It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats with all the cop bashing? Its pathetic....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Seriously, why do people feel the need to attack cops at every oppurtubnity they get? Most of the threads are completely ludicrous accusations, in situations where the circumstances are not fully known or understood.

Now dont get me wrong, I understand that there are bad cops....its obvious. Some do take their power for granted, and use it excessively, and in many cases, their actions are unwarranted. These cops should be exposed, and in my opinion, taken out of the police force altogether, particularly when it involves someone being harmed. However, the vast majority of police officers out there, are actually doing some good things for the public. They are every day people with families, friends, kids.....yet when it comes to it, people treat them like absolute garbage, side with criminals, and in some cases, even laugh or express pleasure when they see a cop injured or killed. Disgraceful.....

Its funny how so many are quick to criticise, but if they were in certain situations, Im sure they would be crying out for help from police officers. Now I know all of you will deny this and say you can handle those situations yourself, but I seriously doubt this. How many of you out there have actually stopped a bank robbery, or saved the life of a civilian in a hostage situation? How many of you are willing to put yourself in harms way to deal with situations such as the North Hollywood Bank Robbery? I bet the number is almost non-existant. These men and women are trained to be in situations like this, and put others before themselves. Very few of you know how difficult it is to be in a situation where you have to make a decision almost immediately, yet it seems that nobody knows, or cares about those points....deny ignorance indeed.

I just want to reinforce that I think the cops that do stuff wrong, or think they are above everyone because they have a nice shiny badge, should be brought to attention. But stop putting all your eggs in one basket.....there are great cops out there that do the job they are supposed to do, they are not all a-holes.

PS- I bet there are many of you that hold personal grudges due to stuff you have done in the past, and I bet very few of you have the balls to admit that you did the wrong thing in the past, and the police officer you had a confrontation with was just doing his/her job.

+27 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I totally agree..

all these Cops bashing people is pathetic.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

true dat brother!

s+f

i'm sick of it too. it's shameful.

edit on 17-8-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling
I totally agree..

As I mentioned, and you neglected to take into account...

I believe cops that do the wrong thing should be bought to the publics attention

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

I totally agree..

I believe cops that do the wrong thing should be bought to the publics attention

I thought being an Aussie you would have appreciated the humour usually missed by a yank.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

It is my opinion that most people are keyboard warriors with no experience dealing with police.
If they have then they were more than likely acting like jerks.
Having been arrested a few times,I have never been beat up or had anything happen to me like some people would AUTOMATICALLY assume.

They are human beings as well so you treat them as such....simple.

The amount of cop hater threads REALLY annoy me.
Sometimes I might not like cops....but i always respect them and show them that.
Maybe thats the reason I have never been beat up.....nah that would be too simple right??
edit on 17-8-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

I thought being an Aussie you would have appreciated the humour usually missed by a yank.

My apologies

Sometimes its hard to pick up sarcasm from real statements

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
My theory is that cops are the most visible authority figures and most visible arm of the government. Thus, people who are unhappy with the government have an easy target. Also, being the most visible, the corruption or bad apples amongst them are also the most visible. So, that's what happens as people become more and more disgruntled.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I agree, I have my own reasons for that being that I was raised by a cop; But like you said, not all of them are good. There are a lot of buttholes out there that abuse their power and their badge, and a LOT of them who actually respect their job, and try to make our neighborhoods a safer place to be with genuine intent. How come we don't see the posts about every time someone ran into a Law Enforcement Officer and wasn't beat or treated poorly?
Star and Flag for you O
edit on 8/17/2011 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
My theory is that cops are the most visible authority figures and most visible arm of the government. Thus, people who are unhappy with the government have an easy target. Also, being the most visible, the corruption or bad apples amongst them are also the most visible. So, that's what happens as people become more and more disgruntled.

Thats a really good point

Its important to remember that many of them are just guys and girls doing their job.

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Funny you say it is pathetic, I guess you have never had a kicking or been beating up from Cops. Others might call it justice since cops get away with a hell of alot nowadays or cover up their actions.

You do have a choice however, if you do not like so called cop bashing threads. Then dont read them.
Simple move on get over it.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

I never had to get beat up or kicked by cops....I show them respect and don't act like an idiot.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

same here, had many dealings with them too.

i'm pushing 60.

they say "drop the weapon!" you drop the weapon!

they say, "stop or i'll shoot!" you stop!

they say, "let the girl go!" you let the girl go!

what is so hard about that?

+19 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I must respectfully disagree.

The so called “Cop Bashing” is a direct result from the actions of the Police themselves.

You Reap What You Sow.

Lets take your argument of the one “bad cop” negative reflection on all of the “good cops” scenario.

This is incorrect as well.

If a police force has a “bad cop” and the other “good cops” do NOT enforce the law, this in it self makes them ALL “bad cops”. Put it another way if the so called “good cops” DID THEIR JOBS we would NOT have “bad cops”. As soon as the “bad cop” revealed who he was it would be off to jail. There would NOT be “bad cops”, gone as quickly as they appear.

Do You See this in Your Local Police Department?

I sure don’t nor do the majority of people.

This is what we see in our Police Departments. It is the “code of silence” , the “blue line” call it what you will the Police are using their badge as a shield.

Until they “Clean up” their own house the public’s opinion will be they are ALL “bad cops”, because they are.

This was not always the case in America, at one time the Police were viewed as Heroes of the neighborhood. What changed ? Did the people of the neighborhood or did the change occur when the Police forgot that they too are citizens and began enforcing the Police State.

You cannot have a Police State without Police.

Don’t fool your self we do live in a Police State today.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

And what do you want a gold star? (And respect is earned not given).

There are good cops and there are bad cops you cannot Deny it. SImples.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

Gold is a great investment right now so...yes i want a gold star.

When a cop rolls up on the scene he is in charge....people forget that.
If your attitude is its earned not given then I can see why you might not do well with them.

In my city there is an article out in our local paper about the cops here acting like thugs...so no i won't deny that bad ones are out there.
I have had many dealings with them in this city and never had a problem.

Another thing i would like to point out is that alot of the general public are morons and they have to deal with that on a regular basis.
Are we getting more morons in society who feel self-entitled to not listen to the police or are we getting more bad cops??
Can anyone answer that for me??

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

I totally agree..

The thing is, the good cops should also be working to make this happen. if these proposed good cops exist. But they rarely do. The police are given massive trust in a community, which is routinley disrespected and abused. And it's more than just a few bad apples. The abuse of their "power" is just phenominal, the ammount of young black kids in London who are illegally searched for no reason, is staggering, andd that's just 1 example. The police have completly lost the support of those who they are supposed to be protecting, becasue they are no longer there to protect us. They are there to rasie revenue for the government and big business and to make as much of the public criminal as they possibly can. They have figures to keep up with, which in the line of police work, which is about fighting crime, is so ludicrous and anti law, it's silly.

I've seen so much abuse from the police on ordinary citizens, that I can never trust a cop again. They make me feel uncomfortable in their presence, which is precisly the opposite of what I am sopposed to feel. I am not a criminal, I do not steal or get violent. Yet I am made to feel guilty just from a cop being near me, as they are unpredicable, like a phsycopath, you never know when they're going to kick off.
that trust is lost, and will probably never be regained. The police represent oppression, and that should be opposed heavily.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
This is actually a really complex issue at it's core.
All the following statements are not applicable everywhere. I am only familiar with the Police in the U.S. and even then: state to state and city to city tend to be different. Also, a lot of it is very generalized-in part because I am really tired right now.

Many police departments recruit people fresh out of combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. I recently saw a poster that had the bi-line: "You fought a war a broad. Now fight the war at home."

This illustrates that many of the new generation getting into law enforcement have a battle mentality. Not a "Protect and serve" The mentality in a lot of departments that seems to approve using a taser on someone because they were "Disrespectful" is something akin to an atrocity. The Police are meant to be peace keepers and mediators. To bring charges against the worst to take them out of the way of harming people. Now the internet is rife with videos of police abusing their power to get away with crimes, blatant brutality. In many cases it is true there are thugs in uniform.

The police are also the face and fist of politics in more ways than the army is. The Armed Forces are the fist used against enemies. The police have become the source of domestic violence on a societal level-in many ways it could be seen as encouraged.

In the U.S. one of the most powerful lobby groups is the prison lobby. They funnel millions into campaigns of politicians who claim to be tough on crime. People who are afraid of crime vote them in, always vote them in. This stacks the public policy sector with people in the pockets of those who make money taking peoples lives away and putting them behind bars-there is a reason so many Americans are in prison and it is not because there is more violence.

Combine the idea that the law is infallible as instilled by decades of police dramas-the idea that the Police are all duty and will never lie or do wrong-combine that with the CSI effect where people believe that the Police have super science and will find people no matter what the crime in a matter of days-and the thought they will always get the right man....

This mess has made it so the majority doubt the innocence of anyone arrested and doubt the words of anyone who claims to have been victemized. People who try to defend themselves from attacks of brutality get beaten down more and then charged with so many crimes that in some states-could amount to a life sentence.

It makes it bleak. With otehr factors like the economic issues-all people see is the face. The uniform walking the streets and the badge quickly becomes the focus of all that angst. Then it gets really bad.

I am rambling, but last point of note: In such a profession where absolute trust is needed. Where people need to feel safe with police. They need to feel that the judge is truely neutral and that the prosecutor is really interested in justice and not stacking his convictions to prove he is a real red blooded crime fighter....

It takes one situation to be remembered. Everyone knows the name of Rodney King but not many know that he was on drugs and actually violent (not that it justifies, but it does explain the situation-it wasnt just a bunch of white cops beating a black victem for fun as was portrayed.)..

It takes one event to shake trust. It takes hundreds to rebuild it.

With youtube that one bad cop is always making it worse for the test making the good cops find other jobs and leaving openings for returned soldiers who may be looking for more ways to beat or kill people.

At the least: They are engineering a war on the streets by a whole lot of good intentions gone wrong.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I use to have a very bad attitude towards police & detectives. Then I grew up.

I was a survivor of a violent crime and it took detectives four years to find the perp. My case was the first one solved in Indiana using computerized fingerprint recognition. It turned out this person did know me through mutual friends and I felt resentful detectives didn't do a good enough job on the investigation.

As the years passed, I'm now grateful the maniac was caught no matter how the methods. The police did their jobs. Had CSI not been so delligent, they wouldn't have recovered the one fingerprint they did that led to the capture. Did I expect them to be psychic? Interview every single aquantiance of mine? I did however only have one enemy but crimes such as what happened to me are rarely via someone who knows the victim/survivor.

They also pled down 8 felonies and where I should have taken that anger where it belonged, to the prosecutor, again it too was lumped on the police.

I was simply displacing all that rightful anger for the perp to the police which I believe is what a lot of the cop bashing comes down to - either not accepting responsiblity for ones own actions, the communities, or like myself - displaced anger.

edit on 8/17/2011 by Whisper67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
It's because the entire idea of law enforcement needs to be revised. With the gift of greater power comes greater responsibility, cops should be held to a higher accountability.

Something just happened to a cousin this weekend that reinterates this to me. Lucky for these cops these are only cousins through my wife....if it was my personal family I would have them coming home to a mess.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join