It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe is drinking the Tea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
With the way politics are going in Europe you would have to question who exactly is drinking the tea in the West.

Berlusconi Confirms Italy Moving Toward Balanced Budget Amendment
82% of French are worried about debt, only 24% want tax hikes to reduce deficit
Merkel, Sarkozy Want Balanced Budget Laws in Eurozone Countries

Now obviously these politicians and individuals are not advocating a ‘slash and burn’ type of approach but with proposals of balanced budget laws and opposition to tax hikes to solve the debt problem, the Europeans, at least on the mainland, do not seem to be taking a “spend your way out of debt” approach. So much for the supposed land of ‘free milk and honey’, Europe is now on track to cutting, capping, and balancing their budgets.

When will we here in the United States learn?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
They do not want to learn here. They want everything handed to them and have to do nothing to earn it. That is the state of our nation at this time.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Canada did the same and it worked. It would work here also.

Sad how the tiny minority who are true Progressives in the US have taken control. Lots of bribes in the form of political donations and they go merrily on their way to destroy our country. Bribe a Union here, give illiterate voters a handout there and take over.

Just like children our voters need to learn that strangers bearing gifts cannot be trusted. Look how easily the Union Workers were bought and paid for and the the Union Leaders were placed inside the Progressives pockets.

Good to see the Administrations third year approval rating is the lowest since Carter. On the latest polling I've seen 38% of Democrats are now for running another Democrat against Obama. Time for the Democrats to wake up and realize they have been taken over by a small group of people with bad intentions.

Time for both Parties to wake up in fact.

la2

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Thats right, the USA needs to start cutting the monsterous spending the federal government

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
So,Europeans drink the tea and Americans drink the kool-aid?

I see how it is

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

I see how it is

Hahahaha!!! Yeah, pretty much.

The majority of the left's voters who said that we should have free healthcare and that the impoverished's problems were because government didn't help out enough (programs, programs, programs!) are the ones that are thinking that we just aren't trying hard enough to figure out a way to spend our way out of this mess.

I wonder if they are the very same (X amount of) millions that have high credit card debt and low credit scores? Maybe we need to spend a bit more of that "program" money on grade school math and economics education.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheThirdAdam

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

I see how it is

Hahahaha!!! Yeah, pretty much.

The majority of the left's voters who said that we should have free healthcare and that the impoverished's problems were because government didn't help out enough (programs, programs, programs!) are the ones that are thinking that we just aren't trying hard enough to figure out a way to spend our way out of this mess.

I wonder if they are the very same (X amount of) millions that have high credit card debt and low credit scores? Maybe we need to spend a bit more of that "program" money on grade school math and economics education.

It all depends what the money is spent on. Spending it on welfare and unemployment benefits for example can help to stimulate consumer demand, enabling future expansion of the economy as businesses seek to capitalise on the bigger market. Spending it on universal healthcare can help to raise productivity of workers (as they are healthier, happier etc.) and thus economic output.

On the subject of healthcare, whilst I feel there are several compelling moral arguments in favour of universal healthcare I'm not sure it would be a good idea in the US at present given the size of your budget deficits.

Generally a strategy involving large spending cuts as well as tax increases where they will hurt the least is probably the best to take, at least in the short term.

new topics

top topics

join