It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelts and furs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Hunting animals for food and then using their furs for protection from the elements seems like a worthy survival skill.
To this end I have begun researching how to effectively skin and preserve the pelts of various animals indigenous to my local area.
I have successfully attained salted rabbit and fox pelts and am looking for information on how to go on from here.
I have found many articles and guides relating to turning them into hairless leather products, but being in a temperate zone and having survival methods foremost in my mind, how do I use the salted skins now, with the fur still on them?
Do they need to be tanned or softened to make things like shoes and blankets?
Any help locating this information would be really great.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
you have to relax them in hot water until they are saturated, then you must tan them and stretch them breaking in the hide/pelt, some are more difficult that other, like deer or elk hides must be broke there fox and raccoon can just be stretch and worked, its work but its worth it if you have nice pelts

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Look up curing hides with brains. Most hunters use the phrase: "God gave each animal enough brains to cure their hides with." It's much more natural, and if this society falls apart, far easier to get a hold of than even salt at times.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

Learned something new today! I've been considering starting to raise rabbits for both meat & fur, and you've set me on a tangent today doing more research!

Oh, and S&F OP. Great topic.

edit on 17-8-2011 by 1FullHouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
A couple of years ago I found a great "how-to" from some native skills site regarding brain tanning.

I followed it step for step on a squirrel and though it stunk like holy hell it worked out well.

This season I think I'll try it on a deer. I just have to put together a proper rack for the hide.

I think this was it: Brain tan a squirrel

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
here's a link to a quick 4 page how too "Brain tanning
Furs by George
I've been leather crafting since I was kid...

BTW... most of us wait until after the second snowfall before hunting or trapping furbearers...
the little wee beasties can be crawling with ticks fleas and mites... but if you wait until after the second snow fall... they die off... so you dont get bit... and you get the better prettier winter coat too...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Plus, if you're killing in the late fall like that, you're reducing the strain that particular animal will have on the environment that winter.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Thanks for the great info guys.
The brain tanning sounds...interesting. It is great to know that this can be achieved with items on hand though, especially in a situation x scenario, these skills could be invaluable.
It looks like it will take some skill to get good results. Hopefully I will get something workable going.
edit on 18-8-2011 by ilandrah because: spelling

top topics

join