It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis has anyone had it?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

The reason i ask it here is because its usually accompanied by some sort of alien encounter...

are there any confirmed reports of either ufo encounters or alien induced sleep paralysis?

i thought they were still both speculation?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
i used to get it when i was younger, not had it in a while thankfully. Can be a very scary experience, it usually feels to me like i am submerged in water and i have to break out, get to the surface and get out of it. I always feel as if i dont get out of it i wont wake back up

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Thats a very informative and enlightening post thank you very much for the info, I was wondering if you have ever tried to astral travel or whether you would be interested?

I would really encourage anyone experiencing sleep paralysis to give astral travelling a try. You can turn a very frightening experience into a very pleasant and enlightening one.

There is really nothing to fear except maybe a mind thats more open if one tends to fear such things.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Hi, I had sleep paralysis around twice when I was in my early twenties. It remains the scariest experience of my life.
1. How old was you when it first happened / which area was you located?

- 21, I was in my bedroom in bed on both occasions.

2. How long has it been going on/does it still happen?

- Hasn't happened since.
3. What you saw (if anything).

I went to bed early, I could hear my housemates downstairs watching tv and stuff. I suddenly heard my bedroom door open and was aware of a presence in my room. I think I also saw my room light up a little as the door opened. Initially I though the cat had pushed it's way in so wasn't alarmed, until the door closed - cats don't do that! That is when I tried to sit up and couldn't, I started to panic.

4. What happened?

Then the end of my bed pressed down as though someone was sitting on it, at this point I could make out a shape sitting on my bed. I was freaking out by this point and tried to scream, but nothing came out! The shape literally moved up the bed and lay across me, it was like a shadow but with form, parts were grey. This is where it gets really weird, I "said" by thought "What do you want, go way!" and its "head" turned and spoke to me in an unintelligible voice, kind of like a low voice of someone in slow motion. it spoke for a second, then rapidly moved up me, there was a rushing sound and it seemed like the curtains above me were blowing (the window was closed) and it was gone. I got up, screamed and ran down to my mates! The whole thing lasted 10 seconds.
5. How long did it last?

10 seconds, but it felt like an eternity.
6. Was you able to do anything to stop it?

NO, I struggled but it didn't work.

7. Are you a religious person?

Semi, it happened again and we got the house blessed by a Maori priest, it never happened again interestingly. She said a lady had killed herself in my room!!

8. Was you contacted by something, if so what did it/they say?

See above!

9. Did the experience feel positive / negative.

Negative, so flippin scary, I almost died, the second time I slept on the couch!!

10. Was you left with any after effects? (Feeling sick or different in yourself)

Only mental, this was before the internet really went crazy so I wasn't aware of sleep paralysis until much later. I thought it was a ghost.

Hope that helps friend, I swear it's all true, I'll answer any more q's you have, all the best, Kiwi

I said "around" twice because I had similar feelings that something was going to occur, but it never did, this happened 3 times.

edit on 17-8-2011 by kiwifoot because: addition

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

1. How old was you when it first happened / which area was you located?

The first time was probably 20 to 25 years ago. I'm 40 now.

2. How long has it been going on/does it still happen?

It happens about once every year or 2, the most recent one was a few weeks ago. Many times it has been associated with viral infections (which I think is a messaging system, I often have interesting or intense visions and dreams associated with flu symptoms).

3. What you saw (if anything).

Normally when it happens, I've become aware that I'm dreaming, I want to wake up for a reason, eg. Going to toilet, want to check if something I've heard was in the dream or outside. Frequently I can then force myself to "wake up" that 'pops' me into another level of dream where I can recall another dream space I've been in. Forcing a wake up from that then pops me to the next level of dream till at the end I'm awake in my bed in sleep paralysis. The final level of waking up is getting my body to move again, which can sometimes be VERY difficult. I've on occasion counted as many as 10 of these dream levels, each of which is a complete world where in some cases I'm someone with a full life vastly different to mine.

4. What happened?

The first time it happened I had already read about it and how your brain stem inhibits muscle movement when you're dreaming, so it wasn't scary once I realized what it was happening. These days when it happens, it is kind of fun and I try to figure out exactly what the process is to get out of it (if I'm lucid enough, it varies).

5. How long did it last?

Normally just a few minutes. Sometimes I'll get that far to realize the voice or sound I heard was in one of the dreams and I'll go back into dreaming, which then often results in a lucid dream. (Flying YAY).

6. Was you able to do anything to stop it?

Yes, some intense effort and concentration eventually breaks through.

7. Are you a religious person?

Depends what you mean by that. I'm not conventionally religious no. I prefer proof over belief. I also take direct experience as valid input and have this vague suspicion that reductionist science will eventually deeply explain by what is meant that the universe IS the mind of 'god'. And exactly how that works.

8. Was you contacted by something, if so what did it/they say?

The concepts I have explored especially with some flu virii tend not to be directly verbal.

9. Did the experience feel positive / negative.

Fascinating. My reflection on experiences tend to be positive irrespective of the experience, eventually anyway

10. Was you left with any after effects? (Feeling sick or different in yourself)

Wonder and satisfaction that I could find the right leaver in my brain to pull to break through.

I have not experienced it as alien or external to me at all. Except in the sense of interacting with a virus as a information transfer process/system.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Everybody suffers from sleep paralysis . It is a natural state .
Muscle atonia is a natural part of REM sleep . When this occurs pre REM , it is known as Hypnogogic sleep. When it occurs post REM , it is known as Hypnopompic sleep .
There is nothing paranormal regarding these sleep states , other than the wishful thinking of certain individuals .

I suggest to anybody who refutes my statement , to go and do a little research....It's good for the soul .

Meanwhile , back at the ranch .........
edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
[color=RED]UPDATE: EDITED THE ENGLISH IN MY POST AND ADDED A VIDEO. I WILL BE CONTACTING CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS VIA PM.

THANKS FOR HELPING WITH MY RESEARCH FOLKS, GREAT ACCOUNTS SO FAR.
edit on 17-8-2011 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by tpg65
Muscle atonia is a natural part of REM sleep . When this occurs pre REM , it is known as Hypnogogic sleep. When it occurs post REM , it is known as Hypnopompic sleep .
There is nothing paranormal regarding these sleep states , other than the wishful thinking of certain individuals .

I suggest to anybody who refutes my statement , to go and do a little research....It's good for the soul .

I refute your statement. Ive never experienced sleep paralysis in 20 years of my life.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers

The reason i ask it here is because its usually accompanied by some sort of alien encounter...

are there any confirmed reports of either ufo encounters or alien induced sleep paralysis?

i thought they were still both speculation?

I thought that was how most so called "alien abductions" started...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
You might want to check out the early parts of the novel Moby-Dick. In one early scene where the narrator Ishmael is staying in an inn, he describes a bout of sleep paralysis. The book was written in 1851, so it wasn't something cataloged in any medical/psyche manual since there wasn't a science of psychology back then. I'm quite certain the author is describing something that happened to him.

Edit:

Here, I found the relevant quote:

For several hours I lay there broad awake, feeling a great deal worse than I have ever done since, even from the greatest subsequent misfortunes. At last I must have fallen into a troubled nightmare of a doze; and slowly waking from it- half steeped in dreams- I opened my eyes, and the before sunlit room was now wrapped in outer darkness. Instantly I felt a shock running through all my frame; nothing was to be seen, and nothing was to be heard; but a supernatural hand seemed placed in mine. My arm hung over the counterpane, and the nameless, unimaginable, silent form or phantom, to which the hand belonged, seemed closely seated by my bed-side. For what seemed ages piled on ages, I lay there, frozen with the most awful fears, not daring to drag away my hand; yet ever thinking that if I could but stir it one single inch, the horrid spell would be broken. I knew not how this consciousness at last glided away from me; but waking in the morning, I shudderingly remembered it all, and for days and weeks and months afterwards I lost myself in confounding attempts to explain the mystery. Nay, to this very hour, I often puzzle myself with it.

-- Moby Dick, Chapter iv, by Herman Melville, 1851

edit on 8/17/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration

I refute your statement. Ive never experienced sleep paralysis in 20 years of my life.

So , in your short life , you have never reached a REM dream state ? You my friend are a medical wonder .

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

[color=RED]UPDATE: EDITED THE ENGLISH IN MY POST AND ADDED A VIDEO. I WILL BE CONTACTING CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS VIA PM.

yeah, thanks for the apology in thinking that i stole someone else's experience...thats awesome

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

You can reach that stage without experiencing Sleep Paralysis. Most do it every night.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
reply to post by tpg65

You can reach that stage without experiencing Sleep Paralysis. Most do it every night.

Hi my friend .
Muscle antonia that occurs with REM is still sleep paralysis , but because one is in a state of REM , it goes unnoticed . So for any individual to claim that they have never experienced sleep paralysis is an impossiblity.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

So , in your short life , you have never reached a REM dream state ? You my friend are a medical wonder .

Of course i have REM sleep and had dreams before. The most ive experienced is when ive woken up in the middle of the night i felt really tired and i felt an evil presence and a faint whispering in my ear but i asked Jesus for protection and it almost immediately went away and i went back to sleep... i don't know if this was just my mind playing tricks on me because i was tired but whatever it was it went away as soon as i said Jesus help me in my head. But ive never woken and been unable to move so i don't consider this to be sleep paralysis.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Newz2387

yeah, thanks for the apology in thinking that i stole someone else's experience...thats awesome

Sorry for that my apologies brother thanks for sharing your experience.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

Yes, and my point is the individual in question didn't experience Sleep Paralysis. Sure we all go through it, but we're completely unaware of it at the time. Until we're conscious of it however, It's not an experience we can/should claim we had, IMO.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
1. I've had it twice, once when I was 16 the other time whilst I was 17.

2. Only ever had it twice (notably).

3. During the second time I had a really crazy dream, I got shot in the head by police at my friends house, I fell over, got back up, then I was handcuffed. The fuzz walked me round the block to some other house in which I have no recollection of, and I fell over with a head ache. I felt blood running down the back of my neck and I went to feel it and I could feel bone, brains and warm sticky blood, then I fell over and everything started going black, the headache kind of throbbed with the blackout. I woke up and I couldn't move, but I had a crazy headache. Strange!

4. Just a headache, unable to kind of snap out of the dream.

5.The first time went on for about 20 seconds tops, and the second time happened when I was dreaming but fully aware that I was asleep if that makes sense, so I wouldn't know.

6. Not really, I didn't really know what to do the first time so I just kind of waited, the second time was pretty similar to be honest.

7. No not really, I have a very catholic family but other than that I kind of distance myself away from religion. Though on the whole I see the various bibles of the world a moral codex, a guide if you will.

8. Nope, just the cops! Haha.

9. Well, the second time was very negative, it was terrifying, when I hit the ground I actually thought it was real and I was dying, I just see it as a bad dream though really.

10. Apart from the headache and the "wow what the hell was that all about" feeling not really no. I kind of see it as a cool thing, I mean, it was so vivid the second time round (what I saw and felt) I was actually scared of it being reality. A negative reality none the less, but it was a cool experience looking back on it.

I don't really see a link between ET's in sleep paralysis, there's a breed of goat thats body just switches off and plays dead. To me, it's not much of a hard concept to grasp that you're mind can wake up before your body. I think its kinda cool. But nice thread none the less!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Of course ive reached REM sleep / Deep sleep or whatever you want to call it and had crazy dreams before but ive never woken up and been paralyzed... The most ive experienced is when ive woken up in the middle of the night i felt really tired and i felt an evil presence and a faint whispering in my ear but i asked Jesus for protection and it almost immediately went away and i went back to sleep... i don't know if this was just my mind playing tricks on me because i was tired but whatever it was it went away as soon as i said Jesus help me in my head.

Did you know that POSTDORMITAL or HYPNOPOMPIC sleep paralysis can often be accompanied by hallucinations?
Why not go and do some REAL research on the subject , instead of relying on the statements of people who clearly have as little understanding on the subject , as you ?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
reply to post by tpg65

Yes, and my point is the individual in question didn't experience Sleep Paralysis. Sure we all go through it, but we're completely unaware of it at the time. Until we're conscious of it however, It's not an experience we can/should claim we had, IMO.

Come my friend , you can do better than that .
I am not always aware of my heartbeat or even my respiratory activity , but it still occurs , unnoticed

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join