It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Video of Buffalo Protecting Young From Lions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

A friend of mine sent me this video and I thought it was amazing. Apparently Cape Buffalo are the number one man killer in Africa, over lions, crocodiles, elephants and rhinos. They also will actively seek out lion prides and attack. It's really something to see the whole herd come back and launch an offensive to save the baby.

This little guy survives an attack by a pride of lions and two crocodiles that try to play tug of war with him. I suppose I'll include a warning that it's a bit graphic.

Known as one of the "big five", "Black Death" or "widowmaker" in Africa, the African buffalo is widely regarded as a very dangerous animal, as it gores and kills over 200 people every year. Buffalo are sometimes reported to kill more people in Africa than any other animal, although the same claim is also made of hippos and crocodiles.[13] Buffalo are notorious among big game hunters as very dangerous animals, with wounded animals reported to ambush and attack pursuers.[14]

Link

edit on 16-8-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
i thought the main killers in african where a hippo!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Ah yes, the famous "Battle at Kruger" video.
This won some awards I believe. A Youtube award as well.
Probably one of THEE greatest scenarios ever caught on tape.
I'm sure this has been posted before though....

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Should have come in hooves swinging.

I really wanted to see that whole lion pride get stomped into the ground. Althought i admire the restraint showed by the herd... or was that just instinctual fear. Ill assume it was compassion lol.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by definity

Theres apparently some contention on that subject. Either way, being one of the top 5 is a pretty bada## title for a buffalo.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Hah...your friend likely saw this on cracked.com.

Cape Buffalo are apparently insane when it comes to retribution and defense of herd members. Screw lions!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
It's wonderful and worth a re-watch.
Even though I think it has been posted before, it's an amazing bit of film.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
double post madness??

edit on 16-8-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
AMAZING!
I have always wanted to see a video like this, Cheers for sharing!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

I think he did say it was from a Cracked article. Haven't been there in a few weeks though. Good site.

Sorry if this is a repost but I think it's worth a second watch if people have seen it.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Great video! S&F!
I would have liked to have seen where the buffalo were when the lions were facing off with the alligators (Rallying the troops?).
I kept waiting for them to charge into view!
Although I've seen the vid before too, it was nice to see it again, (Get away from the doom & gloom threads for a while!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jewells

I was wondering the same thing and think hey were probably off rallying the troops. I love when they one buffalo gets a little cocky and knocks the one lion in the air.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Yeah, it was friggin magic!!
My favorite part too!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I've seen this video a couple of years ago. It amazed me. I had no idea buffalo fight back like this. I knew they try to fight off attacks as they happen, but I've never seen them come back in a herd and attack lions to get their fellow buffalo out of a tough situation. It seemed very human.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

top topics

join