It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is a regurgitated News site. -Thoughts on how to fix it.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I apologize if this has been addressed before. Which would be an utter fail on my part....

Right now ATS has:

* live headlines | new topic fire-hose | alternative news fire-hose

I suggest that new topic fire-hose remove all- breaking off topic news, and breaking alternative news, breaking political news, etc, from it's feeds. Having a separate feed list for news related material, and non related material.

The reason I suggest this, is because there are at times, 20-50 new threads that are all just ripped from headlines of MSM news. Most of them do not have much added content inside them.

Not too mention, scanning over the fire-hose today, I noticed a repeat of stories that have been covered in the past few days. Which is a common occurrence.

Ron Paul is in the News.... 20 Ron Paul threads.

Elenin in the news.... 20 Elenin threads.

UFO's in the news, 20 UFO threads.

A cop is killed or kills someone.... You get the point.

[added exaggeration for dramatic effect](irony)

Not sure if this would solve the problem of regurgitation completely. But it would give an alternative to people who want to read headlines, and who want to read threads with subject matter.

I know I am a bit of a joker on the forum, but I still do appreciate threads that have time put into them. The superficial story pasting makes a majority of threads seem like General Chit Chat material.

Feedback on the idea is welcome.

edit on 16-8-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-8-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

If you were using your thinking cap, you would realize why this is............

Its simple, on news sites there is no discussion.......

On ATS there is.............

IF you dont like the format I guess there are other sites you can turn to ?
edit on 16-8-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

You are quite mistaken. All this is about is reorganizing the fire-hose into two sections. It isn't eliminating the content from the site.

Please tell me how a news article and 10 lines of dialog compares to a thread like this or like this which have a wealth of content?

As you can see in the picture below, 16 threads would be eliminated from the firehose, but still found in the news feed. If my suggestion was come to pass.

The material is still on the site, it is just a way for people to separate headlines from content driven threads.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

you are so annoying...

ATS is not a regurgitated news site... it is a discussion forum where people discuss a topic...they might flog the topic to death or repeat the info....

but so what??

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

The difference would be...

If you remember when there was BTS and ATS through a separate URL, the content was much different. Just as the content is still different between news and other ATS forums now.

What this suggestion would do, is screen the content driven threads from headline threads. That is all. Yes, the firehose looks like regurgitated MSM headlines with breaking news links in it.

That is my opinion.

I apologize that it annoys you. Perhaps some Yoga is in order? Or a wheatgrass milkshake...

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Reply to post by boncho

I actually like it like that. I get most of my news from ATS.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I apologize that it annoys you. Perhaps some Yoga is in order? Or a wheatgrass milkshake...

Boncho! Winning hearts and minds again, are ya?

On topic, it's really difficult to offer an opinion on a news story without offering some of that story that affected you and led you to comment on it. And to that end, most folks appreciate having a source reference to follow up with.

Of course, if you don't want to read it, you don't have to. Non-attention to any post here is just as easy as turning a TV channel.

Anyway, good to see that you're still paving the road with broken glass and rusty nails. Take care... catch ya around

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I get my news from www.rawstory.com...

then regurgitate it here. I don't know how to fix it, but I'm open to suggestions.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I am sorry no one understands what your talking about Boncho... I know exactly what you mean. Add another tab in the Recent Posts section fire-hoses for news. I am sorry the people who responded on this probably just saw the thread title and got ants in their pants. I completely agree with you Boncho and I think it would be a nice way to redistribute some of the posts and to focus the threads in their respective forums to be much more worthwhile. If I could star your posts I would. I will flag this for more attention Cheers

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by boncho

I actually like it like that. I get most of my news from ATS.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

So do I, and I enjoy the news threads. Although I call it regurgitated news, (because that's what it is)... I also like ATS for a source of news because I find the most interesting stories end up here.

My suggestion is only to separate news stories from content driven threads. As mentioned before in this thread.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
...yep, it is a regurgitated news site... ironic since msm sources are often demonized but are still the most used, lol... i understand your poisonition, errr, uh, position, boncho - but - i have issues with your plan cuz its like when the grocery store changes stuff around... it messes with my bell curve...

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
As you can see by this thread you will notice that people fail to read the OP clearly after the headline. Which, as many people who know Boncho, know exactly what I was pointing out...

Thank you everyone.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by scghst1

I know exactly what you mean.

Ignorance denied.

Well played my friend.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
My personal opinion is that I can circumvent my other news sources and just keep up to date on ATS all the while getting the topics I love to talk about while still staying up with all the current events.

I don't want to hear about breaking news on FOX or CNN, I want to hear about it on ATS so I get all opinions and view points about the story. I must whole heatedly disagree with you about this subject because I think ATS is a great balance between thought provoking and obscure topics and current events.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Its simple, on news sites there is no discussion.......

News Site

Discussion on news site.

156 comments. Not bad actually.

Your statement is false.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I completely see your point here. I dont necessarily agree with it, but i totally get it. Your complaint is not that we have a regurgitation machine here, which is by design, but thet yu want to differentiate between the news topics and the rest of the forum topics.

I personally like the set up, I just wish that the membership researched a little more before posting duplicates of duplicates of duplicates, and that the staff was quicker on the delete draw with the dupes. I know that the staff has way too much on their plates and it is just wishful thinking.

I also wish that dupe threads wouldnt just be closed but deleted in entirety as it takes up space on the firehose.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Bingo.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I have another idea...

How about Boncho quits holding out, and starts posting some interesting threads for us to read, instead of critiquing other's material.

Nah, that would be too easy.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I like it like this. So it is not broken to me...

And as they say, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Now, if you don't like ATS as it is...

Feel free to be an example. This is a member driven site.

Start submitting content that you wish to see on ATS.

Be the change you wish to see.
edit on 16-8-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
I like it like this. So it is not broken to me...

And as they say, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Now, if you don't like ATS as it is...

Feel free to be an example. This is a member driven site.

Start submitting content that you wish to see on ATS.

Be the change you wish to see.
edit on 16-8-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

To me,ats is an alternative news source with input from real people like you and me.
No editing out the goofy,weird,stupid ,unexplainable stuff.
Take the good with the bad.
It's true that there is alot of copying of msm reports,but with discussion and criticism of such stories.
All in all,it works for me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join