It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New High: 93% Say They're Paying More for Groceries Than a Year Ago

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I'm another paying more for groceries. I've tried to cut down on the shopping to the bare essentials but still have pretty high bills each time I go. You used to be able to get so much more for $50 several years back...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by type0civ

I remember when I would go to the store, and any meat that wasn't under $2.00 a lb was passed up by me....
and I still had plenty of choices of meat to buy!!! now, we wouldn't eat!!

if on sale, london broil is cheaper by the pound than hamburg is. we will buy that and ask the butcher at the store to gind it up for us. there's little fat, and well, although me and my son don't really like the hamburgers made from it too much, it's awesome in spaghetti and such!! and alot cheaper than $5 a lb!!!

I reckon the 4% or whatever that aren't paying more for their groceries are the ones who have maids doing their shopping and accountants looking after their fortunes!! ya know, like Obama, Geitner, and Bernanke......the same ones saying that there is little or no inflation..
they'd be better off asking thier hired help if they see any sign of inflation out there!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Buy your meat from a locker plant. It's fresh, no preservatives, and I'm only paying 2.50/lb

Shop the dollar store for soup, spaghettios, pasta, spaghetti sauce before you even step into the grocery store because its a lot cheaper there for the main brands even.

And yes, cost of groceries is killing my cashflow.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by Partygirl

I'd like to know who is buying groceries for the 4% who are just oblivious to the clear increase in price across the board.

Furthermore, I'd love to do more reading on the the ever shrinking quantities of products sold compared to the increase in prices. Pay more and get less and forces you to head back to the store just a little sooner especially with breakfast cereal. Big box/Same box only with a smaller bag inside.

Ramen Noodles anyone???

I'm one of the four percent, but only because I've started shopping much smarter over the last few years.

Life in the Army means a life on the go. Those tuna lunches are expensive! Now I cook everything, and use my microwave as bread storage. It works so well I use two microwaves for bread storage now!

So does that 4% represent those who shop lower prices (often at cost) and tax free at the Army commissary?
If you're shopping at a standard grocery store you may be shopping smarter but the you are still paying higher prices and often getting less for your money. Coupons are good at times but even that is a growing scam to get someone to buy more than they need or to buy something they don't need at all. Bulk buying is a good way to save money for some things but even some of those prices I see at BJ's are starting to climb as well.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Grandpa was reminiscing about the good old days

"When I was a boy, Momma would send me down to the corner store with a dollar, and I'd come back with five pounds of potatoes, two loaves of bread, three pints of milk, a pound of cheese, a packet of tea, and half a dozen eggs. You can't do that now. Too many damned security cameras."
edit on 18-8-2011 by N3k9Ni because: typo

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Only 2 years ago, our groceries were $50 a week. Now they are $80, for roughly the same stuff.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I spend about $60-$80 a week, at my local grae a market. i can get a sirloin steak, for about A$6.70-$7.50 a steak, i usualy buy 3..arnold bread, $3.49 a loaf, sometimes on sale for 2/$5.00, peanut butter, cheap strawberry jelly, eggs are like $2.50 a dozen. thats all i can really do. cereal has skyrocketed, and most of it al over colored sugar* at $4.59 a box and up...thats rediculous. the organic cereals are more pricey...at $6.59 and up a box, for less in volume. cant do that. grapes were on sale, 99 cents a lb...but im assuming GMO grapes. i have noticed, thier hungry man frozen dinners, and budget buffet meals, a dollar to $2.50 each..but thier half a meal really, high at least in calores, carbs, protein and cholestrol..nourisment at least. sodium is negotiable. coffee...has gone way up. i cannot say a 39 oz cotnainer of folgers is really worth $15 i remember when they were $9.99 before 2008. People are simply gunna wait for bargains and sales, rather than full price. that in trun, will hurt the employees, marketers and shareholders too..which i could care less about..not including the employees. the businesses shuoldnt be awed, when their proftis drop, and coupons flood it.
Ive seen in cvs's, known for markupprices, fiber one cereal, and Kashi brand, for $6.79 a box!!! effin cereal!!! you have to shop smart, for survival and nutrion now, not becuase thiers something different on the shelves...capitalims has taken away or freeom of having to afford variety

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

I live in a 3rd world country and although we're very, very wealthy agriculturally, prices of everything is going up. Soon I'll start growing veggies that I consume regularly such as tomatoes, potatoes, garlic, ginger, onions and carrots. I prefer not to buy from the markets because there are times when the veggies are unnaturally large. I'm quite the purist so I prefer natural.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join