It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant Forces Customers To Sign No Cellphone Contract Before Dining

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

A shout of OHHH MY GODDDD ARE YOU SERIOUS? SHE DID? The LED flash of someone Instagramming their entree, followed by look of smug gratification. Some jerk waving his phone around trying to get a cell signal Foursquare. Not anymore! Buzzing DC eatery Rogue24 wants hype to be the only thing in the air, making patrons ink a contract that prohibits the use of phones and cameras during meals. What! Creeping fascism! We should be free to do whatever we'd like in a restaurant, as paying customers! If I want to photograph every calorie I ingest or share my location with an indifferent would, that's my birthright! Right? Sure, it's innocuous, in the same sense that farting in a restaurant doesn't literally kill anyone. But maybe the gadgetization of dinner has come with some costs? I'm sympathetic to that argument, as are famous eateries like New York's exalted Momofuku Ko, which quietly bans phone usage on its website. So, yeah, the idea of a dining contract is incredibly obnoxious—it's a restaurant, not a missile silo. I don't want to have to enter a legal pact in order to eat. But keeping phones in pockets and off tablecloths could be good for food. And for the people you're eating the food with. Remember them?

I love this idea. I hate listening to people on the phone when I'm trying to eat. I wish movie theaters would follow suit, If they ban all kids and cell phones we may just be able to go have a nice meal without wanting to kill other diners! Imagine that!

link

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Things like this can be handled.
If we just put a label or mini law on it how are we going to stay human?

My opinions:Scrap this idea, someone has a phone on during movie/dinner? Tell em to turn it off.

It's called being human.
Eh maybe conservatives can flood this room poop talking me.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

If you own a business and are tired of people talking on the phone in your establishment what is wrong with having people sign a contract? It's not making a mini law. What does this have to do with conservatives?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Creeping fascism!

You enter the establishment wanting to eat but instead of being faced with sitting and waiting.
You're faced with sitting, waiting, and signing a contract.
Not using your cellphone is something that you do out of respect. Who needs people to be respectful if you can force them not to do this anyways?

Soon there will be contracts on farting, belching, and attempting to save someones life with the himlech manuver.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Why a contract? They don't need one. They own the place....All they have to do is put a sign up that says no cell phones allowed and then if someone tries to use one, ask them to stop or leave.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

So don't go to the establishment if you have a problem signing. I think the point of the contract is so that they can actually enforce the rule. Are you saying that you don't believe the owners should be allowed to do this, or just that you think it's a dumb idea?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anttyk47
reply to post by Domo1

Creeping fascism!

You enter the establishment wanting to eat but instead of being faced with sitting and waiting.
You're faced with sitting, waiting, and signing a contract.
Not using your cellphone is something that you do out of respect. Who needs people to be respectful if you can force them not to do this anyways?

Soon there will be contracts on farting, belching, and attempting to save someones life with the himlech manuver.

Next.....they will want us to sign a contract to have...or not have...a bowel movement.....(lol)....the majority of people don't want to come into a restaurant and sign an agreement .......some people want to remain anonymous....they pay cash for their meal.....and also what if there is an emergency.....and someone needs to get a hold of them.....I don't care what restaurant it is.....the food isn't that good!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

So don't go to the establishment if you have a problem signing. I think the point of the contract is so that they can actually enforce the rule. Are you saying that you don't believe the owners should be allowed to do this, or just that you think it's a dumb idea?

One, i never said that i wouldn't go to the said establishment because of my ideals. I said this was rediculous and a prerecusour for things to come. To say 'No cell phones' is rediculous considering almost everyone that can afford to go out to eat can afford one. They are always on and ready in case of an emergancy. And owners can enforce this without a contract. They resirve that right, so the contract in itself is a waste of time.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
...theres no need for a contract... i wouldnt sign it even if i had no intention of using a cell phone... i wouldnt be hateful about it cuz its their business... i'd just say no thx and take my tummy and my money somewhere less anal...

...private establishments have the right to refuse service... they should just post a sign "no cell phone use", just like they did when smoking became an issue... if someone refuses to comply or forgets, their waiter should remind them politely... if the customer refuses to comply - then the management steps in and either gives them another chance or tells them to leave... if they dont leave, well, then the cops get bothered unless the establishment has a bouncer...

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

How is it ridiculous to have a no cell phone policy? There are quite a few people that HATE listening to others talk on a phone while trying to enjoy a meal. Certainly the establishment could enforce the policy without a contract, but this gives it extra oomph.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

How is it ridiculous to have a no cell phone policy? There are quite a few people that HATE listening to others talk on a phone while trying to enjoy a meal. Certainly the establishment could enforce the policy without a contract, but this gives it extra oomph.

Well one, people are all in their own bubble.
How is it fair for two people talking at a mild pitch have their freedom to do so, but someone can not whisper on a phone?

And the RIDICULOUSnessness, is that you are required to sign this contract. As though it cannot be handled any other way.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Sounds like i will not ever be eating at that establishment anytime soon when I have to sign a waiver before I dine.
No if this is a private venue or club, they can establish their own rules. It is still upon the patron/member to accept their rules. ATS makes quite clear their disclosure for forum etiquette, you accept it and obey the rules or you are gone or do not become a member.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Because people are horribly irresponsible with phones. They leave them on, the thing rings loudly etc... I think this is a great idea, if you hate it don't become a patron.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

yeah lets do crazy things that hurt the profitability of our buisness

this way when the buisness in shut down they can claim its the devil technology and the liberals that ruined it.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Well this is a grand Idea for this restaurant.
I would welcome the thought.
It should be up the the restaurant to give the rules like this if they wish.
Hell, I would love to see them ban children.... litle buggers..

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by Domo1

yeah lets do crazy things that hurt the profitability of our buisness

this way when the buisness in shut down they can claim its the devil technology and the liberals that ruined it.

I remember mindless people saying the same thing about going smoke free in bars..
Hasnt seemed to stop the sponges in our area from going.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I highly doubt this is going to hurt the profitability of the business. It may lose a few customers but I think you would be amazed just how many people would embrace this idea.

The rest of your post was pointless.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I love the no cell phone policy. I absolutely hate it when I'm at dinner with someone and they answer or text or even play a game. Iphones especially have this attraction to people where they constantly are looking at everything, online little things updates, sports news whatever.

top topics

join