It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How have you changed since 9/11?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by psikeyhackr

Do some research on how many Americans are killed due to automobiles? Trace it back to the 1970s.

No, no, no - I refuse to.

It has been about 40,000 people every year for decades. We are supposed to believe ways could not have been found to reduce that LONG AGO. So about 400,000 Americans have died due to automobiles since 9/11.

Now wait - death due to automobile? Its a little more complicated than that, don't you think? If someone is killed when a train hits an automobile is that a death by automobile or by train?

That is one of the things I have found weird about this country. I have known about that 40,000 figure for more than 30 years, so why are 3,000 supposed to be such a big deal.

Well lets see if I can explain it to you. You see, we all know that driving in an automobile includes some inherent risk. We all have lost loved ones or friends in car accidents. We do reasonable things to mitigate the risks. The difference is that once you get to your office you should be relatively safe. So when a few thousand people died horribly at work, all in the same place and at the same time and at the hands of a murderer, well that is kind of an exception. I am sorry to hear that you don't think its such a big deal. And since you used the phrase "this country" and not "my country" I am going to assume that you are not a US citizen or that if you are you may not be all that "in to it". So may I suggest you go live somewhere where everyone else thinks that 3000 murders in one day in a span of a few hours is not such a big deal.

Airliners destroying skyscrapers in less than two hours is the weird occurrence of 9/11.

Close, but not really, its the 3000 murders.

This is not about how many people were killed on 9/11.

Yes it is.

That is just used to manipulate people.

Yeah, manipulate. Some may refer to it as empathy. Its a normal human reaction.

About 5,000 Americans die every day on NORMAL DAYS. But we almost never hear about that.

Well, yes we do. We are bombarded with statistics. Heart disease, cancer, car accidents, murder, old age, etc. etc. etc. Do you ever read?

The problem is we are supposed to constantly evaluate the world from a distorted perspective because we are not supplied with enough information to be objective.

Actually, I think you may be the one oeprating from the information deficit.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by hooper
reply to post by psikeyhackr

About 5,000 Americans die every day on NORMAL DAYS. But we almost never hear about that.

Well, yes we do. We are bombarded with statistics. Heart disease, cancer, car accidents, murder, old age, etc. etc. etc. Do you ever read?

Yes we are Bombarded with statistics. They turn into noise.

You will have to deliberately search to find the total deaths per day.

You can come up with trains as a significant factor auto deaths.

Nationally, there were 2,929 reported collisions at grade crossings in 2003, resulting in 329 fatalities and 1002 injuries.

www.techtransfer.berkeley.edu...

329 is less than 1% of 40,000. What do you ever do besides come up with rhetorical crap to help create the distorted paradigm? It was 42,643 in 2003.

en.wikipedia.org...

psik
edit on 18-8-2011 by psikeyhackr because: add link

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by psikeyhackr
So how does lighter and weaker destroy heavier and stronger?

psik

Velocity.

You know it's that part of the equation that gets squared.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by waypastvne

So how does lighter and weaker destroy heavier and stronger?

psik

Velocity. You know it's that part of the equation that gets squared.

I previously described a thought experiment of the north tower which could be coded into a computer simulation.

Remove 5 complete levels below the top 15. That would leave 90 intact stories below the missing 5. So 15 stories falling 60 feet would would take just under 2 seconds and attain 44 mph. From that point on it would be mass impacting mass.

The velocity is squared in computing the kinetic energy not the momentum. The momentum would be conserved. Kinetic energy would be lost in bending steel and crushing concrete and that would reduce velocity. I have already modeled it.

So where is the engineering school that has built a model that can collapse completely?

So what have you got besides simplistic answers where you don't even specify what phenomenon is being affected by the squared velocity?

psik
edit on 19-8-2011 by psikeyhackr because: punct err

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

bending steel

There is your problem.

The failure was from shear.

Not bending.

Not compression.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by waypastvne

bending steel

There is your problem.

The failure was from shear.

Not bending.

Not compression.

Why don't you try reading and keeping your brain in gear?

I never said bending steel caused that failure. I was saying that bending steel would absorb energy in the collapse process thereby absorbing kinetic energy from the falling mass. Or are you saying I am wrong about that?

psik

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join