It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Haunting Live Performances.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Just thought some may relate to this mode of thread.
Here is mine to start
Mr david Bowie in 1973.
Don't watch this if you are in any way feelin maudlin or drunk or both.
Though it is even better if you do

www.youtube.com...

Its a jaques brel song , but bowie takes it somewhere else in this performance.
edit on 17-8-2011 by Dr Expired because: forgot link sorry

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

edit on 17-8-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Wow!!!

Thank you for posting that. I've seen Bowie live twice in the late 90's and grew up on his music (among manymany others) but I never would have known that this cover by him existed without your post.

Great performance by one of the all time great emotive singers.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Yeah that was different not sure if I would personally experience it as haunting...but each experiences differently.

Are you a short person?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Cracking tune that, thanks for posting, it is 1 that you dont hear very often, in fact i had forgotten about it until you posted, used to be 1 of my faves when younger. Some very good truism's in there, you dont really get that in music these days.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by musicjunkie

Yeah he was out there, he says he wasn't an originator , but only a fool would say otherwise, what he was was a dreamer and a thinker. and God knows we need more of those?

here's bowie in approx 78. that was a 33 performance

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Narr Its all about Evanescence with Amy Lee....Heres Lithium...definatley a chilling tune.

Lithium

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Yaah great song but not quite "live"?
Live is different ow aboot supplying this excellent soong leeve?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Some of my favorites, I could literally post haunting songs all night though.......Let me know if you'd like some more!

Any thoughts people???
edit on 17-8-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

Man first of who was that singin and playing them blues?
That was the most in the heart stabbin reality check I have listened to for a while let me tell ya brother.
But was it live?
This a thread = live a hauntin performance, ya dig?
man oh man supply the live , but that was sure a spine chillin corn poppin jaw droppin blues

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Totally dig, Gary Davis did record that live though, just him and a guitar.....live! I know what you mean though, check out the other three, Son House live is a haunting Mother! Robert Johnson also recorded his stuff live, just him in a room with a guitar, although I do know what you mean......

Really glad you liked it thought man, really gives me a kick listening to the blues, gets me pumped. It's also heart wrenching and helps people connect on a human level. It's beautiful.
edit on 17-8-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Yeah listened to your selections , thanks man...and thanks mate for introducing the Rev ?Gary Davis , never heard of him before your post ( what the ?

Got any of him live?

Touched me

Yeah ....

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Super glad you now know of him, heres one I could find, really not much footage of him though. Hope you enjoy!

Enjoy brother!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Here is Joy Division Live (audio only) with a half face of Ian Curtis the lead singer/lyricist.
www.youtube.com...
Within approx three months of this performance Ian Curtis was found by his wife Hanging dead in their Manchester Homs kitchen, the offical coroners verdict "suicide".
Anyone who has empathised with the "real blues" will hear the blues in this very raw performance.
It has synths but it is blues.
He was so beautiful in his honesty and longing , but he was so lost, just like us?
The remaining members continued as New Order and done theirselves and him proud.
I have also supplie the link to the studio version of the song "The Eternal" . below that was released after his suicide.
www.youtube.com...
Blues, 100%.
And only the blue understand.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Thanks Brother...the eyes are all the same eh?
My mother,sister brother,son,daughter, black and white...we all feel the blues/
Some can communicate it more than others regardless of race?
Be it Gary Davis, Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson, Joy Division,David Bowie, Kurt Cobain,Robert Cray, BB King,Buddy Guy,Sonny Williams, Ray Charles,Son House,SVR,Kraftwek:,
....the cure....new order..... Suzzane vega ect ect ecte ect all expression about lifes sadness, hurt, unsurmountable blackness(God can surmount and carry us over anything) expression to us learners,its all blues?
Just love and pray for all of us lost... lost .....but forever trying wandering souls?
Thats what the blues men do for us?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I think this fits the haunting bill.......

www.google.co.uk...'s%20 someone%20antony%20and%20the%20johnsons%20live&ei=-oFLTr_cFMWEhQe2g4zwBw&usg=AFQjCNHuKBZY0fzMzq-n9bgvbvK8dbA4Gw

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Absolutely, I dont really think race comes into it at all, it's just that african americans have a deeper musical history. Although with that said there was a lot of country/mountain music about which ended up kind of merging with the slave music and african drum rythms to form what we now know as the blues.

As far as race goes, heres an 18 year old english lad:

The thing that rings true about the blues and what makes it a truly universal genre is that it is an emotion. EVERYONE gets the blues. Which is why it has been adapted into so many other forms of music, joy division, bowie, you name it, it comes from the blues. Im actually going to make a thread that takes people on a musical journey from the start of modern music and shows the links bit by bit and will basically show people how it all has happened.

The blues also doesnt need to be sad, whats so great about it is putting a positive spin on something heartbreaking. Let me know what you think of that video, and it IS live. Peace

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

My bad lol, I was just going to bed after a session earlia haha...Litium live is even more haunting

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Yet another excellent performance from Bowie...and this one was truly fitting the title of your thread.

Very "haunting" performance about that tragic city.

Just to throw a good emotional live clip out there...I submit Tori Amos doing Playboy Mommy

www.youtube.com...

No idea what year this performance was or where it took place, but...worth a look.
edit on 18-8-2011 by musicjunkie because: added link and stuff

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
One of my all time favorite live pefromances. A very cool band from the UK.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join