It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is a regurgitated News site. -Thoughts on how to fix it.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Yeah. I have noticed that ATS is mainly (NOT ALL) just things written by other people.
Even peoples so called research is just rehashed work done by others.

No one actual does proper research of their own from scratch with their own experiments and info gathering. Just look at the 9/11 section. People claiming proof but its just stolen from other people with just as little sense.

IT needs tidying up and a section for original research...NOT just Google and you tube as that is not research.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Boncho you make points, and just slighly off topic your avatar makes me smile each time a post/thread of yours pops up, I think you are are a fun worthy member.
Go Boncho

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho I know I am a bit of a joker on the forum, but I still do appreciate threads that have time put into them. The superficial story pasting makes a majority of threads seem like General Chit Chat material.

There is no 'magic script' that can do what your suggesting in the "real world". A re-education of the masses would be a simpler task (and then, that too would be monumental). And the world is full of people that complain as you can't make everyone happy, and your just a factor in the above said equation.

So perhaps the evolution must start with "YOU", so lead us by "EXAMPLE" and be the "CHANGE" you seek.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I was thinking exactly (without a solution, though!) the same thing today as I noticed the proliferation of news threads. I was looking for something else to read.....besides news. Boncho is right....threads are doubled and numerous!

I started thinking that ATS is primarily a news site yesterday by the posts.

I wondered how I could separate the news from the rest without checking each forum for new posts individually.....to save time.

More choices is a good thing!

I second Boncho's motion to organize further!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
reply to post by boncho

If you were using your thinking cap, you would realize why this is............

Its simple, on news sites there is no discussion.......

On ATS there is.............

IF you dont like the format I guess there are other sites you can turn to ?
edit on 16-8-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)
I agree. That is the only reason I come here. I like the discussion about the current/breaking news.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

All news related sites are just regurgitations. I suspect that somewhere up the ladder(s) there are wires of stories that are already basically summarized that "reporters" just bang out some original writing to. From there, everyone on the internet copy/pastes these 2nd generation stories.

If you think you are only viewing "alternative" news anywhere, you are mistaken. It is all MSM news, just in sheeps clothing.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Before I knew of ATS back in the day I had to look everywhere for information of interest to me. The fact that people take the time to link to interesting articles saves me time. I can now get all the most important information I need directly from ATS as well as decent feel as to the sentiment of the people regarding these topics.

Ron Paul overkill, yes I will give you that but I read relatively quick and skim over title of little interest and it is no bother.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
How about banning news reposts and removing threads on said news.
Unless. Its a post refuiting or being critical of news. ATS could also hire and pay writters and investigators
edit on 17-8-2011 by Themadalchemist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
1. the content on the site are user generated. you don't think the content is as current as possible, start new topics.

2. lately, I've been seeing quite a few of our topics appear, one to three days later, on CNN.com, in the local (NYC) papers and on the local news. That would imply that the news comes from smaller outlets, gets discussed here and then in the main stream media. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the writers at cnn.com didn't surf our site, and others, for topics.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I've noticed this too and I think it's amazing.

It's a beautiful thing, to watch the MSM hegemony crumble. It's like a dam bursting bursting many leaks all at once...now, don't get me wrong, I don't want MSM news to disappear, far from it. However, I'd like to see it treated less like a business and more like a "calling," as it was in the old days, with the concept of the "Fourth Estate" and a committment to fairness. These days, that ethos seems to have deserted the halls of the MSM and cropped up...well, right here of all places!

If regurgitating zillions of great stories can help reform the MSM way of presenting news, than by all means bring it on!
edit on 8/17/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
1. the content on the site are user generated. you don't think the content is as current as possible, start new topics.

2. lately, I've been seeing quite a few of our topics appear, one to three days later, on CNN.com, in the local (NYC) papers and on the local news. That would imply that the news comes from smaller outlets, gets discussed here and then in the main stream media. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the writers at cnn.com didn't surf our site, and others, for topics.

I think that ATS may be used, but it isn't to scan for stories. That has happened a few times, for sure. But what is most likely is that the internet (en masse) creates a groundswell of interest in a story that MSM is ignoring. Once it reaches a certain level of interest it finally either breaks through the awareness of the thick headed execs who are not trying to make news insomuch as a buck, or it is picked up as a story that needs to be buried despite the interest, and it is attacked with mis/disinformation.

Small sites will never drive the news content directly. Only indirectly, as a barometer for public sentiment. The only way to break the MSM is to break up the concept of corporations.

S-Dog had a GREAT thread here dealing with "Gatekeepers". They are the problem, and they have their tendrils so buried into so many far reaching areas that they are now all pervasive. You cannot hide from them. Even if you ignore news altogether, the idiots around you won't. And you will always be subject to the emotions of the populace which are fueled by their incessant diet of MSM sources (even if in regurgitated state).

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

boncho you make a valid point with your observation statements. i appreciate your concern and sentiment and wish you good luck in getting your voice heard.

since ATS allows direct to public OP's without Mod Approval repetition results. i agree: the high amount of repetition on the site does lend to drag down the quality.

this is something i've seen others posts on and I've commented then too. being as i'm just another happy poster without a clue of what it takes to run a site i don't want to make some ignorant comment about changing the actual physical format of program soft ATS utilizes. i can't fathom how much work this all takes.

my hope: some day the folks behind ATS will be blessed with a windfall that leads to re-vamping. by having OP's submitted for Mod approval first the incredible amount of repetitious subject matter will dwindle to near none.

boncho what also occurs to me is maybe ATS rolls the way it does so people Can place an OP on breaking news without time delay. for all i know this is a major part of this place -- I'll admit, i'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, by far. often the obvious escapes me, go figure.

any way it goes, i've enjoyed your OP as i do reading your posts in so many threads. you've become a 'familiar face' on ATS for me, and you make coming here fun and interesting.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I read your OP and having been a member of this site for a few years ask that nothing be changed. I read most of my news from this site to start with. Any headlines worth reading always appear here, I like that.

Rhain

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
reply to post by boncho

If you were using your thinking cap, you would realize why this is............

Wow, that's rude, telling someone they're in a sense, mindless and lacking a brain capable of thought. Pretty bold though, coming from someone like you who like you who resides in *chuckle* "Tennesee."

/trollbash

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It's just slow in the conspiracy circle and people have grown tired of the old conspiracy news,
and they are trying to stir up something.
Just take a look at the latest topics that just popped up.
In this age of instant gratification,If something isn't happening every 15 seconds,BORED.
Just like my kids,they don't know how to tune out,turn on and experience real life.
Is that a quote from someone?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

As you can see in the picture below, 16 threads would be eliminated from the firehose, but still found in the news feed. If my suggestion was come to pass.

The material is still on the site, it is just a way for people to separate headlines from content driven threads.

This is a great idea! Often nowadays I just go to the specific forum I'm interested in and sort by "new threads." The fire hose is usually full of "Breaking News" repeats or political trolling. I kind of wish each forum had its own "Top Topics" page because sorting by flags or replies only emphasizes really old threads. So I think there would be a lot to gain by having a snapshot of what's trending per forum. Here's to hoping it gets implemented. --MM

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Mishmashum

So I think there would be a lot to gain by having a snapshot of what's trending per forum. Here's to hoping it gets implemented. --MM

And now we have the Trending topics page.

A fine addition I must add.

edit on 29-2-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by Mishmashum

So I think there would be a lot to gain by having a snapshot of what's trending per forum. Here's to hoping it gets implemented. --MM

And now we have the Trending topics page.

A fine addition I must add.

edit on 29-2-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

I don't know about the trending page.
Reminds me of a mixer remixing the same stuff.
If I had something to add ,I would.
Got nothing that would be of interests to the community at hand.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join