It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No road home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
[This was a thread of Silent Thunder feeling sorry for himself, and upon second thought he decided to remove it because such self-indulgence could not possibly be of interest to anyone besides himself.]

To make your time clicking this pitiful thread more worthwhile, one of the following fine links is recommended:

GM Corn Developed For Fuel Instead Of Food :
www.guardian.co.uk...

The San Religion:
en.wikipedia.org...

Every Hour Of TV Watching Shortens Life By 22 MInutes
www.telegraph.co.uk...

New Terrorist Database Rankles Privacy Groups
www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com...

Germany, France Propose Collective Government for Eurozone Led by EU President
www.cbc.ca...

edit on 8/17/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
...ok
feel better

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Newz2387
...ok
feel better

Yes, thanks.

Never mind that. I think I'm going to scrub it.

Thanks for reading, anyway...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
[This was a thread of Silent Thunder feeling sorry for himself, and upon second thought he decided to remove it because such self-indulgence could not possibly be of interest to anyone besides himself.]

To make your time clicking this pitiful thread more worthwhile, one of the following fine links is recommended:

GM Corn Developed For Fuel Instead Of Food :
www.guardian.co.uk...

The San Religion:
en.wikipedia.org...

Every Hour Of TV Watching Shortens Life By 22 MInutes
www.telegraph.co.uk...

New Terrorist Database Rankles Privacy Groups
www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com...

Germany, France Propose Collective Government for Eurozone Led by EU President
www.cbc.ca...

anyway you could link my world war 2 doc to that?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Newz2387

Don't know what document you are referring to offhand, but if you want to link to something by all means please go ahead and post it here, unless it goes against ATS T&C for some reason, of course.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Newz2387
reply to post by silent thunder

World War II DOC *NEW

OK, thanks. Just watched it. I'll embed it here, for those interested.

Here's my feedback, if you are interested:

I think you did a very good job with the production of it. You have a good clear voice and your reading was very smooth and professional sounding. The choice of background music, the clips you chose to insert...all that was great. The content itself is pretty straightforward...it's the "orthodox" WWII story...this being ATS, you will probably have people who would see it differently to say the least...but overall that's neither here or there. Good job, better than I could do anyway.

Would you consider adding pictures? Because as I'm sure you know, the image you chose doesn't really go with the subject matter. That would be my only recommendation.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Shoot, you were feeling sorry for yourself and I missed it?

At least tell me why you were feeling sorry for yourself.

Couldn't get home? Car broke down?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Maybe they were doing construction one the road leading to his house and he had to hoof it and take the sidewalk; hence the title: No Road Home.

Of course that's just my wild ass guess.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I used to have a very good friend who would worry that there would be a "place she could get to in her mind that she couldn't get back from." I thought this was strange fear at the time...if you could think yourself into a state of mind, surely you could also think yourself out of it, no? I spent a rather surprising amount of my adolescence soothing this one particular phobia in this one particular person's mind.

I still believe if you can think yourself into something, you can think your way out. But I now know there are indeed places we can go from which we can't get back, and not just states of mind, either. I've been moving around the globe in one way or another for 24 years now, and now after all that time, there's nowhere to go back to. It's not an uncommon problem these days, I'm sure...we do live in a rootless world. Some people's rootlessness is just a little more...rootless, that's all.

Robert Frost wrote that "home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in." The only place like that for me is the place I make myself. Again, certainly not an uncommon problem these days. But how can I miss something I never really had? Are we all walking around nostalgic for the impossible?

Bah, self-indulgence. In the old days I could confine feeling sorry for myself to my journal; now I get to eviscerate myself in public. Teh Internets.

Thanks for being out there, my friends...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

ST, I think you are one of the most interesting people I know. *e-know*

There have been times that - even though I have a stable home, I feel somehow "homesick". I'm not sure where that comes from. Maybe missing other eras, parents, siblings. Even exes. lol. Never thought that would happen. Wish I could shake 'em up in a bag.

I have at this point positioned myself in a beautiful home, with things that I admire, and pets that I love dearly. I have a few friends, not many. But I still sometimes identify a sad feeling I might get, as "homesick".

Like, I want to go home, but I am home.

God, how depressing.

BUY A HOUSE. Stop renting, if you are. Make your own bad-boy self a home.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Robert Frost wrote that "home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in." The only place like that for me is the place I make myself. Again, certainly not an uncommon problem these days. But how can I miss something I never really had? Are we all walking around nostalgic for the impossible?

...wish i couldve read your rant but o'well...

...robert frost had a myopic view of what "home" is and thats common for a lot of people but it certainly is not the norm cuz, really, there is no such thing as "the norm"...

...i've heard the phrase "you cant go home again" countless times and with many interpretations... heard just as many that said the opposite and i favor that aspect, as well as the one you stated about home is where you make it...

...gram parsons wrote - twenty thousand roads i went down, down, down and they all led me straight back home to you...

...patty griffith wrote - i've had some time to think about it - and watch the sun sink like a stone - i've had some time to think about you on the long ride home...

...jason boland and the stragglers have an old adage in one of their songs that says - i have a harmless habit of being fine where ever i am... thats my cup of tea...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

the birds have their nests, the foxes their dens, the Son of Man
hath no place to rest his head

that is price you pay for spiritual awakening

Castaneda put it as being on a journey back home (Journey to Ixtlan)
which was their home before spiritual awakening but to which
they never could really return because they had changed their
perspective of existence.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Oh that was nice
And thank you very much for the nice complement...much appreciated. I'll just be tongue-tied about that for a little bit.

On the balance it has been a strange week. Everybody seems out of kilter somehow. You injured your foot (for which my prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery are offered) and wrestled with the limits of compassion, no? Meanwhile the news these past few weeks is just abysmal, even by seasoned ATS doom connoisseur standards, I think it's fair to say. It's no great joy to be proven right about such things, is it?

Well, enjoy your roses, that's where its at. Ttake some extra time, sounds like the perfect place to do so...it's nice to know such places still exist.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

A harmless habit of being fine, hmmm? Nice, I like it, I like it.
When I was a teenager on the road with my girl we had this phrase we would say to each other: "If the sky is thy roof, then so much the better." I don't really know what it means or even where it came from originally, but all these years later, tis true, "mobility is nobility." I guess I couldn't have it any other way even if I wanted.

Anyway I'm nobody to complain, I've got everything I need...but I've gotten so detached from the world, its ridiculous. I mean that psychospiritually as well as in actual fact. What a strange thing. yes, it is a better place to be than the alternative, but at the same time it does unexpected and not-altogether-beneficial things to the inner life. Anyway, the very fact I have the time and energy to probe these kinds of knots means I am spoiled in a way, when you really think about it. Although to be honest when I was younger, poorer, and doing much more physically exhausting and draining work, I still managed to agonize over similar things so who knows...

edit on 8/19/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

I hope that is true, I hope so. Who could want for anything more?

I like Castaneda a lot, especially the first book. I have re-visited it at various times in my life and each time it feels fresh.

Another old friend of mine (must be nostalgia nite I guess...) used to talk about "going around the wall." Another vague metaphor but it should be graspable for ATS minds. He was talking about seeing something behind the wall that most people stop at. Once you see it you can't unsee it, you can go back on this side of the wall but you'll forever have seen it and you'll never be fully comfortable again. A lot of people have been around the wall in various ways, and when you meet them you can always tell immediately.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

If you've got no other place to go to, you can always call ATS your home. You've been around here so long, a lot of us consider you a part of our ATS family and you're always in our thoughts and prayers.

Even the trolls are like a part of your family; like that crazy uncle who always gets too drunk at family gatherings and has to start a fist fight with someone. He may be annoying and get on everyone's last nerves but, the family just wouldn't be the same without him.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Thank you that's awesome. I really do feel like this place is my home, laugh though some may.

When we are all truly ancient perhaps we will have electrode-mediated virtual reality and visit each other's mental kingdoms. I can think of worse ways to go out...

new topics

top topics

join