It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis has anyone had it?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
The reason i ask it here is because its usually accompanied by some sort of alien encounter...

I'm doing research into this and i would like to know what you experienced.

I have looked at this topic. If you want to do some research, you might be interested in this.

The experiences of alien abduction/visitation have been reported by many thousands of people. Let us remind ourselves that the experience goes back into history. It is only in the space-age that it has been associated with aliens. Ancient examples include the incubus and the Celtic fairy phenomenon.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f4bd79b7074d.jpg[/atsimg]

In modern times, while the historical aspects of the phenomena continue, a new dimension has manifested. This is the space age popular notion of the Alien Abduction. The Hills Abduction (1961) is probably the most famous and first well known example.

Five of the most solid cases are discussed in this thread by JKrog. JKrog draws the conclusion from studying these cases that the following conclusion.

In conclusion,obviously we can see the stunning similarities here stretched out not only by space(accounts all over the world),but by time as well.All the creatures look the same,the modus operandi is the same,I think these can also be presented as a clincher for proof of aliens existence.I am more than willing to hear any and all debate on any one of these cases,as well as invite opinions from the members who believe in this ongoing phenomena. www.abovetopsecret.com...

The 'alien abduction' phenomenon has, given us remarkably little by way of physical evidence. One of the few examples is an alien hair that was left on the penis of Australian, Peter Khoury after a visitation experience. This hair was subjected to DNA analysis and showed that the DNA was a extremely rare human Asian type which is further from the human mainstream that all but the African pygmy family. Bill Chalkers article on this case can be found here. He has also written a book on the case.

As Chalker discusses below, we had more of this type of evidence to work with. As a trained scientist with a working knowledge of molecular genetics, I can only concur. I would love the opportunity to review more of this type of research. It is high time mainstream UFOlogy and alien research became a more credible discipline.

I certainly would be more comfortable if dozens of samples like that from Khoury’s experience existed and if their testing revealed some consistency of results. But for now we have only this anomalous sample, which has provided us with a strange DNA profile. Meanwhile, our findings will continue to be subjected to review and debate. While the Khoury case confirms the utility of the DNA forensic approach, the real challenge ahead for researchers is to determine if these anomalies are both valid and significant. To do this, abduction researchers should cooperate in a testing program focused on DNA profiling. Testing of a significant number of legitimate samples would allow us to validate or invalidate the apparent anomalies so far documented. Such a strategy could help us determine whether the aliens are a biological reality and if indeed any of them are visiting our planet and abducting humans.
Chalker, Bill (1995). Hair of the Alien: The DNA Paradigm.

As is well known, the experience is associated with sleep paralysis. This has been taken by many sceptical researchers and pschologists to dismiss the phenomenon as a physiological or spiritual experience.. Skyfloating wrote an interesting peice in the OP to this interesting thread and draws the conclusion that it is all astral in origin.

Originally posted by Skyfloating
So why do I think that the "Grays" are not actually ETs but astral-beings? Because:

* Almost all Abduction accounts take place in the bedroom in states of sleep, half-sleep, half-waking, etc. The only way the astral-world is accesible is in a state between waking and sleeping.

* Some Abductees talk of sleep-paralysis, which is a telltale-sign of an astral-experience.

* The only physical evidence that ever shows up is related to the physical body (scars, wounds, rashes). The astral-level, in conjunction with the mind is able to create such phenomena (if the mind is convinced of its reality) but unlikely to have any stronger influence on the physical realm.

* The actions performed are not immediately recognizable as those we might associate benevolence or a species that is ethically highly advanced with. Holding people against their will is more typical of astral-entities.

There is a more important reason I think alien-abductions may not be alien-abductions but astral-phenomenon: Because I experienced abductions myself, as a child. And I also experienced astral-projection. And sleep-paralysis. And they all tied in with each other. And the experiences were very real, even horrifying, but they did not seem to take place in the same reality as waking-life. And I didn't seem able to bring back evidence of the experiences as they all happened at night.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

But could JKrog be right that there is a real group of creatures responsible?

My new suggestion on the alien abduction/visitation phenomenon is as follows. What if the modern manifestation is due to an exploitation of the physiological mechanism of sleep paralysis. This could be by either an extra-dimensional race (which ties in nicely with both JKrog's and Skyfloating's respective ideas above) or Extraterrestrial race or even a mixture of the both.

If the phenomena is partly physical, evidenced by the hair mentioned above, marks on the body mentioned by Skyfloating and even the reports of possible implants then it must be possible to induce sleep paralysis by an astral (extra-dimensional) or technological means. This would also mean that covert MILABS operations may have exploited the same techniques in the MILABS abductions mentioned in this thread started by decoy.

[url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread651392/pg1]Alien Abduction/Visitation: Induction of Sleep Paralysis

edit on 17/8/11 by Pimander because: typo

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
It is unclear why sleep paralysis occurs and the many conclusions can only be regarded as THEORIES.

There are three types of sleep paralysis .
1: Predormital ( HYPNOGOGIC ) , is the paralysis experienced before drifting off to sleep .
2: REM Atonia . This is the paralysis experienced during deep sleep .
3: Postdormital ( HYPNOPOMPIC ) , is the paralysis experienced after deep sleep .

It is unusual for the paralysis in 1 & 3 to last longer than a couple of minutes .
Now take into account that Postdormital paralysis occurs upon the onset of leaving the REM state and that one is in a transition between deep sleep and full consiousness , then it is highly likely that in some cases , hallucinations and states of panic can occur . The hallucinations usually take the form of , somebody being present in the room, a sensation of dread but without actually knowing why , and lastly , everybody's favourite, alien abductions.

Just because a number of people have SIMILAR experiences during these states , cannot justify the conclusion that what these people are experiencing, must be real .

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

OMG!! I can't believe what I am reading on here! Me and my wife have had this experience, only in the last couple years though, never new about it or thought it happened to me before that, maybe it did, IDK.
What basically happens is that I get awoken by something, i try to open my eyes, but I can't, only slightly, vision is nothing but blurred darkness it seems. I cannot move a muscle anywhere. I HEAR some kind of, I'm getting chills and goosebumps writing this, raspy demon like breathing? It's almost kinda like the exorcist movie sounds of the demon in the girl breathing and stuff. I told my wife about it almost a year ago, and she almost turned white when I told her! She said - " Me too, That same thing happened to me!" We both kinda got scared for a bit, but it passed. I dont think about it anymore, but this thread made me remember, and I just have to say, it's scary as hell, nothing you can do, over quickly - within a minute it seemed - and, is it Demon, Alien, or Govt???? IDK and will probably never know. I hope this helps you in your research!!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by VraxUK

Your experience sounds more like souls passing thru your body after death, maybe? You think your dreaming, but in reality your replaying a persons last images they saw before death because their soul is trying to stay in a body, but your body will not let it, because it is already occupied, and you awake feeling like it was real as hell. right? It was. Too bad you could not have done some kind of internet search the following days after this incident to see if you could find anything about cops shooting a perp in the head, might have been the proof you need. This is just a theory, yours just doesn't seem to fall inline with the other SP cases. Maybe cause it wasn't, could be the answer?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by weknowall

What does your logic tell you about your firghtening experience ?
A: You and your wife ( at different times ) were subjected to this ordeal , intentionally by somebody?
B: You both experienced SIMILAR postdormital sleep paralysis ?

I would really like to hear your thoughts on what you experienced and what you think was the cause .

edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I get sleep paralysis quite frequently, about once or twice a week. Have done all my life. Don't have any hallucinations or anything with it though. I can overcome it with a force of willpower, but usually I just allow myself to fall back to sleep, then I come round normally.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NocturnalPhantom

Star.
Thanks for adding a little common sense to this discussion .
I bet you were a little terrified , the first time it happened ?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

This happens to me whenever I work a very physically demanding long day, ie 12 hours hard labor and have a too much caffeine late in the day... I "wake up" mid-sleep unable to move, scared, "paralyzed", trouble breathing, difficulty opening eyes.... really weird panic feeling... no aliens or UFO's though.

Solution... no coffee after 3 PM.

Sri Oracle

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
1. How old was you when it first happened / which area was you located?

about 16-17 and living in england

2. How long has it been going on/does it still happen?

still happens now and i am 33

3. What you saw (if anything)

saw nothing as i cant open my eyes.

4. What happened?

i wake to find i cant move and can sense something in the room with me then suddenly i open my eyes and its over

5. How long did it last?

seems like forever

6. Were you able to do anything to stop it?

nope it stops on its own

7. Are you a religious person? (elaborate)

christian

8. Were you contacted by something, if so what did it/they say?

nope but i can hear everything thats happening around me and never hear any voices

9. Did the experience feel positive / negative

negative.

10. Were you left with any after effects? (Feeling sick or different in yourself)

no after effects i just go back to sleep

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

I don't remember the first time it happened. Usually it is just a bit of a nuisance, especially if I'm led in an uncomfortable position, but 30 seconds of intense concentration and I can usually move into a more comfortable one and go back to sleep. If it's something urgent like the dog barking or the doorbell ringing, I can just get straight up.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

What is interesting is when it happens while you're conscious. It gives you a little peak into some debug states of the brain. And if I were an alien abducting a potentially violent human, it would be a real USEFUL hardware API call to know about

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by asciikewl
reply to post by tpg65

What is interesting is when it happens while you're conscious. It gives you a little peak into some debug states of the brain. And if I were an alien abducting a potentially violent human, it would be a real USEFUL hardware API call to know about

Yes , but since there is no concrete proof that aliens exist , there is no cause for alarm .

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

For me it has always been a normal regular part of life. I don't think it has anything to do with aliens or spirits. Aliens and spirits may exist, or they may not, but I don't think they're involved in sleep paralysis. I think it's just a mechanism to stop us acting out our dreams when we sleep. Otherwise all our streets would look like the set of a George A. Romero movie every night!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by NocturnalPhantom
reply to post by tpg65

For me it has always been a normal regular part of life. I don't think it has anything to do with aliens or spirits. Aliens and spirits may exist, or they may not, but I don't think they're involved in sleep paralysis. I think it's just a mechanism to stop us acting out our dreams when we sleep. Otherwise all our streets would look like the set of a George A. Romero movie every night!

Spot on again .
you got it in a nutshell , my friend .

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

You're welcome, Sir. I'm open to all and any possibilities, but I require a certain threshold of evidence before I commit to a belief in anything. I just don't see the need to bring the paranormal into something normal.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Happened me twice, but the second time I knew what it was so wasn't as bad.

second time it happened was around 3 years later
3. What you saw (if anything).
Something at the end of the bed, like a silhouette of a man
4. What happened?
Felt like the person was at the end of the bed, I couldn't move or talk
5. How long did it last?
Probably about 30 seconds, felt longer
No
Agnostic
No
9. Did the experience feel positive / negative.
Negative
10. Were you left with any after effects? (Feeling sick or different in yourself)
No

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I know I'm a bit late to this thread but I remember my experience very well.

About 24 or so.(26 now) I was in my bedroom.

It has happened 3-5 times in my life but this last time was different.

3. What you saw (if anything).
There was a girl next to my bed. She looked similar to an ex girlfriend of mine. It was as if "it" purposely picked an appearance that I would find appealing/non threatening.

4. What happened?
Nothing physically happened

5. How long did it last?
It felt like about a min. or two.

Yes. After she spoke to me(see #8) I tried to respond but couldn't. My breathing was so shallow I didn't have enough air in my lungs to speak. I didn't panic but I naturally focused on making myself breath b/c I felt like I wasn't getting enough oxygen. Once my breathing got slightly labored I was able to to wiggle my upper body(shoulders) until I was finally able to sit up(about 10 seconds) Once I was up it was over and she was gone.

I grew up in church but never really subscribed to being a religious person. It was as if that was taking the easy way out. It's easy to be told what to believe. Figuring it out yourself is much harder and that's the path i chose. I do believe in a force much greater than we can believe but I don't know if it is conscious or not.

When I woke up and looked around a bit (eye movements only) I noticed a girl calmly standing by my bedside table. I don't know how I missed her standing there. Anyway, she was just looking at me and she said " you know I want you to come with me right?". She spoke as if we were already having a conversation. That was all she said.

9. Did the experience feel positive / negative?
Positive or negative aren't the words I would use to describe the experience... It felt familiar to me. I felt a sense of belonging where ever she wanted me to go. It was a calming almost serene feeling. It was an odd feeling; hard to describe. My words aren't doing that feeling justice.

Well I fell asleep early that night cause I was tired. (about 8 or so) It happened 12 or 1 am. I felt pretty rested after it happened. It might not matter but I feel should add a couple of events that happened after the fact. A few months later I had a very vivid dream of flying out of the atmosphere in a space ship. I was looking out at earth and then I turned around to look out into space( the direction I was going). Then i woke up. The inside of the ship look man-made. like the inside of our current space ships but simpler and slightly bigger. I couldn't tell how fast I was going as I was weightless the entire time.

I don't know what any of that means or if its just junk my brain made up. All I know is that these are the things I saw. I know how I saw them. A conscious dream state. You can explain how it all works and that's fine but you cannot explain the minds connection to the world around it. That's a vague statement b/c the conversation about the minds connection to the body and the world around it can go on forever.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
1. How old was you when it first happened / which area was you located? in early 20's

2. How long has it been going on/does it still happen? It only happened/happens during a "abduction"

3. What you saw (if anything). I am not paralyzed until I make eye contact with being, I could be out of bed and or sitting up when it occurs

4. What happened? Once eye contact is made, an intense buzzing occurs and I can no longer move (like a million bee's covering my body)

5. How long did it last? Seemingly only as long as it takes them to transport me to where ever they need me...and gain my cooperation

6. Were you able to do anything to stop it? No

7. Are you a religious person? (elaborate) These experiences changed my perspective and belief on religion.

8. Were you contacted by something, if so what did it/they say? Always said the same thing "relax"

9. Did the experience feel positive / negative. negative at the start, not negative after. Like my conscious self is terrified but my subconscious self is familiar and not afraid

10. Were you left with any after effects? (Feeling sick or different in yourself) left with a completely blase feeling for 8-12 hours post "experience" almost like I had taken a Valium or something. Once that wears off, a complete realization of what happened hits, and I am afraid.
edit on 17-8-2011 by Htrowklis82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Htrowklis82

I am 99.9% certain you made that up.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Malcher

I absolutely did not...
These are the answers to the questions asked. I could elaborate, because I have very vivid memories of my abductions during that period in my life.
Edited to say: I wish it was made up, I honestly do....life would be easier.

edit on 17-8-2011 by Htrowklis82 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join