It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2,000-year-old Iron Age wooden road found in Norfolk wetlands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Discoveries like this absolutely fascinate me especially when you consider how well preserved the wood is after being shrouded in peat for thousands of years.

A remarkably preserved Iron Age road dating back to 75BC has been discovered in East Anglia.

Archaeologists found a 13ft-wide timber structure complete with stabilising posts running for 1,600ft (500m) across wetland near the River Waveney at Geldeston.

The wood is in such good condition that it almost looks modern, according to experts, who believe that the structure could be the work of the Iceni tribe.

It could predate the Roman invasion by 100 years.

A more thorough test will be carried out, but if it does originate from 75BC, then the structure pre-dates the Roman invasion by 100 years.

The Iceni ruled over most of the area now known as Norfolk between 100BC to around 100 AD, when, despite their best efforts, they were defeated by the invading legions.

Their road would not only have facilitated movement around the area’s soggy land, but would have been used to mark territory and demonstrate their power, as it would have looked very impressive to anyone passing through the area.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 17-8-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Interesting, I enjoy these kind of things.
I would give my left arm and one of my reproductive organs if they would just build a time machine and give me a year to play with it.

Im really fascinated by the detail in things.
People always ask me why I care so much about how clothes were made, or how things were constructed or tediously fashioned. I don't really know what to tell them other than I think it is cool to see how people used to do things.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

I perfectly understand what you're saying and why. You would probably get a kick out of this museum in Kansas City www.1856.com... It's by no means as old as these ancient discoveries but it opens a window back in time to a critical point in American history and it was all preserved in the mud of the Missouri River. It's a cool story of discovery and lots of mud.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I remember a few years ago, I went to Somerset County Museum in Taunton, and one very interesting thing there was a long stretch of wicker-woven trackway, around 2500-3000 years old, used by our ancient ancestors to cross the levels (then marshland). The ingenuity of our distant ancestors is often underrated, and I think it is very insulting to them when people keep on crediting all the ancient wonders to ancient astronauts, and all that bunk.
edit on 17/8/11 by NocturnalPhantom because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join