It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aerobic life existed 300 million years earlier than thought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Aerobic life existed 300 million years earlier than thought

www.tgdaily.com

The 'Great Oxidation Event' (GOE), nearly 2.3 billion years ago, marks the point when oxygen started to make an impact on the atmosphere, stimulating the evolution of air-breathing organisms.

But new research from MIT suggests that oxygen may actually have been around hundreds of millions of years earlier, in 'oxygen oases' in the oceans. And the team says there's good evidence that tiny aerobic organisms may have evolved to survive on extremely low levels of the gas in these spots.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
It is amazing how easy it is for life to flourish in extreme environments. The idea that life was existing and oxygen based 300 million years earlier than once thought goes a long way to prove that life can exist on planets that we would normally dismiss, and that we will once again have to rewrite history.

I, for one, am excited every time I hear news like this.

Maybe some experts here on ATS can explain the last lines of the article stating that the general theory is that O2 built up in the oceans and seeped into the atmosphere. If these organisms were consuming the O2, as is now thought, what caused the atmosphere to gain so much O2?

www.tgdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Very cool!!

I believe life can live in any environment pretty much

We see so many things living in harsh conditions, conditions scientists said nothing could live in yet bacterias have been found in some crazy places. I think live adapts to the environment, so to me that makes life possible anywhere.

S&F!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Very cool!!

I believe life can live in any environment pretty much

We see so many things living in harsh conditions, conditions scientists said nothing could live in yet bacterias have been found in some crazy places. I think live adapts to the environment, so to me that makes life possible anywhere.

S&F!

I agree strongly with this. We are always so busy looking for life that only exists in the same way we do, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some alien world were creatures lived off poison, or maybe there are creatures in the vacuum of space living off of radiation.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
sensationalism pseudoscience is the correct word here

anytime you have scientists talking about millions or billions of years ago its not science

its hearsay educated guesses

yes an educated guess is still a guess

these type of articles do nothing but add more confusion to an already stringy theory

we still don't know how all this water came to be ... just google there probably explainations you will see what i mean

and now they have the audacity to tell me about when oxygen was present .. okay millions of years before there last guess of course...

don't worry another few years the answers change again but of coruse thats science right ? always self correcting

i wish they would keep there hearsay to them selfs and not grab headlines for extra funding in places they know is not science.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Personally, I tend to think that life can exist anywhere there is energy to be taken advantage of. Think in terms of Entropy. The purpose of life is to increase the entropy in the universe, converting useful energy, like chemical reactions, into less useful forms of energy such as heat. Anywhere there is stored energy, there can exist something to unlock that energy and potentially take advantage of it.

top topics

join