice to houston?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
oddly, this is the first I've heard of this.

Do you honestly think they'll (Fed) do anything that might damage the profits of pharma/chem companies?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
don't blame the something - blame the abuser. No one made people over dose on any medication. I've got a relative who's been (legally) on narcotic pain meds for almost10 years and he has never taken more than his Dr. prescribed and is still taking the same dosage as he did a decade ago.

I agree, and I do know of some people in quite the same circumstance you describe that take pills as prescribed. I do see fault however on the prescribing end in Florida. It does seem that many more pills are prescribed than are actually needed by patients. There should be some sense of liability/responsibilty on the physician end of things.

Sri Oracle

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

MDs need to step up and take responsibility for this mess too bad they are too busy dropping Oxycontin to care

edit on 8/17/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The whole war on drugs is causing a lot of pain around the world. Many parts of the world have no pain management available and there are many growers, suppliers and doctors that take huge risks to try and provide what little relief they can. I know people who have been on morphine and it's relations for long periods of time and it does make a huge difference to their quality of life despite its problems. Clean medical grade stuff is generally a lot better than what is available on the street with heroin a bad one due to its high additivity which alters priorities.

As for Florida, it does have a reputation as a retirement community and with so many elderly pain management is very common. Pretending this issue does not exist is the worst thing to do as it does impact the world in many ways. Pain management is very important with a huge demand all around the world, it needs to be done responsibly without war and corruption interfering and just making matters worst.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Without going into detail, I divorced my husband over his addiction to painkillers that were supplied to him by Florida doctors. IMO, the entire state has been proliferated with drugs for years, both legal and illegal. What I thought was happening was that there was supposed to be a system in place that all presciptions written went into a central database so pharmacist would know if the person getting their meds were doctor shopping for meds. I don't know if this actually materialized or not, but I completely agree with the OP.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I don't want to deny the big Drug Problem in the US
but afaik Florida has also many old retired People with a good Insurance

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I have lived in FL for 20 plus years and this does not surprise me in the least bit.

I would say that 80% of the people I know have had an addiction to some kind of pain pill. Of them about half stay hooked and then get hooked on other pills.

They make it ALL to easy here to get pills, it's ridiculous.

My ex years ago was addicted to hydrocodone. He took 30 a DAY! He also took xanax like it was candy. I can't believe he didn't die. He was a recovering addict from years prior and then he hurt his back again and got addicted to the pain meds they gave him. He was sober for over 6yrs at that point. It was hard, I helped him go through rehab and get over them but it took about a year. Well about 6mths later he had his appendix out and he told the doctor on the form he was a recovering addict from hydrocodone. He told them he use to take 30 a day and went to rehad yet what does that dumb doctor prescribe? He prescribes hydrocodone! I chewed that doctors head off. We left and I got him some extra strength tylenol for pain. He was fine! That doctor KNEW his history and blatantly ignored it. My ex is not the first person I know this has happened to.

He was at one time getting prescriptions from different doctors in one day. When I found this out I knew something was wrong and to support his habit he started selling them. It is a sad cycle that I see all too well. So many end up doing this to feed their own habit and support themselves because they are so pilled out they can't function at a normal job.

I blame the doctors and the drug companies. They make it too easy! I am sorry but half the people on these meds do not need them, they are addicted to them and think they need them. You can just go to your doctor complain of back pain and bamb you get hydrocodone or you can't sleep bamb here is some ambien or xanax! There should be stricter regulations on some of these meds and they shouldn't be given out so freely and so easily. Too many people are addicted and it's ruining people lives and families. It is really sad and having been in a situation with a loved one who was an addict it makes me mad because it can be avoided!

Another thing I think they should do is when you get a prescription for these it automatically goes into a statewide database so that you can't go to multiple pharmacies at once and doctors can only issue these with a certain license I mean why can't they do something like that?! To me it seems logical and not difficult. They take all my information anyways!

There is no need for so many people to be addicted to these pills. This can happen to ANYONE. It doesn't matter what your background is, anyone can become addicted to these.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
...the oxycontin/codone/whatever jag has been going on for at least two or three decades... i thought refill restrictions on certain level narcotics was federally regulated but maybe not...

...here in texas, i dont think you cant get 240 oxycontins in one perscription... i cant even get my mom's sleeping pill or anti-psychotic in that big of a quantity... i asked when i first moved here because i wanted extra in case of infrastructure fail or floods or other disaster scenarios - but - i was told no and that it was all federally regulated...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Doesn't surpirse me at all. I mean I never in my life have seen so many pill poppers (to get high) who have legal prescriptions in my entire life living anywhere else. It's bad here, I half don't blame them anymore either cause this states gov is so f'ed up, it is gonna drive me to drink!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I think a lot of people are completely missing the primary cause.

#1, We have an aging population.

#2 . We have an under exercised over weight population.

# 3. We have a malnutrition problem. (Supplements can help pain)

This means: BACK PROBLEMS!!!!

Unless you have actually had to put up with chronic back or knee pain you have no Idea of how much you crave a few hours relief.The Rising Incidence of Chronic Pain

If you have lower back pain, you are not alone. Nearly everyone at some point has back pain that interferes with work, routine daily activities, or recreation. Americans spend at least $50 billion each year on low back pain, the most common cause of job-related disability and a leading contributor to missed work. Back pain is the second most common neurological ailment in the United States — only headache is more common. Fortunately, most occurrences of low back pain go away within a few days. Others take much longer to resolve or lead to more serious conditions.

Acute or short-term low back pain generally lasts from a few days to a few weeks. Most acute back pain is mechanical in nature — the result of trauma to the lower back or a disorder such as arthritis. Pain from trauma may be caused by a sports injury, work around the house or in the garden, or a sudden jolt such as a car accident or other stress on spinal bones and tissues. Symptoms may range from muscle ache to shooting or stabbing pain, limited flexibility and/or range of motion, or an inability to stand straight. Occasionally, pain felt in one part of the body may “radiate” from a disorder or injury elsewhere in the body. Some acute pain syndromes can become more serious if left untreated.

Chronic back pain is measured by duration — pain that persists for more than 3 months is considered chronic. It is often progressive and the cause can be difficult to determine..... www.ninds.nih.gov...

The Rising Incidence of Chronic Pain: 1 in 6 Americans Suffer Pain

....As baby boomers age, the number of people with painful conditions like osteoarthritis will rise. Current estimates of those living with chronic pain range from 50-65 million....

But while previous generations may have been more willing to accept pain as an inevitable consequence of aging, experts say many baby boomers won't stand for it.

"I think that baby boomers are less likely to accept the status quo," says Steven P. Cohen, MD, an anesthesiologist in the division of pain medicine at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. "They have a sense of entitlement. Living the rest of their lives in chronic pain is just unacceptable."

www.webmd.com...

edit on 17-8-2011 by crimvelvet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Heres a story from here in Souh Florida.
www.tcoasttalk.com...

Donnie Winfrey would send drugs out to many different states from South Florida. He would pay people to go into doctors office get the perscriptions and even pay for the doctor visit. Then buy the prescriptions from them for cash and then pay people to drive the drugs to different states where he had buyers for the drugs. He would even rent cars for them to drive. So the problem is a little bigger than most people think.

And when they say they go after doctors who break the law. This woman was convicted of murder and still has never gone to jail. And she was convicted in 2003 but shes still free. She filed to over turn her conviction and was set free till she goes back to court again. Now the state wnts to just drop the case all together. But she was convicted. So how does that work.$$$

medicalserialkillers.kaiserpapers.org...
edit on 17-8-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

join