It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Projects from the Past

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
If anyone has seen the picture of the N/D-102 on a previouis thread and found it interesting I have several; other project illustrations from 1978 - 82 that may not have been seen by many, these include the very early designs (and alternatives) for the Eurofighter project (of which the N/D-102 was just one, another included what was virtually a bi-plane jet fighter also from Dornier). Other projects include an AEW Hercules and a four-jet version of the E-2C Hawkeye with a USB arrangement like the An-72 and Boeing YC-14.

It would cost me many ATS points but would anyone be interested in seeing these designs? They include aircraft from all shperes of aviation, one of them is a New Zealand project that was proposed as being available as either a crop-duster or anti tank aircraft!

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
upload to www.microsqft.com

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Many thanks, I didn't know about that. I've just done a test post which worked fine so I guess I'm off and running now! Cheers again.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I would love to see them. I saw the YC-14 protoype at the Pina Air Museum last winter.

The Boeing Model 953 design for STOL performance was based on the use of a supercritical wing which provides highly efficient performance from the wing at high subsonic speeds. To this wing Boeing added an advanced wing upper-surface blowing concept, mounting the twin turbofan engines forward and above the wing so that their efflux was exhausted over the wing (this location also gave the airplane a quieter noise footprint.). With the wing's leading-edge flaps and Coanda-type trailing-edge flaps extended, the high-speed airflow from the engines tended to cling to the upper surface of the wing/flap system and was thus directed downward to provide powered lift. It was the most efficient powered-lift system ever developed.

[edit on 19-8-2004 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Post away!!! Do the biplane jet fighter first please.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I did say 'virtual' biplane.

The Dornier 'Rautenflugel' was a very radical design which featured a LERX equipped shoulder mounted wing which was joined at the tip with a near unswept low mounted wing. This was one of many designs studied by Dornier for Germany's TKF90 project, which ultimately led to their participation in the Eurofighter Typhoon. A single seat aircraft, it is not immediately obvious from the picture but it shared the vertically stacked twin engine layout that is unique to the BAC Lightning amongst 'real' aircraft. Dornier believed that this type could be made ultra manoeverable by dint of benefitting from the inherent rigidity of a biplane type structure. Naturally it died an early death but it would have been interesting to see how a prototype might have performed.

[edit on 19-8-2004 by waynos]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Wow, FREDT, it can't get anymore aerodynamic then that. (sarcasm off)

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Grumman/NASA E-2CUSB Super Hawkeye

This was a joint NASA and Grumman proposal to upgrade the E-2C Hawkeye by equipping it with four GE TF-34 Turbofans.

According to the proposal the Super Hawkeye would be 125Kt faster than the standard aircraft, allowing more time on station and yet would have an approach speed of only 65Kt.

Most importantly, it was felt, the Super Hawkeye would be able to maintain an altitude of 43,600ft compared with 29,000ft for the standard turboprop powered version, with the obvious benefit of a much larger search area for its radar. The project won the support of the US Navy but was denied funding by congress in 1982 and was cancelled.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos

God, we should move that pig into the Ugly thread!!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by waynos

God, we should move that pig into the Ugly thread!!!!

I dunno, its got a certain beauty to it! I like it anyway....

new topics

top topics

join