It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis has anyone had it?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
There's alot of people just on this site alone i see and i'm telling ya i'm glad its nowhere near me anymore... you'll be very happy when it finally leaves you alone.... you may have to move though or find yourself a girlfriend to seep with in order for it to stop...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
i guess this is what i experienced. weird that i haven't brought it up or talked about it.

maybe a year ago.(its happened a few times prior) always a little after 4am.

deep deep sleep. then i am overcome with a lot of fear? i have this heavy urge that i am being watched. i don't want to say i feel anything (held down, paralyzed, weightless) but after reading these other stories. i think i lose sensation in my shoulders so i cant use my arms, because i wake up kicking. and that wakes me up. and this time i remember i kicked once or twice, sat up on my bed and in that sudden instant i don't know if it was visual, a feeling, part sleep. but it was like someone(i remember it clearly, it was as if i saw a greenish cape just the tail of it) had ran out of my room. i wake up i am sweating, frightened, a mess. not very much like me. i then am just freaked out for a couple of minutes. and fall asleep.

i always thought it was a nightmare. i have black dreams(nothing). so i never thought much of it.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
This happens to me multiple times a night, and it is very clear to me there is nothing supernatural about this experience.

When I was 12, I had my first experience with sleep paralysis. I was sleeping in the room my grandma had died in days before, and woke up unable to move. Obviously I was extremely frightened, and tried to scream but was unable. I saw my grandma standing in the corner of the room, but it was not a good feeling, I was scared to death. I knew I was able to move before I tried, because I just heard myself screaming.

I questioned this event for a long time, but it has happened enough since then for me to understand it. I didn't experience anything similar until years later after a severe head injury left me in intensive care for 3 weeks. Ever since then, my senses wake up just a little before my brain does. It is quite scary, and disorienting, and is very easy to think you are hearing voices or seeing things.

It happens during the day when I nap, when I have others in bed with me, and other times where I am clearly not being abducted, or there would be multiple witnesses. It also happens when I travel for business, and I do not believe a supernatural entity is following me around the country.

The visual components come from your brains tendency to see patterns in random sets of noise, combined with the fact that you are literally still half asleep. Your brain will try to process the input into something recognizable. If you associate sleep paralysis with aliens, you may well literally see an alien while you are laying there, but it is no more real than the alien you might have saw while you were dreaming.

I cannot speak for all accounts of sleep paralysis, some of them may well be abductions or other supernatural events. But most of them are just that: sleep paralysis. A common event with a scientifically sound explanation. In medieval times they called it the 'Old Hag Syndrome' because it felt like someone was sitting on your chest.
edit on 18-8-2011 by Akasirus because: Typo

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Going to high school back in the day, I had my first read of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Unlike a lot of people who have read these books and found them boring, they put a deep hook in me and I couldn't set them down...literally. On numerous occasions I fell asleep while reading them (not the fault of the books, but typical high school burning the candle at both ends).

Sometimes after falling asleep I would start to wake up, realize I had been sleeping but be completely unable to move for a hellish perhaps five or ten minutes. I remember trying to will myself to wake up. Very uncomfortable, to say the least and not an experience I would like to repeat.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
HOW TO MOVE -

Briefly I'll describe the trick I used to use; after reading these posts it sounds like a lot of people on here get genuinely terrified wehn this happens to them.

1 - Once I realize I am experiencing S.P., I begin to rapidly move my eyes and blink.

2 - I then crunch my forehead, cheeks, open mouth and regain control of my face.

3 - Next is neck (rolling head side to side) followed by moving/scrunching shoulders up and down,

4 - Moving arms, abs, try to twist torso or sit up.

5 - Legs quickly follow by this point.

If you try moving all at once you will panic. Do it systematically, from your head down and you'll break out of it in 10-20 seconds (at least in my experience).

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I've had it happen multiple times, but the period where it occured several times within several months was around 2008/2009.

1. How old were you when it first happened / which area were you located?
- I was 24 when it started. I just moved into a new apartment. I lived near St. Louis, MO.

2. How long has it been going on/does it still happen?
- It hasn't happened in over a year, but I assume it will happen again.

3. What you saw (if anything).
- The first time I recall it happening in my adult life was around 2004. I was asleep on my couch when I felt like I woke up. I could see the door to my basement from where I was and saw or felt something come up from the basement. It walked to where I was and crawled over me and laid down between me and the back of the couch. It seemed to wrap its arm over me and then whispered something in my ear. I don't remember what it said, but I knew it wasn't human and felt a negative vibe from it (not evil, just not very positive). I then was able to move and got up. For some reason I wasn't able to go back to sleep lol.
- Occurences seemed to increase when I began getting more interested in things such as spiritualism, UFOs, etc. I began feeling more and more like I was being watched or wasn't alone. Several "dreams" stand out where in one I woke up on my couch and couldn't move. The stereotypical grey alien was coming over the end of the couch and on top of me like it was crawling up to where my head was.
- In another I woke up unable to move and three shadow people were standing by my closet watching me. Around this time a crime involving a family being murdered happened about 1/2 a mile from me. Three people had died. I mention this as I feel the shadow people were related to that. I don't know why but I do.
I also want to note that these happened while I was living in different apartments/houses so I don't think it was tied to a particular place.

4. What happened?
- Each time I was unable to move for several minutes, but eventually came out of it.

5. How long did it last?
- Each instance seemed to last for several minutes. The period of time where it seemed occurences were more frequent was around 2009.

6. Were you able to do anything to stop it?
- Never could stop it, but it has not happened in a while.

7. Are you a religious person? (elaborate)
- I am a spiritual person and if I had to pick a particular religion I'd say Catholic. I believe all religions are equally valid though.

8. Were you contacted by something, if so what did it/they say?
- I feel I was being contacted, but I really don't have a message I could get out of any of the occurences. Since I can't definitively say they weren't just dreams, I don't know if it is just my subconscious trying to tell me something or something external.

9. Did the experience feel positive / negative.
- I'd say more negative than positive, but part of that is most likely due to me being frightened/anxious during the occurences. It just felt unique more than anything.

10. Were you left with any after effects? (Feeling sick or different in yourself)
- I feel more open to ideas that previously I might have written off as BS. I am a different person than I was 10 years ago, but I've always been interested in the types of things that are on ATS.

One thing I can take away from it is that, whether just dreams, hallucinations, actual occurences, or something else, I think it is important to understand what these types of things are. Question the experience, and look for answers.

- Dredge

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration SNIP

I should preface this by saying that I have very serious doubts about the so-called paranormal, ghosts, etc. I only told my wife, who wasn't home at the time this happened, about it and nobody else. I'm still not sure what happened, but here it is as best I can remember.

1. How old was you when it first happened / which area was you located?

Thirty years old, has not happened since, a small town in Wyoming.

Happened once, never since.

A hovering, glowing, very large (took up a substantial area in the room) hooded figure with long, slender, pointy fingers and a face I can best describe as skull-like but having fleshy features like eyes, a mouth, etc.

4. What happened?

I woke up shortly after 2am, in my house, in my own bed, after being asleep for about 4 hours. I very, very infrequently woke up during the night as I was a fairly heavy sleeper. I believe I was awakened by the incredible pressure I felt on my entire body.....like all the weight in the world was being pressed on me. I was not numb and could feel everything, just wholly unable to move due to the weight on me. I was underneath a sheet and a quilt, and I remember seeing the blankets pressed around me so that there was a solid outline of my body visible through the covers....like the pressure was all-encompassing and above the covers. There was a figure that, until immediately after I woke up, was silent. It was very large, had a kind of white/yellow/green glow and very large....the 'face' and 'limbs' and 'torso' of whatever it was were fairly distinct, but the edges of the 'cloak' type thing it was wearing weren't defined and sort of trailed off and gradually disappeared...kind of like a cloud. Once I woke up it seemed as if whatever it was noticed that I was awake and bent down over me, and emitted what I could best describe as a scream, but it wasn't voice-like....it was like an an incredibly loud scream-like siren of sorts that filled up the entire room....a very very strange noise. This went on for about 30 seconds or so and then the figure backed away and sort of dissolved into the dark. I was fully, 100% awake and as soon as the thing disappeared I was able to move and the weight was gone.

5. How long did it last?

Total time was probably about two minutes or so.

No.

No. Completely atheistic.

See above.

Incredibly negative. Like the darkest, most evil presence one can possibly imagine.

10. Were you left with any after effects? (Feeling sick or different in yourself)

Very rattled for quite a few days afterwards. Am now a fairly light sleeper, but don't know if that's necessarily related.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Been happening ever since can remember. Can last long as I want. First was scary and my thoughts was demon, until lest say 3years ago I thought this is just BS and I stop fighting it. Then I discovered the next level if I let it just go I start to lucid dream. During the sleeping par. stage experiences differ from electricity shock up to voices and then the pin down. During the lucid dreaming part I have the control do what ever I want to. To snap out lucid dreaming is easier than the pin down part. Before I realized the next stage I always had feelings of negativity until that day I thinked by myself BS and let it go to see what happen, that 1st lucid dream didnt last long was bit negative my understanding was small. Afther that my negative feelings changed to positive. No I do not agree with aliens and demons it just sleeping disorder I figured and is induce by depression, anxiety, stress etc those types of disorders. I can induce sleeping par. when ever I want to at this stage. If you fear this it will happen more. The mind is a wake while the body sleep. Next time let it go experience that next stage I didnt regret.

Got to warn you what ever you be thinking during the SP will hit you next stage. DO NOT THINK SCARY STUFF! YOU WIL EXPERIENCE IT! ! !
edit on 18-8-2011 by thestupidguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It began in my mid-teens, at least.

It has only ever been a rare occurrence for me. It happens when I've been keeping particularly abnormal hours, and am either extremely tired or not tired enough.

Not aliens, if that means anything to you.

4. What happened?
Couldn't move...which sucks, particularly if there are any hallucinations with it.

5. How long did it last?
Less than a minute, but it's hard to gauge exactly how long.

Eventually you just wake up. When it's occurring there's not much you can do to move.

Yes, Catholic. I believe demons and ghosts exist, but in no way do I think the paralysis is associated with them.

Was I tricked by my brain into believing I was contacted by something? Nope.

Negative mostly, sometimes amusing.

None.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Ive had Sleep Paralysis my whole life. It dosent happen like every night but at least once a month. I Really dont think it has anything to do with aliens lol. Its caused by PTS if anything.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Big mistake. Sleep paralysis is actually a pre-symptom of astral projection.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by samcrow

You weren't abducted by aliens my friend, you astral projected.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Okay, seems I am the most expert on Sleep Paralysis because I had it like every month for the last 10 years. Here is what I've found out.

First time it happened when I was 20 years old. I never had any weird stuff before.

I remember that time because it was the scariest ever. I didn't know what was going on and I was shocked for more than 5 minutes. I prayed to Holy Mary to help me and then I woke up. I was just paralyzed without any other side effects.

Next time I was more prepared and I made patience and I just woke up after 3-4 minutes. 3rd time same stuff. After 10 times I decided to explore some stuff. So I did the following. I concentrated hard and put all my strength to rise from my bed. Then voila, I felt like I literally left my body and I was floating in the air above my bed. It felt so awesome and it was the first time that I was not scared. The flight was difficult and after a few seconds I woke up.

Since then I have SP regularly at random times once every 1-2 months. I have discovered the following:

1. In order to have sleep paralysis you need to sleep laid on your back, without a big pillow. It is strange but I never had sleep paralysis when sleeping on the side or face down.

2. I also increase chances when I am tired and when I take a nap and not sleep at night. Usually tired and sleeping around 16:00 17:00 increases chances a lot.

I've met people who had this experience but only at the point of paralyzation and only once in their lifetime which they remember it because it was extremely scary. I am the only one who I know to have out of body experience.

I also made the following experiment once. I made my girlfriend to write on a paper a name and hide it on the top of a bookcase in order to fly during SP and discover what she wrote. I tried to fly towards the bookcase many times but the flight is difficult and I could not control it well and I always failed. I also could not pass through walls. So it could be 100% hallucination and not the case that many people believe that the soul leaves the body.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by turk182
It's demons. Plain and simple. There have been different names for this all throughout history, from all different civilizations, but the experience is always been described the same. for hundreds of years.
They are demons and the only way to free yourself is to call out the name of Jesus Christ.
Trust me. I have years of experience with this going back to my childhood in Salem,Massachusetts in, what I thought was a haunted house. God Bless.

I have no problem with people entertaining the possibility that sleep paralysis might be caused by demons, as most people describe the experience as invoking fear and "feeling evil" and involving some other conscious.

But to say "Its demons, plain and simple" just demonstrates that you are not in any way approaching this with an open and curious mind that is required of anyone seeking the truth behind anomalous experience.

I was interested in the book "Spiritwalker" by Hank Wesselman that he describes some experiences like sleep paralysis which lead him into an altered state of consciousness where he experiences very detailed and realistic experiences like he is temporarily occupying the body and mind of another person in another place and time. And interesting read.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by theinfernal

Thanks for sharing your story, im actually amazed at how many people are experiencing these demonic spirits.

I think that conclusion is unwarranted. There is really nothing that I can see which suggests these experiences really are "demonic" in nature, other than the cultural conditioning in Christian dogma which preconditions people to assume that anything unknown and scary is "demonic".

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Hi there

I'm not sure how young I was but estimate around 13. I am from Ireland

About once every 4 or 5 months.

3. What you saw (if anything) and 4. What happened?
I have saw many things - some that have terrified me and some that have provoked no reaction. I have saw a black dog that emanated pure evil that just stared at me with such a terrible look in it's eyes that I swore it was going to steal my soul. I have saw a bipedal creature with huge salivating jaws, heard it's breath as it was just about to tear my face off. On less scary times (!) I have saw floating spiky orbs of bluish light flutter around my room and spider-like creatures (only far too many legs) crawling up my bedroom walls and disappear into them. I I have also seen while light outside my window through the curtains.
Most recently (though I confess it was after reading a lot of UFO sighting on ATS) I saw a grey alien in my bedroom doorway.

5. How long did it last?
Anything from (it seemed) like minutes to seconds

No, never I can't move at all even though in some cases I've wanted so badly to get away.
I do not follow organised religion but am not closed to it either.

See above. Never any verbal or physical contact however.

Orbs and spiders I would say positive. Light I'm not sure. 'Creatures' negative.

A bit shaken up the next day and evening. When I was younger I didn't sleep very well for a few nights after.

That would be all!

I also lucid dream quite frequently and I've heard sleep paralysis can be an unwelcome side effect.
edit on 18-8-2011 by umbratica because: added some info

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skorpiogurl
.....Just relax.... instead of focusing on trying to wake up or flying into a panic, focus all of your attention on just wiggling your little finger....

If you've had an episode of sp more than a dozen times I don't understand why you still find it terrifying.

No, I am not responding to anyone in particular. Just thinking outloud.

I tend to agree with that. The first time I experienced SP, it happened three times in the same night. I was quite frightened by it because I had no idea what was happening. After I read an article about it, I felt comfort in knowing that it was not an uncommon experience and it was therefore not that scary.

I did find out one time it was possible to sit up in bed and close the window while experiencing "sleep paralysis", hover this took a lot of concentration and effort.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Two words:

Search

Function

And yes I have experienced it. Not fun at all.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
A couple years ago I awoke, not completely lucid though, to find that I couldn't move my body. There was a person staring at me. It was Ray Kurzweil, the inventor and proponent of the Singularity. I knew it was just a hallucination, and so I fell asleep. Or was it just a hallucination? Maybe Ray visits me at night

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I've had several instances of Sleep Paralysis in my time, as follows:
The first time, I was 21, living in New York City. I woke up, lying on my right side in bed. I could see the room; nothing appeared unusual about it, but somehow I "knew" that something completely evil had found its way into the bed with me, & was lying behind me, staring at me & contemplating its next move.
I think that because a part of my conscious mind had awakened, this seemed more real than dream, & I found the situation to be terrifying. My way of dealing with threats and/or fear has always been to confront it. When I tried to roll over, jump out of bed, etc, to deal with whatever was behind me, I found myself unable to move, completely paralyzed, & became even more terrified. Hard to say how long it lasted, as it was really a state of mind outside of any time reference.
I still don't understand how I managed to fall back asleep, but that's what happened, as the next thing I remember is waking up normally in the morning. Incredibly, it took a few minutes of lying in bed before I remembered, with a jolt, what had "happened" during the night.
I'm not a particularly religious person; I had previously read about sleep paralysis, & found it fascinating that I now had some firsthand experience of the phenomenon. However, I never have forgotten how totally frightening it was!
I wasn't contacted by anything, but as I recall, I became aware of the "vibes" coming from the evil entity behind me. There were no lasting after effects, other than a renewed sense of wonder at what life offers up in the way of experience.

The 2nd time was the next year, still in NYC, & was totally HSP: I awoke in bed to the sound of steady hissing, coming from somewhere past the foot of the bed. I was able to look in that direction (lying on my back this time), & was shocked to see a nasty-looking, little gnome-like man, spraying something in the air above me. When I tried to jump up from the bed, I found myself unable to move, trapped inside my body, & I realized that the man was spraying a paralysis gas.
He gave an evil laugh, & advanced on me, saying, "I finally got you, didn't I?" He took hold of my throat, & started throwing me around on the bed. As this went on, I got angry with the little #@@$, & was determined to fight back. This woke me up, & I found that for at least part of the experience, I had been thrashing around on the bed, the blankets having ridden up to be caught around my neck! I realized that I was still hearing that hissing sound even after I woke up, & found that it was the steam heat radiator's relief valve letting off excess pressure, as the radiator had begun to heat up, probably waking me up just enough to have this incident happen.
Once I realized what had happened, I thought it was hilarious. Several years later, I came across mention of the "Hag Syndrome" in my reading, & recognized it for what had happened that time.

I'm now in my 60's, living in San Francisco, California, & have had 2 incidents of Sleep Paralysis in the past year, both of them similar. In the first, my deceased mother had come to visit, & was sitting in a chair by the bed; in the second, it was a friend who had dropped in. As a testament to how strange that state of mind can be, I saw nothing unusual about my first visitor, any more than I did about the second.
In both cases, I tried to answer something said by my visitor, & was surprised to find out that I couldn't open my mouth to speak. Again both times, I could use my vocal cords to make sounds, but could not open my mouth, so that all I could hear was a "Mmmmph, mmph" kind of thing. Eventually, I made enough noise to wake myself up. These 2 were funnier than they were upsetting.

I think that what makes this situation so compelling is the fact that we become partially conscious during it, so it seems to be more of a "real" experience than it does a dream. I suppose the only one of those events that even comes close to an abduction scenario would be the little guy with the spray can. As I did find a real-world cause for the creation of that element, I'd have to say that none of these incidents involved participation by any independent, "outside" entity.

Thanks for starting this thread; it brought back some freaky memories, & it's extremely interesting to read the experiences of others in this vein.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join