It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fish Hurt by Drug Waste

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Fish Hurt by Drug Waste

the-scientist.com

…the new study, …examined [fish] in a river near a Sanofi-owned facility that manufactures steroid compounds. …downstream of the factory’s discharge, the [fish] were largely “intersex,” with as many as 80 percent of fish containing both male and female sexual characteristics, whereas upstream of the factory, only 5 percent of the fish showed these abnormal qualities.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
MEN: You are being chemically castrated.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
For years, studies have shown that drugs contaminate our water - our drinking water, streams, rivers, ground water - all of it. Drug manufacturers dump their waste into rivers, and people who take meds pee out a whole lot - and it all ends up in our water.

Fish are not the only species affected - even men are being "desexed" in our contaminated world. Loam covered the problem extensively in his thread MEN: You are being chemically castrated.

There are NO regulations in the United States, the European Union, the United Kingdom and France “limiting the concentrations of pharmaceuticals released into the aquatic environment in either municipal wastewater or in effluent from manufacturing facilities.”

Big Pharma has been fighting against drug waste regulation for years - but the European Commission is finally considering regulating certain drugs. The Commission is expected to announce its decision later this year.

My Libertarian sentiments aside, this is a HUGE problem - and we do need to keep drug manufacturers wastes out of our water. We can't stop people from peeing, but we can force manufacturers to filter and neutralize their waste. ...They're not self-regulating, and they won't. It cuts into their profits.

Also of interest: The drug industry passed the oil industry a few years back as the world's largest, most profitable industry.

Consider this another Corporate Conspiracy, designed to protect profits over health (fish, animals AND peoples').

the-scientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17/8/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
The thing with the drug system is that it's very difficult to protect yourself from it. I know every time I go to the doctor or vet that I'm being ripped off too, it's just a farce. With all the money they make they should be able to afford proper disposal but i guess they only care about the depth of their own pockets.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Wow, this is really sad and ridiculous for this type of thing to happen! Your exactly right, Pharmaceutical companies are making a fortune. They advertise drugs for fix any type of problem one seems to have these days, and it's just getting out of hand. Then, for leftover drugs to be thrown into our rivers and really effect the animal life like that... We absolutely need to do something. Thanks for the info friend, I hope we can stop this before it really gets out of control. And people wonder why our world is going through so many changes...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
If pharmaceuticals are toxic to us and killing us, what make the fish any different ?
edit on 17-8-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

i've never understood why we see pictures of manufacturing plants with effluent pipes leading to waterways. the idea seems to me as being stupid as giving monkees loaded guns for toys.

i can understand corporate villains getting away with these shenanigans 50 years ago when there was fewer environmental laws and activist groups trying to make people aware of such atrocities. i thought this type of thing went the way of the do-do.

my state is a fine example of the price paid for industry. damn shame people don't seem to learn from past mistakes.

top topics

join