It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S&P upgrades Florida's credit rating

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

S&P upgrades Florida's credit rating

www.wokv.com

Tax reductions and state budget cuts were the keys to Governor Rick Scott convincing S&P to upgrate Florida's credit rating.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
While Washington continues to bicker and strawman why the US lost its AAA credit rating, here is concrete proof that if you make some real cuts and decrease the size of government S&P will back you.

Governor Scott is by no means a perfect governor (he still deals in cronyism), but here he has given something of a blueprint to get us out of this mess.

www.wokv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
All the hate for Rick Scott
is going to bite them in the ass
because from my view
it looks like he is DOING A PRETTY
DAMN GOOD JOB!!

GOOOOO SCOTT!!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Let me start this off by asking if you actually live and work in Florida...

Now that I've asked that...

Rick Scott is an absolute TRAVESTY!

If it were not for Republicans voting blindly based on party affiliation there is no way that schill would be governor of Florida. My wife, who is a lifelong Republican (prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office in Tampa), myself, and almost all of her conservative coworkers voted against Scott. Alex Sink might be a Democrat, but the woman would have been far better for the state. The fact is he only 'won' the governorship by about 1% or so...

2010 Florida Gubernatorial Results

Mind you, he spent $75 million of his own money to inundate the airwaves with his corporate buttkissing nonsense.

And let's not forget all the wonderful things that Rick Scott has done since he's been in office...

Rick Scott kills FL Light Rail Funding

Noooo, we didn't need a fast, effecient, ecologically friendly high-speed rail along the I-4 corridor to relieve some traffic, that just wouldn't do for Big Oil, they NEED our money!!!

Or how about Mr. Scott's use of Florida's taxpayer funded healthcare benefits package, which runs $400 A YEAR for him and his wife...

Rick Scott's Healthcare Benefits

And I could go on and on. Research "Skeletor" (our nickname for him). He is a fraud, a liar, and a corporate pawn.

The fact of the matter is, he is destroying the pensions of Florida's public service sector, he is trying to destroy our waters by opening up Florida for offshore drilling and selling our wildlife conservation areas to private investors to "lure" more business.

He is a cancer to Florida, and I would not be suprised in the least if he is recalled before 2013.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

I live and work in Florida. As a matter of fact, I work for the State Government in Florida.

Rick Scott is not perfect, but his fiscal plan is working! He is standing firm on his campaign promises, and he is doing exactly what he said he would do while campaigning. I sure can't fault a guy for following through on campaign promises.

Like it or not, there is a ton of waste in State Government. We just withstood one round of cuts, and we could really use about 3x that amount!

Sure, I haven't had a raise in over 7 years. Sure, I now have to pay more for Healthcare, and more for Retirement, which equates to paycuts two years in a row, but I still see so much waste that it is unbelieveable!

Rick Scott is doing a fine job, and he deserves the credit for this S&P rating.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I understand that as a state, we need cuts. I endorse most of them, if done in good faith and responsibility.
It's that I do not, CANNOT, trust a man as corrupt as I believe Rick Scott to be. Before the Republican runoff with McCollum I did research on Mr. Scott and did not like any of what I found out.

Politically I'm libertarian'ish... (is that even a word), but I know Florida can do better than Rick Scott. I'm certain of it.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

I also do not particularly like Rick Scott, but I liked Alex Sink even less, and I despised Crist after his flip-flop of agendas and views. I hate pandering politicians. Rick Scott is not a panderer. He might be guilty of cronyism, and putting his name on all of our signs makes me think he wants to run for president in 2016, so I don't like his motives.

But, so far, I can't argue with his results. One can be a bad guy, and still be effective.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

By any change have you received one of his robo phonecalls yet?

I have, and my home phone is on the 'do not call' list. It's usually my "bad news" phone, so when I picked it up and heard "Hello, this is Governor Rick Scott...", I was actually filled with a small sense of relief, then outright anger that he had the nerve to do something like that.

Really. Freaking. Annoying.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

HaHa! I don't have a home phone, so no robocalls.

I do get a weekly address to state employees though. He is very good at taking credit for anything remotely positive in the state. He seems to have an enormous ego, but he is easy to talk to, and he does seem to actively listen and give proper respect and attention to people in his presence.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Dreine

I also do not particularly like Rick Scott, but I liked Alex Sink even less, and I despised Crist after his flip-flop of agendas and views. I hate pandering politicians. Rick Scott is not a panderer. He might be guilty of cronyism, and putting his name on all of our signs makes me think he wants to run for president in 2016, so I don't like his motives.

But, so far, I can't argue with his results. One can be a bad guy, and still be effective.

Alex SINK was owned by BANK OF AMERICA!!!!!
She allowed her employees to predatory lend!

Also Alex Sink allowed old people to be had for cash!!!
Buy into things they did not need..

People hate Rick Scott because he is a safe made billionaire and can not be bought!!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

I do live in Florida, and as I said Rick Scott deals in cronyism to the highest order. However, he has made legitimate cuts to state spending and we're the better for it.

The light rail would've been a massive government boondoggle that would've been a money loser from the word go.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I don't know. The method he employed to increase his wife's income was pretty creepy.

Nanny state, meet self-interested creep.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
So the credit rating in Florida went up, where are the jobs. I hear you guys talking about what good he has done, but thats really the first thing I hear. I still have yet to see the jobs. He killed one of the bigger job creators already, I was really looking forward to that light rail system.

The Supreme Court just overruled him for overstepping his executive authority and enforcing unconstitutional policies.

Why is it that a some people's idea of "business friendly" means killing of the Florida ecosystem, making it harder for the citizens to protest questionable development, and laying off public workers? I just dont quite understand. It is ok for multinationals and conglomerates to interfere and impede a citizens life, but not ok for the State to try and preserve the citizens quality of life and be sure their communities arre not being exploited by big business? It never makes sense to me the twisted double standard people have.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

Well we have a balanced budget, and I never respect the job numbers reported one way or another.

I can tell you there are PLENTY of available jobs here in Tallahassee. Every where I go, there are help wanted signs. I'm sure other parts of the state might be different.

The last numbers I saw reported said 14,000 jobs created (I think), but once again, I don't really buy those numbers, I just look at what is observable to me.

Also, our State Pension Fund is about 97% funded, even after Alex Sink gambled a bunch of it away in the stock market crashes.

The Credit Rating Increase seems perfectly appropriate to me.

top topics

join