It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tobacco: Graphic federal warnings aren't fair

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

Originally posted by Amaterasu
But the fact is that TOBACCO does not cause cancer. In over 50 years of testing with pure, organically grown tobacco, not one study has returned a link between cancer and tobacco. Not ONE.

How many brands of cigarettes use said pure tobacco?

You mean ones without filter, chemical baths, and radioactive "fertilizer?" Statistically speaking, none.

And that, My dear, is My POINT. It's NOT the tobacco. It's what We're allowing Them to do to and with it. I think the far better solution is to ban any but organically grown tobacco for those "hooked," and other solutions for those who like filters.

Don't try to control the People. Solve the problem. We are DYING because We allow such evil to be applied to the plant, demonized to begin with to cover up radioactive poisoning of Our planet. The problem is NOT ingesting tobacco. So stop putting the energy in THAT (VERY difficult) direction and make the tobacco at least not adulterated with poisons.

The pariah plant is victim of many of the same issues tobacco has had. No conspiracy though, I'm sure.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

I won't bother preaching my views on cigarettes, other than I think they are disgusting. I am glad these warnings are being used. We had a similar thing happen in Canada many years ago and it helped me quit. Of course the corporations are going to whine about their profits, they have so much money anyways. Most people are so addicted the warnings won't work anyways

Here are the Canadian warnings for comparison...

Anyone know how to make the picture bigger?
edit on 17-8-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-8-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: spelling

edit on 17-8-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I say keep the labels. Tobacco products kill around 400,000 Americans annually, so either people are unaware of exactly how dangerous cigarretes can be in the long run, or they simply don't care (the more likely reason).

Still, I've never understood smoking cigarettes. You pay money to burn something and inhale it, and it only produces an effect if your tolerance is low. But every real smoker I've talked to say they don't get buzzed anymore when they smoke.

I'd rather save that money and spend it on a smokeable plant that does more than just produce smoke.

Keep the labels. I don't think some labels are enough though, there needs to be many more anti-smoking ads. I see the occasional commercial, but I have DVR so I just skip over them anyway like many other people.

There needs to be billboards, informative commercials that have accurate information, unbiased classes in school that give the cold hard facts, and so on. This needs to be paid for in full by the tobacco companies, a certain percentage of their profits should be spent on these things annually.

Better yet, why don't we make tobacco illegal, as well as alcohol? I mean two legal drugs kill 500,000 Americans every year, but every illegal drug combined kills only 16,000! The deaths of every single illegal drug combined only kills 3.2% of what alcohol and tobacco kill! Add to that legal painkillers which kills 32,000, and caffeine which kills 2,000-4,000 annually!

This website, using the stastics from 1998, has tobacco at 430,700 annual American deaths, 110,640 for alcohol, 32,000 for prescription drugs, 7,600 from aspirin, and various other sources list caffeine at 2,000 to 4,000 but we'll leave that one out.

So the legal drugs in this country add up to 580,940 deaths, as of 1998, and all illegal drugs add up to 16,926, just 2.9% of what the legal drugs kill.

THAT is seriously messed up.

The big bad plant that I can't mention hasn't killed a single person in history!

A big thing that I forgot to mention is that the tobacco products that are killing people are the ones doused in deadly chemicals. If just straight tobacco was being sold, then the annual death count would be tiny in comparison to what it is now.
edit on 17-8-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

They are fair but they are tasteless and unnecessary. Why stop here? Why not make BigMacs be wrapped in pictures of diseased hearts and cancerous colons? Why not have beer plastered with pictures of failing livers? Why not have all prosti-tot clothing be covered in pictures of teen mothers?

I quit smoking three years ago and it was the hardest thing I've ever done (don't even want to hear a retort with a story of how easy it was for them). I quite in spite of all the anti-smoking legislation. As a non-smoker, I fully support the right for bars and restaurants to allow smoking because if I don't want to smell it, I'll just not go there.

If I still smoked, these pictures would make me smoke TWICE as much just because they piss me off.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by Amaterasu

Did You know that in tests They found that rodents removed from "smoking" developed cancer significantly MORE than those left smoking? In fact... It would seem that quitting is probably bad advice...

Is that what they call 'Successfully shifting you from one industry to another'?

Huh? Which industry and which? Please elaborate.

Either way, you still have that leash attached.

And what's that to You? Really. Why do YOU care? If You have provided what You feel is valid information and I continue to smoke, why not shrug and let the issue go?

From the Tobacco industry to the Pharmaceutical industry.

Care, I do care about you, and will try and word things as best as I can to help people understand they are just a consumer, and thought of that way too, entirely expendable, and to wake you up.

The next step lies with you.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jomina

Originally posted by Kitilani

The people the keep comparing it to car exhaust and crappy food really need to tell me what positive things come from cigarette smoking that would put those even remotely on the same level.

The calming few minutes it takes me to smoke a cigarette gives time for me to cool down to keep from killing all the people around that want to run my life for me. How's that one for a good example?

so what you are saying is that addiction is useful because once addicted yuo can become calm by feeding your addiction?

I foresee a brilliant career for you doing PR for the drug cartels!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

You mean ones without filter, chemical baths, and radioactive "fertilizer?" Statistically speaking, none.

Then your point is moot. If all milk in the world were purposely contaminated with poisons, claiming it is not the milks fault will do what good if there is no good milk to even choose from?

And that, My dear, is My POINT. It's NOT the tobacco. It's what We're allowing Them to do to and with it. I think the far better solution is to ban any but organically grown tobacco for those "hooked," and other solutions for those who like filters.

It is the tobacco because the tobacco being used is the problem.

Don't try to control the People. Solve the problem. We are DYING because We allow such evil to be applied to the plant, demonized to begin with to cover up radioactive poisoning of Our planet. The problem is NOT ingesting tobacco. So stop putting the energy in THAT (VERY difficult) direction and make the tobacco at least not adulterated with poisons.

Seriously, are you ok? You just admitted there is no pure tobacco out there. Are you suggesting I start making all natural cigarettes or are you telling me what you plan to do?

The pariah plant is victim of many of the same issues tobacco has had. No conspiracy though, I'm sure.

Until there is tobacco out there that fits the bill, your point is moot. You get that though I am sure.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by maskfan
Don't be ridiculous. Children know just as well as adults do about the dangers of smoking. It's taught in schools in this country.

Also in the UK it is illegal for anyone under 18 to buy tobacco (not saying it doesn't happen, just that shops should enforce the law).

Really? Then those children know all about getting pregnant and doing drugs and drinking alcohol too, right? So what is with those pesky age restrictions?
Tell me when is the last time you went to a 13 year old for life advice? Have a 13 year old doctor? Accountant? Lawyer?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Kitilani

You are right, we should not defend these big businesses for their wrong doing in the name of making a big
profit. I have a realitive by marriage who just passed away with COPD.
He was 54..wow. He should have had another healthy 20 or so years if you look at the statistics. At the very
last he was totally bedridden and had several tubes of oxygen running down his throat. I am quitting I guess
you'd say but the nicotine is not about to let go so easily. As for will power, we all have will power to either do
something or to not do something. I have to decide to let it go, the habit in its entirity. I had to use an inhaler
several times but have not had any "breathing treatments" don't think. Anywho, it was an awful experience not
being able to breathe deeply. I may never recover most of my lung function. I am 60 years old and just recently
quit lighting up. I don't consider myself "out of danger" or "out of the wood either". I am just trying to "buy"
myself a little more time ( quality time ) if the good Lord sees fit for me to partake of it. Thanks for your time.
A person may be affected by the horrible images on packs of cigarettes at least unconsicously..but if you
really want it..I mean really want it nothing else matters. Of course don't forget, when you can't breathe nothing
else matters and it just seems like you've wasted your effort and money and quality time on getting
your daily dose of a mixture of poisions. Now this is true, believe it or not..least I found it so..after quitting for
several weeks and you smell someone elses smoke..it may not seem as pleasing as it did before. It may
actually stink !!!! It is rather obvious when you get close to a group of smokers outside that something about
the smell of tobacco smoke has changed. The experience sort of proves that old idea that the mind can play
tricks on you..making you think something that actually stinks to non smokers is alluring to you senses.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by njl51

Thank you. I honestly do not understand how people can defend the tobacco companies. They are making a killing and they did not exactly do it through honest business practices. People like to say things about how they are just selling a product and people can choose to buy or not but they seem to be forgetting the decades that tobacco companies spent lying about the effects of their products. If I sell poison and lie about it, get really rich doing it, I certainly expect no one to rush to my defense just because someone wants me to be honest about my product. I guess that is just me though.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I have seen worse on the internet.

This is a dumb idea. No one even looks at their cigarette packs.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea. They should put out new ones every month or so. You can collect them. Trade them with your friends. See who has the most awesome picture collection. Like Pokemon cards.

When you collect a few thousand, put them in an envelope and send them to your congressman. I'm sure he/she will enjoy looking at them, too.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
i reckon they should start putting warnings on all fat foot so all the fat people can shreek when they see all the effects of the fast food on their body has.

yanno...like "this cheeseburger causes diabetes" with a graphic pic of a persons leg being amputated.

or "this whopper causes heart disease" with a graphic pic of a fatty heart being examined at the morgue....

and so on

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

It's unfair to call commercial cigarettes 'tobacco' in my opinion. The tobacco in a cigarette is really just a medium for hundreds of addictive chemicals. Tobacco doesnt kill, commercial cigarette cancer sticks do.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ARealandTrueAmerican

you should see all the child sweat shops o/s -> it is appalling. Kids aged btween 5-12 working in sweat shops to produce the cigerettes... oh but that is just supply and demand...oh and it is how they put food on their table so leave em all alone and let em keep working... /sarcasm

appalling...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Really, if we're doing this we should legalize marijuana and make it come with a graphic warning.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
After reading this thread, I guess I wasn't aware so many people still smoke. I don't think I even know any smokers - unless they're closet smokers - not that I avoid them or anything. I guess it's a "grown-up" decision, just please don't blow your smoke at me. I appreciate the new labels because they "hurt" the cigarette manufacturers, not the smokers. I don't wish any harm to those doing a legal thing. But it is bad for you. Please quit if you can.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Throwback
Really, if we're doing this we should legalize marijuana and make it come with a graphic warning.

OK. I am with you so far.
What would those graphic warnings be about?
What horrible illnesses are caused by it?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
I have seen worse on the internet.

This is a dumb idea. No one even looks at their cigarette packs.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

They don't? How do they know what kind they are smoking? Correct me if I am wrong but smokers usually prefer a specific brand do they not? Or do you live in the world of "Clerks" where people just ask for packs of cigarettes without regard to brand? I have to ask because I damn sure make sure I have the right cigarettes and since I smoke Marb red 100s I actually have to because asking for them sucks.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
i reckon they should start putting warnings on all fat foot so all the fat people can shreek when they see all the effects of the fast food on their body has.

yanno...like "this cheeseburger causes diabetes" with a graphic pic of a persons leg being amputated.

or "this whopper causes heart disease" with a graphic pic of a fatty heart being examined at the morgue....

and so on

This has been addressed several times in this thread and no one has been able to give a quality response to the replies supplied thus far.

A cheeseburger actually benefits a person.
How does a cigarette?

Seriously. I get why so many of you have tried to make this point but the reality is that even less than healthy food has benefits where cigarettes have absolutely none.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join