It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What! Happened To Fedor Emelianenko?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org... fedor was up until recently virtually unstoppable and the most feared striker in all of mma,the "giant killer" submitted and knocked out fighters over and over and over again and many of these victories were against people that were much larger than he was...then suddenly he seems all washed up with three losses in a row and hes not even old as far as mma goes,what happened to fedor?video.google.com...#

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

edit on 17-8-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
You have to have seen his last three fights to put the losses into perspective.

Against Fabricio Werdum, he actuall dropped Werdum and was hitting him while Werdum was on his back before Werdum, being the BJJ black belt that he is, secured a combination triangle choke/armbar and forced Fedor to tap. Either way, Fedor was close to winning that fight before getting caught.

Against Antonio Silva, Fedor was up against a much larger fighter, was getting beat up, but was in the fight. After the second round, the doctor stopped the fight, but Fedor was ready to go. In my opinion, had the fight gone to the third, Fedor had a good chance to win it.

Against Dan Henderson, Fedor was teeing off on Dan, got him up against the cage and on his back, but slipped, gave up his back, which allowed Henderson to land an uppercut that dropped Fedor, causing the ref to stop the fight. Again, like against Werdum, Fedor was winning the fight and could have stopped it due to strikes if not for a mistake.

On any given day in the cage, Fedor is still one of the most dangerous heavyweights in the business. Unfortunately, that law of averages has caught up with him and he's suffered three consecutive defeats, each of which could have been victories.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
There was also talk of retirement after both the Silva fight and the Henderson fight. This leads me to believe that his head may not have been 100% in the game. In the sport of MMA, you have to be mentally and physically ready for a fight. You also have to be hungry for a fight. With the word "retirement" being thrown around, I do question his hunger these days.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobdigi
You have to have seen his last three fights to put the losses into perspective.

Against Fabricio Werdum, he actuall dropped Werdum and was hitting him while Werdum was on his back before Werdum, being the BJJ black belt that he is, secured a combination triangle choke/armbar and forced Fedor to tap. Either way, Fedor was close to winning that fight before getting caught.

Against Antonio Silva, Fedor was up against a much larger fighter, was getting beat up, but was in the fight. After the second round, the doctor stopped the fight, but Fedor was ready to go. In my opinion, had the fight gone to the third, Fedor had a good chance to win it.

Against Dan Henderson, Fedor was teeing off on Dan, got him up against the cage and on his back, but slipped, gave up his back, which allowed Henderson to land an uppercut that dropped Fedor, causing the ref to stop the fight. Again, like against Werdum, Fedor was winning the fight and could have stopped it due to strikes if not for a mistake.

On any given day in the cage, Fedor is still one of the most dangerous heavyweights in the business. Unfortunately, that law of averages has caught up with him and he's suffered three consecutive defeats, each of which could have been victories.
in the werdum fight fedors fist never even made contact,werdum fell over backwards and fedor "should" have let him stand back up,...around 50% of fedors wins are against opponents taller and heavier than he is...did you check out the fedor vs goodridge fight link that i posted? look how fast,hard and accurate fedors striking "was,"...fedor knocked around tim silvia like a rag doll and tim silvia's weight,height and reach are a lot more than fedor who is 6ft tall,230lbs with a 74" reach, tim silvia is 6ft 8" tall 300lbs with an 80" reach and fedor crushed him really fast,but fedor gets knocked around by bigfoot silva whos a lot smaller than tim silvia !?!?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
around 50% of fedors wins are against opponents taller and heavier than he is..

No doubt! Size can't be used as an excuse. Anyone remember this fight? (Fedor is a big guy, but looks like a dwarf in comparison):

In my opinion, Fedor is losing because of many reasons.
* getting old
* fighters are figuring him out
* law of averages says he will lose eventually
* his head is no longer in the game
* he is facing tougher competition than he was in Europe & Asia.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
for the past five years fedor was the main reason why i liked to watch mma...now it nick diaz and i've greatly admired him for quite a while now,nick diaz gets better and better and soon he'll be facing george st pierre! who is not a finisher so i'll go with nick diaz

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
First of all he got old which happens to every combat sport athlete not named Bernard Hopkins, or Randy Couture. Furthermore, he wasn't the killer that everyone seems to think he was. Yes he beat up Cro-cop and Nog but that was YEARS ago. In his prime he was probably the best heavyweight in the world. He hasn't been in his prime in a long time. It happened to Liddell, Hughes, It's happening to BJ Penn, and it will happen to GSP and Anderson Silva. MMA fans have this strange dichotomous way of thinking where if you win you're unbeatable and as soon as you lose you're done. Fedor is still a good fighter and he has the power in his hands to change the course of a fight with one punch, but his days as the pre-eminent fighter in the division are behind him.

PS if you're using his fights against giants with no fighting ability to prove how great he was you need to go back and watch UFC 1. The Smaller more skilled fighter will win 99 times out of 100.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
i dont think the giant fighters he was beating up on were talentless or they wouldnt even be in the ring in the first place.he pounded andre arlovsky 6ft 4",semmy shilt 6ft 11" and tim silvia 6ft 8" ,to name just three...i'd like to see "the non finisher judges champion george st pierre" perpetually beat up on fighters 50lbs heavier than himself...no way... it wouldnt happen...when bj penn loses,people complain that the other guy was 2 lbs heavier!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
what happened is simple

he is not in 110% in fighting anymore
he's psychically exhausted
and years keep coming. no going back. motive is going down. so many years on top...

he's still good fighter, one of the best if you ask me but he'll keep loosing until he finds new challenge in martial sports. Same thing happened to Mirko Filipović.

While he was hungry for victories, he was in matches 200% in. Then came years, heavy injuries, family.
You know people get old, evolve, have different life motives...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dinamo
what happened is simple

he is not in 110% in fighting anymore
he's psychically exhausted
and years keep coming. no going back. motive is going down. so many years on top...

he's still good fighter, one of the best if you ask me but he'll keep loosing until he finds new challenge in martial sports. Same thing happened to Mirko Filipović.

While he was hungry for victories, he was in matches 200% in. Then came years, heavy injuries, family.
You know people get old, evolve, have different life motives...

thanx for your comment...did you watch the footage of fedor in the link?...he was intense!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

i dont think the giant fighters he was beating up on were talentless or they wouldnt even be in the ring in the first place.he pounded andre arlovsky 6ft 4",semmy shilt 6ft 11" and tim silvia 6ft 8" ,to name just three...i'd like to see "the non finisher judges champion george st pierre" perpetually beat up on fighters 50lbs heavier than himself...no way... it wouldnt happen...when bj penn loses,people complain that the other guy was 2 lbs heavier!!!

I was referring to the video of Fedor beating Hong Man Choi when I said giants with no fighting ability, but since you brought it up. Arlovski has a Glass Chin but was dominating the fight until his weakness caught up with him. I'd say that fight was an example of how Fedor's skills had slipped since his prime in the middle of the last decade. Semmy Schilt is a Kickboxer with no ground game and Tim Sylvia has been Ko'd by a 40+ Ray Mercer. I'm not saying these guys are talentless.. I am saying that Fedor beating them does nothing to prove he is at the upper echelon of the Heavyweight division. As for GSP... Throw him in against Giant Silva or Hong Man Choi and he'll win... Easily.. In fact I'd give GSP the edge against Fedor giving up 40lbs.
edit on 22-8-2011 by Buddha1098 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-8-2011 by Buddha1098 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098

Arlovski has a Glass Chin. Semmy Schilt is a Kickboxer with no ground game and Tim Sylvia has been Ko'd by a 40+ Ray Mercer. I'm not saying these guys are talentless.. I am saying that Fedor beating them does nothing to prove he is at the upper echelon of the Heavyweight division. As for GSP... Throw him in against Giant Silva or Hong Man Choi and he'll win... Easily.. In fact I'd give GSP the edge against Fedor giving up 40lbs.
no way would st pierre beat the fedor thats pounding out gary goodridge in the link i put up and st pierres gonna get beat by nick diaz as well because diaz is a finisher and st pierre is a judges champion video.google.com...# and you talk like all these big guys that fedor beat were wimps or something...
edit on 22-8-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Yes Fedor pounded out Gary Goodridge... In 2003... Fedor was an amazing fighter but unless he has mastered Time Travel, I don't think an 8 year old video of him pounding out a guy who was never really that great to begin with is helping your case

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

reply to post by blocula

Yes Fedor pounded out Gary Goodridge... In 2003... Fedor was an amazing fighter but unless he has mastered Time Travel, I don't think an 8 year old video of him pounding out a guy who was never really that great to begin with is helping your case
everyone gets old,everyone becomes less than what they were,but these facts will never change fedors glory days.take st pierre from anytime period you choose and put him up against fedor from anytime period and its not that hard to figure out the winner.in the video link you can watch all of fedors fights and lets see st pierre drop 400lb,6ft,8" zulu with one punch...
edit on 23-8-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Buddy I'm into reality not fantasy. Whether Fedor could beat GSP is irrelevant. You think he would, I think he wouldn't they\re never going to fight so it doesn't matter. You started this thread asking what happened to Fedor. I told you. You are shocked by Fedor's recent slump because you are a casual fan of MMA. I as close follower of the sport so I wasn't surprised by his losses.

If you want to disagree with me that's fine but have something more tangible than your opinion and nearly decade old video clips.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

reply to post by blocula

Buddy I'm into reality not fantasy. Whether Fedor could beat GSP is irrelevant. You think he would, I think he wouldn't theyre never going to fight so it doesn't matter. You started this thread asking what happened to Fedor. I told you. You are shocked by Fedor's recent slump because you are a casual fan of MMA. I as close follower of the sport so I wasn't surprised by his losses.

If you want to disagree with me that's fine but have something more tangible than your opinion and nearly decade old video clips.
thanx for your reply...what would the world be like if everyone thought the same...st pierre lost to a lower level fighter,matt sera and fedor could take out that guy with one arm.i liked fedor the giant killer a lot...i still do...but the most improved fighter in recent years is easily nick diaz...
edit on 23-8-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Your boy Diaz is on a tear... I think that stops against GSP. GSP will grind out another lopsided victory without finishing. I'd love to see Diaz take it.. But GSP isn't getting KO'd by Diaz and he isn't getting subbed.

I like GSP as a person but as a fighter he's so boring to watch. You really think Diaz has a chance?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Your boy Diaz is on a tear... I think that stops against GSP. GSP will grind out another lopsided victory without finishing. I'd love to see Diaz take it.. But GSP isn't getting KO'd by Diaz and he isn't getting subbed.

I like GSP as a person but as a fighter he's so boring to watch. You really think Diaz has a chance?
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I watched your video and i remember that match!
he WAS great

but nowadays he seems to me without motive to go on.

on other hand; i'm convinced that so much crap people talk about him nowadays goes on his nerves and I can't wait to see the moment he goes back in training like he used to do. and to shut up Dana White's mouth. God forgive me but i really hate that pompose, ignorant, egoistic ex half-aerobics instructor

Killer will be back.

edit on 31-8-2011 by Dinamo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join