It sounds like you are going to be in for some pain regardless of whichever way you go. You may want to get another opinion if you are fed up with
your doctor--if I were you, I would got to one of the hospitals that specialize in opthamology or that have good opthamology programs where a team of
doctors will review your case and come up with a course of treatment. I have included the list of top opthamology hospitals (see below) in the U.S.
according to the 2004 U.S. News & World Report Survey--hopefully one is near you. If not, go to www.newyorkmetro.com...
which is the Castle-Connolly searchable database of America's Top Doctors, where you can search by specialty and location.
You also need an alternative pain management solution, which is another reason why a team approach might yield a better solution. I'm not sure what
the nature of your allergy is, but there are tons of new pain treatments available. I suffer from severe migraines and none of the traditional
courses of therapy worked for me. After five years of blackouts and ear-splitting headaches, I finally found a neurologist that off-label prescriped
an epilepsy drug that worked wonders. Botox injections are being used for pain management, also. You might consider seeing a doctor that specializes
just in pain treatment as well.
Hope this helps....
According to the the latest U.S. News study, the top hospitals for opthamology in 2004 are:
1. Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami
2. Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
3. Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia
4. Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston
5. Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
6. University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City
7. Doheny Eye Institute, USC University Hospital, Los Angeles
8. Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
9. Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis
10. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
11. Cullen Eye Institute, Methodist Hospital, Houston
12. New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, New York
13. University of California, San Francisco Medical Center
14. Cleveland Clinic
15. University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor
16. Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital, New York
17. Emory University Hospital, Atlanta
18. New York-Presbyterian Hospital
19. Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia