It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gullible Press Falls for GOP Letter Fraud

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Here we go again. Sometime after the invasion of Iraq a letter (from a G.I. in Iraq) was going around talking about what a wonderful job our forces were doing and how happy the Iraqis were with us. It may have slipped by unnoticed; but the Rovian dummy behind it made the mistake of sending more than one copy to the same newspaper. And to make things worse, it fell into the hands of a former military member who spotted the propaganda a mile away. It was so blatant, word spread fast and the idiot behind it was forced to come clean. Anybody remember that? One of Rumsfeld's stooge officers typed the letter, made copies and had his dim-witted soldiers sign their names to it. They then sent the letter out to as many U.S. papers as they could. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB.

It's happening again. So beware. Already, some 60 papers have fallen for it. It's another form letter straight from the lair of idiocy. Here it is:

Stupid papers and GOP astroturf
by kos
Tue Aug 17th, 2004 at 21:00:29 GMT

The GW04 site has handy templates for letters to the editor. See the top one on the list:
New job figures and other recent economic data show that America's economy is strong and getting stronger - and that the President's jobs and growth plan is working. The Labor Department announced that employers added 288,000 new jobs in April. In total, over 1.1 million jobs have been added since August, with 8 consecutive months of gains.
Now google that entire phrase, and see the results. About 60 newspapers have run that letter, sent by GOP automatons too stupid to vary the wording even a tiny bit.
dailykos.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
My God. It's true. I'm crying laughing.

Google it. Post results. Out the stupidest (or most complicit) newspapers on the Net.

"Original" NEWSish Source:
Date published: 8/17/2004

Readers, don't be fooled by John Kerry's flip-flopping on issues when new job figures and other recent economic data show that America's economy is strong and getting stronger--and that the president's jobs and growth plan is working. The Labor Department announced that employers added 288,000 new jobs in April. In total, over 1.1 million jobs have been added since August, with eight consecutive months of gains.

Fredericksburg.com (The Free-Lance Star)

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I tell ya what Rant, the mainstream press is filled with so many thoroughly indoctrinated, willfully ignorant people you will find. It's sad. I just thank God I didn't go to Journalism school. (I chose political science, instead.) Poli/sci teaches you how to think independently - with the right profs. J-school teaches the pack mentality (self-censorship). This is why so many of them fall for this crap. It's unbelievable.
I hope readers will write in to these idiotic papers to tell them how utterly ignorant they are and what tools for propaganda they are.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
I hope readers will write in to these idiotic papers to tell them how utterly ignorant they are and what tools for propaganda they are.

I'm doing my part. Already hit Free Lance Star news staff and editorial desk.

You fell for it Free Lance Star. Your "letter to the editor" from "Rose M. Brooks" of Stafford contains the EXACT phrasing from the GW04 site automaton letter campaign outed by DailyKos.com as appearing nationwide in "spontaneous" public outpouring.

"New job figures and other recent economic data show that America's economy is strong and getting stronger - and that the President's jobs and growth plan is working. The Labor Department announced that employers added 288,000 new jobs in April. In total, over 1.1 million jobs have been added since August, with 8 consecutive months of gains." dailykos.com...

So are you ashamed or complicit?

Google. It's not just a suggestion anymore. It's a good idea for Editors.

I suspect I'll be busy today and not on ATS much.

One down.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

I'm doing my part. Already hit Free Lance Star news staff and editorial desk.

You fell for it Free Lance Star. Your "letter to the editor" from "Rose M. Brooks" of Stafford contains the EXACT phrasing from the GW04 site automaton letter campaign outed by DailyKos.com as appearing nationwide in "spontaneous" public outpouring.

"New job figures and other recent economic data show that America's economy is strong and getting stronger - and that the President's jobs and growth plan is working. The Labor Department announced that employers added 288,000 new jobs in April. In total, over 1.1 million jobs have been added since August, with 8 consecutive months of gains." dailykos.com...

So are you ashamed or complicit?

Google. It's not just a suggestion anymore. It's a good idea for Editors

Way to go Rant!
I hope everyone who reads this follows your lead. It's time to hold our media accountable to the people, as well as government officials!

And p.s. They can't stand it when you point out how wrong they are.

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
The seemingly high caliber of some of these papers is shocking. Knight Ridder's Ledger-Enquirer of Columbus!?! The articles seem fairly bi-partisan.

So they're just lazy? One wonders if Vernon Riley of Columbus even EXISTS!!!

You're right ECK they can't stand it when you point out how wrong they are, so I'm changing my tag line...

Google. It's not just a suggestion anymore. It's an Editor's JOB!

I will be abducted and beheaded before this day is over.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Sometime after the invasion of Iraq a letter (from a G.I. in Iraq) was going around talking about what a wonderful job our forces were doing and how happy the Iraqis were with us.

Iraq is better off with now - the facts -

a press conference held by Paul Bremer, Coalition Provisional Authority Administrator, on October 9, 2003.

www.chronwatch.com...

www.stevegrande.com...
-From the Commanding Officer at MWSS-171 (written to his Marines)

www.usaid.gov...

I know your post is about fake letters etc ... but I thought I'd point out
that the facts about Iraq in that letter were actually true.
Iraq is much better off now.

[edit on 8/19/2004 by FlyersFan]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I gave up on newspapers long ago. They have old news and they are
just propaganda machines for who ever runs them (either to the left
or the right). We can't be bothered spending our $$$ on them.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Your demise is a subject of some note elsewhere. I would like to take the time to throw a little cold water on the "happy, and dare I say joyful" exchange between you, and ECK. Despite your usual assertion that this is a Conservative/Republican phenomena, I humbly submit �Fahrenheit 9/11� and the all to prolific diatribes of Michael Moore, often mistaken for �fact�, his OPINIONS are portrayed as nationally syndicated news. Both sides of the argument have the misguided, and overzealous supporters that will resort to any means necessary; to demonize one side, while eschewing the other is partisan, and disingenuous.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Mirth, your complicity (as always) is duly noted for the record. And I will happily meet you for bouts of Indian Leg Wrestling with any tie being settled in the traditional Masonic rite of dueling as soon as I finish excercising my God given right to drink whiskey sours from a can while writing the Editor's of every major news outlet in the free world.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Sometime after the invasion of Iraq a letter (from a G.I. in Iraq) was going around talking about what a wonderful job our forces were doing and how happy the Iraqis were with us.

Iraq is better off with now - the facts -

a press conference held by Paul Bremer, Coalition Provisional Authority Administrator, on October 9, 2003.

How gullible can you be?
Sorry, but you're investing in something that's already been blown out of the water. You might wanna find some new and more reliable sources.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

Your demise is a subject of some note elsewhere. I would like to take the time to throw a little cold water on the "happy, and dare I say joyful" exchange between you, and ECK. Despite your usual assertion that this is a Conservative/Republican phenomena, I humbly submit �Fahrenheit 9/11� and the all to prolific diatribes of Michael Moore, often mistaken for �fact�, his OPINIONS are portrayed as nationally syndicated news. Both sides of the argument have the misguided, and overzealous supporters that will resort to any means necessary; to demonize one side, while eschewing the other is partisan, and disingenuous.

Hate to burst your bubble, but uh, F/9-11 doesn't have anything to do with this thread. Nice try, though.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
CAn't you see the Bushies squirming out there, knowing they've been caught in yet another fraud? It's getting embarassing.

For this, and other reasons, I have decided to bail from the once GRAND OLE' PARTY, my lifelong political home. I neither recognize my party, nor have an ounce of respect for the corrupt and pathetic organization. They're getting worse and more idiotic than the Democrats were through the 90's. So much for the revolution.

Hello Independents..

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Mirth, your complicity (as always) is duly noted for the record. And I will happily meet you for bouts of Indian Leg Wrestling with any tie being settled in the traditional Masonic rite of dueling as soon as I finish excercising my God given right to drink whiskey sours from a can while writing the Editor's of every major news outlet in the free world.

I happen to be "monkeying around", but that is a product of birth; my complicity in routing 50 million dollars to the city of New York, so they can host the dreary (and totally unnecessary) GOP convention (imagine what I think of the DNC fiasco) in relative safety is overstated by all accounts. As to �Indian Leg Wrestling�, I believe my superior skills have carried the day, prehensile tail excluded, but if you are adamant, a test of skill in the �sweet science� of shuffleboard can be arranged (I don�t think this is fair, owing to my inherent home field advantage). As a Freemason, I am obligated to respect the religious pursuits of others; this not withstanding, whisk(e)y sours, my dear man, the liver is evil, and must be punished, but abandon ye, all hope for the palate? I think not. Your �cat fancy� is duly noted, I have personally pursued the feline from my formative years, to the present, a most irascible quarry, contentious, and disruptive, yet always in the periphery of my thoughts. Such is the fate of both Man, and Beast.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I love it! Great find there ECK!!!
I just hope this doesn't get buried and that someone in the major media networks picks this up...I think I'll send this to "The Daily Show With John Stewart". They seem tohave a nack for exploiting major screw ups that no one else has the balls to talk about.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I figured as much when it first began showing up in the media. What dolts!

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   

How gullible can you be?
Sorry, but you're investing in something that's already been blown out of the water. You might wanna find some new and more reliable sources.

Nope. The Coalitional Provisional Authority IS the best news source
when it comes to what is happening over in Iraq. None of this has
been 'blown out of the water'. But if you prefer to listen to other
news sources than the people who are actually running things over
in Iraq, go ahead.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   

May we all watch? That could be kinda' ... interesting.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

How gullible can you be?

Nope. The Coalitional Provisional Authority IS the best news source
when it comes to what is happening over in Iraq. None of this has
been 'blown out of the water'. But if you prefer to listen to other
news sources than the people who are actually running things over
in Iraq, go ahead.

Trust me, the last person I wanna hear from about the progress is someone who is "running things over in Iraq". I'll take the word from my brother in law who came back this summer. He is going to a therapist to get over the messed up sh*t that he saw and went thru over there.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I'm sorry to hear that your brother in law is having mental
health difficulties with the war. It's understandable.
However, that doesn't change the facts that the provisional
authority put out ... the facts about electricity, schools,
etc. etc.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join