It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4D Maze Game: Mind=Blown!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Forget popsci "Imagining the 10th dimension" youtube videos.. This is a game which lets you navigate truly topologically correct fourdimensional maze!

4D Maze Game

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5ef0b5e81e9e.gif[/atsimg]
(the game has a stereoscopy mode - thats why there are 2 images)

In addition to three dimensions and six familiar directions from our 3D (4D with time) universe - up/down, left/right and forward/backward, you have 2 additional spatial directions in the 4D (5D with time) universe - in this game called (a bit illogicaly IMHO) inward/outward. So the game world has 4 spatial and one temoral dimension.

As a three-dimensional person, you see the world by having it projected onto a two-dimensional retina, i.e., by receiving a two-dimensional set of colors. Similarly, a four-dimensional person would see the world by having it projected onto a three-dimensional retina.
Thus, it is possible to observe the four-dimensional maze world exactly as if you had one four-dimensional eye with threedimensional retina.

This three-dimenional retina containing 3D projection from a 4D world must further be projected into 2D computer monitor, so thats why the result looks rather messy on the first look.
Four-dimensional being would perceive whole 3D space projection from 4D at the same time, just like we are able to perceive whole 2D plane projection on our retina from 3D at the same time.

3D maze is made from connected 3D cubes enclosed by 2D sides.
4D maze is made from connected 4D cube analogues - tesseracts, enclosed by 3D cubes.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1887ac62fc97.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c07cfb3bb9c7.gif[/atsimg]

Since even 2D pictures are worth a thousand words, its best if you read authors well-written step by step guide to the game and 4D maze world, which compares all geometric phenomenons from 3D maze world like points, edges, sides and cubes to their higherdimensional 4D counterparts:
The Idea
In the Maze
Notes

DISCLAIMER: After a series of unexplained dissapearances in the 4th dimension, I dont reccomend anyone entering the hyperdimensional maze without extensive preparation from the above guide.
Enter at your own risk.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Played it for a few minutes and won. (couldn't tell you exactly how)

Hurts my eyes though so probably not gonna go any deeper into the game.

Its cool though.

edit on 17-8-2011 by Anoynymoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Good find s&f reminds me of that movie cube hurts the eyes after a while lol but nice find

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I do not get it..

Is it a 2d image being able to do that
or is it just CGI because my friend
call of duty does this much eye friendlier.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I cant get my eyes to focus properly at distance, but I found that if I let my nose touch the screen such that each cube is directly in front of each eye, and the screen is a mere 1-2 inches from my face, I can kind of get the effect to work properly albeit very fuzzy and out of focus.

Best not to try this at work or in public, you may look a bit foolish

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
the shape is called a tesseract, or hypercube. its a 4D cube. that really hurts the eyes. what kind of game requires you to keep your eyes crossed for extended periods of time? that can't be good for you. what happens if your eyes get stuck.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I also cant get the stereoscopic effect working just with my eyes, but its not necessary. Just ignore the other half of the image.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

my head :S

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

That works too! But with my method, however silly, you are still able to get the three dimensional stereoscopic effect.

I HAVE been able to do this in the past to view a hypercube in three dimensions on my 2d computer screen, but for some reason I can not get this game to display correctly stereoscopically. The 'nose-on-monitor' method really does give you a small taste of playing the game in true stereoscopic 3D.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
This isn't 4d
This is a 2 dimensional interpretation of the fourth dimension.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by rationalistswagger

Its a projection of 4D space to 3D space, which is then projected on a 2D computer monitor.

top topics

join